follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #43
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
The NSX is engineered as a supercar - it's designed for high speed hijinks, not the low-speed crap that is the majority of our driving in the States. The BRZ/FR-S outright excels at that stuff.
Absolutely. As evidenced by this Irishman's intermittent bursts of hilarity. "Oohhhh man that gets the can of gentleman vegetable stuff really goin' there!"
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K6ObYAvMr9s"]Toyota GT86 Dealer Test - YouTube[/ame]
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #44
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxy View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. This is such an awesome forum.
I daily my car, because i dont believe in paying for a car and let it sit. These cars are made to driven. This is just my opinion, so please dont take it the wrong way for those of you who garage your cars. The X is fun and a great daily driver, but it's also a hassel (esp. With parking). With a baby on the way and a recently purchased house, i think im at a point where i just need somthing that i dont have to worry about so much(parking, maintenace, roads etc...) about. However, i still want a small, agile, fun to drive car thats not too expensive to own. Like some of u mentioned. Why not keep the nsx and get an frs/brz. Yes, financially i can do that, but like i said i dont want a car just for it to sit and look pretty.
I will see if i can find the twin to test drive and then mKe my decision. Thanks again for all the replies. I will keep you all posted. Thanks!
i have a daily and a garaged car, i love it, it makes it more special when i get to sit in the garaged car and drive it
thats just me tho
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #45
acro

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I daily my car, because i dont believe in paying for a car and let it sit. These cars are made to driven. This is just my opinion, so please dont take it the wrong way for those of you who garage your cars. The X is fun and a great daily driver, but it's also a hassel (esp. With parking). With a baby on the way and a recently purchased house, i think im at a point where i just need somthing that i dont have to worry about so much(parking, maintenace, roads etc...) about. However, i still want a small, agile, fun to drive car thats not too expensive to own. Like some of u mentioned. Why not keep the nsx and get an frs/brz. Yes, financially i can do that, but like i said i dont want a car just for it to sit and look pretty.
I will see if i can find the twin to test drive and then mKe my decision. Thanks again for all the replies. I will keep you all posted. Thanks!
I agree do a test drive. The FRS handling is a brilliant but it is down on power in comparison to your NSX. Will you miss that power ? only you can tell.
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #46
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can't you just test drive that black brz? In your avatar?
I don't think you would regret going to the twins, but I think it would be hard to let go of the nsx.
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #47
Touge Monster

Drives: 85 AE86 Hatch, 92 SW20 , 13 GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Get a brz keep the nsx. I also own an sw20 mr2 turbo while its no nsx it's still a fun unique and different driving experience. I must admit my frs does pretty much everything better there is something to be said for the midengine layout.
Touge Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #48
dun3

Drives: 2013 Ultra Marine Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
2 Red NSX's spotted in Oakland today, within a couple blocks of eachother... It was nuts.. And sooooooo sexy. I say, keep the NSEX, and just buy a BRZ. Garage the NSX until you get an itch to go drive it again after driving around the brz for a while. It'll be worth it.
dun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #49
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I drool over the NSX, though I fear my expectations would be too high. That said, I still consider buying one, but not as my only car.

Baby on the way? I'd be getting a WRX hatch instead for the same BRZ coin. A bunch of power and practicality. I have a 4yr old - he climbs in the back of my BRZ fine, but I wouldn't want to use that car for hauling a newborn. (Plus when my son was a newborn, my wife would ride in back with him - can't do that in the BRZ!)

I'm in a somewhat unique position of owning multiple cars. You say you didn't like the soft top of the S2K, but they sell hard tops. You could get a Miata (first gen) for cheap that is well kept and has a hard top. You can modify it for cheap money too - quality mods don't cost a fortune on those cars.

The BRZ... what to say? It's a great car. It's bigger than my first gen Miata. Ride is great, more power, nicer interior, more comfortable, more room. Handles great - differently than my NA, as the Miata is 500 pounds lighter and smaller, you can just dance around in that car! But the ride is more jarring. The BRZ goes where you think - almost telepathically. You move the steering wheel and the car turns - right where you expect it to. Very easy to throw around as well - like a bigger Miata, with some serious chassis rigidity!

Now I love my Miata, but the BRZ does 9 things out of 10 better. Oddly, I enjoy the Miata a little more bc there's more "connection" and "rawness" there. Less isolation. Both cars put a smile on my face.

That said, since I have the BRZ, I could sell the Miata and replace it with an NSX (ok, there's a huge price difference but lets look past that for a minute). The NSX would be my sexy exotic. Would I drive it every day? No. But 3-4x per week maybe. Or save it for a treat, or when work is stressful and I need a pick me up. It would just be awesome to park in my garage. But... the BRZ would be more practical, more space, more comfortable. Less sacrifice. Still allow my son to ride with me. If I had both in my garage, I'd drive the NSX once a week just to feel "badazz", but drive the BRZ daily.

Now I'll toss back in the WRX/kid comment - bc I own a WRX wagon (Cobb tuned and modified). Holds a ton of stuff, extremely practical. You don't realize how many thing a 6 pound baby needs that comes in large boxes! And it's not just practical, but also quick when the turbo kicks in. And the AWD is jaw dropping if you've never driven AWD in the rain. You're at a T intersection trying to turn on to a main road, and there's 100% traction. The car just moves like there's no water on the road. And when you toss it around in the wet, you get these 4 wheel drifts instead of understeer or oversteer. Can be a lot of fun while being super practical. Not so great on gas though, but better than an SUV.

So - what should YOU do? If you're bored with the NSX, sell it. Buy the BRZ. Or better yet, buy a WRX hatch and also a first gen Miata to throw around curves. In either case you're going from "cool exotic car driver" to "general public" - but at least not all the way down to "Camry or Prius owner".

I think you'd like the BRZ, but it would never be as cool as the NSX. You could always tell people you used to drive an NSX...

(And depending on how you are, when that baby comes, "car coolness" might be the last thing you care about, and "car safety" could be the only thing that matters. Those little ones are so tiny and delicate at that early age. Sure, later on they become indestructible, but the first couple years you just want to cradle them from any harm.)
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #50
st162celica

Drives: 86 GTS Manual - Tornado Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Keep the nsx.

Got me thinking.
Currently 4 nsx's for sale in aust. About 35k miles. Around $50k aud.

How much are the nsx's in the U.S ?
st162celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #51
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I can relate. I had an MX5 and drove my wife's Prius (or her old Forester) when transporting my boys. The Forester and Prius are fine vehicles... for soul-sucking econoboxes.

So I went for the BRZ as a somewhat practical jack-of-all-trades sports car that my kids can ride in. I considered also keeping the MX5, but the thought of one of them sitting around unused irked me, especially since I don't drive enough miles to warrant having two "fun" vehicles.

It's met or exceeded my expectations in every way: I love this car. That written, my boys are old enough that they can get in/out of the BRZ without my help. ashtray is right: it'd be a PITA with a newboorn. 11 years ago, lifting my son's infant carrier out of my GSR's rear seat sucked, so I got a WRX.

It was a good car, but it took three test drives before I bought one. Its boost and loose-surface-AWD-drifting abilities? Big fun. Its understeer, lag, rubbery shifter, horrible brakes, mediocre steering, and heft? Not so much (and mods could only do so much). I ended up replacing it with an RX8, which like the BRZ had only moderate engine output, but was a blast to drive.

More recent WRXes (and STIs) are improvements over my old bug-eye, but they still don't compare to a proper sports car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #52
breaksjm

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS Limited 6-speed
I can see where the OP is coming from. While I would love to own an NSX (it was one of my dream cars) - and probably could afford one in very good condition - I'd rather go with the BRZ. There is something about a new, proper, spartan sports car that can't be had nowadays. Also, the idea of having an inexpensive blank slate to tune and modify is just awesome! What are the BRZ/FRS/86 competitors? The MX-5 (dated), Lotus Elise/Exige (not the best daily driver, but similar price for a used one), Porsche Cayman (expensive)? Not many options out there...
breaksjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
NSX>BRZ. If you can find a way to have both, then do it! If I had $28k cash sitting around, I would be considering a lot of other cars besides the BRZ. Air-cooled 911's would be the first thing I'd be looking at...

I used to think like you did - cars are meant to be driven and not parked, but daily driving them takes its toll over time. It doesn't hurt to pamper the car once in a while. I finally stopped daily driving my MR2 and got a daily beater, and I'm now much happier when I get in the MR2. It makes driving the nice car a "special" occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st162celica View Post
Keep the nsx.

Got me thinking.
Currently 4 nsx's for sale in aust. About 35k miles. Around $50k aud.

How much are the nsx's in the U.S ?
Depends on the year and mileage. A 1991 model with over 50k can be had for the $20-30k USD range. Anything newer and the price goes up significantly; right now there's 9 on eBay ranging from $25-50k.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
st162celica (02-04-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #54
Enilder

Drives: Porsche
Quote:
Test drive and get whichever works better for you. Can't speak for NSX maintenance but at least Porsches from 90s or early 2000s, they will cost an arm and a leg (different story if you are DIY). Seems like it's just a matter of time to find out what your heart desires. GL.
Enilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #55
brett_g

Drives: 13' BRZ
OP.. where in Texas? I'll let you drive my BRZ!
brett_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #56
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Happened to see an NSX on my way home tonight. There are not very many in town, so I was surprised to see it at 10pm on a cold February evening.

After he turned off the road, I couldn't help but think about what it would be like to own one. They are so beautiful and sleek. But like any 20+ year old car, they have maintenance requirements. And though the marketing pitch said the NSX was the exotic for the everyman... Reliable! Affordable! Driver-friendly! ...the reality is that plenty of owners have reported surprisingly costly repair bills. This is not a car to drop off at your local Honda dealership.

Newer is not always better. But sometimes simpler is better. And I think it could be said that the ownership experience of an FRS / BRZ is simpler than that of an NSX.

@Nsxy I see where you are coming from. Turnkey easy fun with a backseat. You can always get back into an NSX later.

I am going to wait until I can have it as a purely secondary car, then I will get an NSX. And whoa baby that will be a great day.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote