follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
jwjknorr

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Its weired that injen would rush this out with problems, ive always used injen on my previous cars with great satisfaction , only reason i went with aem this time, is this car has issues with non factory intakes that aem researched into and corrected. I hope others follow. Id like a intake that is louder!
jwjknorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #44
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Check out my thread on the other forum. The first Injen intake that arrived for me had terrible welds. I was having issues with it, so I complained to injen and got a new tube that was much better. No more issues for me.

http://www.subaru brz forum.com/10-subaru-brz-engine-technical-discussion/3570-injen-intake-finally-came.html

Before, air disturbance

After, smooth
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #45
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Check out my thread on the other forum. The first Injen intake that arrived for me had terrible welds. I was having issues with it, so I complained to injen and got a new tube that was much better. No more issues for me.

http://www.subaru brz forum.com/10-subaru-brz-engine-technical-discussion/3570-injen-intake-finally-came.html

Before, air disturbance

After, smooth
Geez, what the hell happened to that first one? Looks like it was a prototype or someone was practicing welds.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #46
Asphalt_FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
If you changed your mind based on this thread so far, then you may want to reconsider. @Drift-Office was nice enough to let me send my intake to them and have them test it on a different car; theirs ran like crap too! Turns out that my particular Injen intake(That caused so many problems for me, as seen in this thread) had a manufacturing defect relating to the MAF sensor location...

To confirm, I bought a second Injen intake and installed it only to see a noticeable improvement in power! No CEL, no idle dip, no problems whatsoever! I think the car would perform better with a tune though, as the ECU probably still stays within a very safe zone in its adjustments.(Meaning it probably stays relatively rich on A/F)

Injen may be replacing my first intake for free if they also confirm that it's defective, then i'll test it and probably sell it on eBay.
This thread almost made me decide not to get an intake, but it sounds like there are just issues with a couple models. Good to hear you got it all sorted out, hope Injen treats you right and give a refund. They should almost refund both just for all the troubles.
Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #47
Tkalz

Drives: Fir3Storm FR-S
Garage

Samething here poor throttle respons, low instable idle, stalling. Resetted 3 time ecu. Back to stock intake and no problem! There is a very large weld all around the maf.
Tkalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #48
LeeMaster
Red wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkalz View Post
Samething here poor throttle respons, low instable idle, stalling. Resetted 3 time ecu. Back to stock intake and no problem! There is a very large weld all around the maf.
Get that shit replaced ASAP, Injen took really good care of me when I was having issues with mines.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #49
Tkalz

Garage
3 weeks and still no response from injen...
Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #50
LeeMaster
Red wine

Quote:
Who is the vendor you bought it from? Or did you buy it used?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #51
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah Injen screwed me too on the refund. I would not recommend anyone buy their intake. Instead I would go for the Perrin or FA20 Club CAI.
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sounds like a similar experience back when I had my Celica GT-S. Terrible bogging and Injen never got back in touch with me. Eventually the community figured that one out but it wasn't until after I put the car back to stock and had sold it. Injen might make some great stuff at times but based on my past experience I've skipped over them every time since then.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (04-29-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #53
Tkalz

Garage
I've grinded the weld, reinstalled the intake and reseted the ecu. I've tryed 2 method of learning.The first one was letting the engine sit for 10min and take it to a drive...fail! engine boggin, very unstable idle, horrible throttle response. The second method i've tried its to do what they do at the end of the montage. Reset the ecu, sit for 10sec and i've drive it to the highway to make some pull. Result no boggin, throttle response near perfect and idle 650 no acc and a/c max on + defrost dip to 600 and raise to 680 to redrop at 650rpm. I think this car is very capricious!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #54
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Hmm my injen intake I had a few soft stalls coming to a stop. No bogging issues. I did have a few misfire pops but only when I blipped the throttle down shifting. But I was also stock ecu. Ran like a boss everytime I reved it out
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #55
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
Hmm my injen intake I had a few soft stalls coming to a stop. No bogging issues. I did have a few misfire pops but only when I blipped the throttle down shifting. But I was also stock ecu. Ran like a boss everytime I reved it out
I've had my Injen for about 2 months or so and I have had the same experience as well. Overall I am still happy enough with it that I don't feel like re-installing the stock air box.

I know the Injen has its issues but it sounds fantastic and above 4000rpms, its screams.

Scott
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #56
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wow looks like the problems are pretty widespread.. I guess I should count my blessings for having no problems.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote