follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
Zardoman

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sign me up for a set, update me when there's a price plz
Zardoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #16
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Bags are nice for hardparking and getting over speedbumps...for anyone even considering occasionally tracking a car...lets not forget the added weight for the compressor and tanks. It's a solution for a street only car and for show cars but trying to advertise airbags as a performance setup is laughable.

I'm sure someone will bring up the adjustable ride height setups on Ferrari's and Lambo's...their suspension also cost as much as our car does...
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Supermassive For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-14-2013), IAmNotTheDriftKing (11-16-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Bags are nice for hardparking and getting over speedbumps...for anyone even considering occasionally tracking a car...lets not forget the added weight for the compressor and tanks. It's a solution for a street only car and for show cars but trying to advertise airbags as a performance setup is laughable.

I'm sure someone will bring up the adjustable ride height setups on Ferrari's and Lambo's...their suspension also cost as much as our car does...
Dropped 17lbs compared to coil overs, and if I recall, my 10 gallon tank weighted about 15-16 lbs, less if you went aluminum, and my pump couldn't have been much more then 9 lbs, and that was a 480c viair, way bigger then what we would need on these cars
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
Dropped 17lbs compared to coil overs, and if I recall, my 10 gallon tank weighted about 15-16 lbs, less if you went aluminum, and my pump couldn't have been much more then 9 lbs, and that was a 480c viair, way bigger then what we would need on these cars
17lbs less than which coilovers? I am curious since there is no figures given other than their little blurb. Show me a side by side weight comparison vs. the most common aftermarket coilover, the KW V3. Then add the weight of the tank, compressor, solenoid block, wiring, air lines, etc. After all that where does all that extra stuff go in the car? There's not much room, probably in the trunk, so there goes the space where we put our track gear.

This is not a performance solution, this is purely cosmetic and there is nothing at all wrong with that. I have purely cosmetic parts on my car. The issue I have is any advertising that tries to sell bags as something they are not. Bags have come a long way, but in the end the only thing bags were meant for was allowing a car to have adjustable ride height at a low cost.

If bags were a viable alternative to coilovers as far as weight and performance were concerned, wouldn't there be more proliferation into actual racing?
The Following User Says Thank You to Supermassive For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
NemeGuero
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think thats the evasive front splitter
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
STEVEOSTI
Speed Freak

Drives: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
17lbs less than which coilovers? I am curious since there is no figures given other than their little blurb. Show me a side by side weight comparison vs. the most common aftermarket coilover, the KW V3. Then add the weight of the tank, compressor, solenoid block, wiring, air lines, etc. After all that where does all that extra stuff go in the car? There's not much room, probably in the trunk, so there goes the space where we put our track gear.

This is not a performance solution, this is purely cosmetic and there is nothing at all wrong with that. I have purely cosmetic parts on my car. The issue I have is any advertising that tries to sell bags as something they are not. Bags have come a long way, but in the end the only thing bags were meant for was allowing a car to have adjustable ride height at a low cost.

If bags were a viable alternative to coil overs as far as weight and performance were concerned, wouldn't there be more proliferation into actual racing?
I'm not going to dispute your argument that this is not a "go-to" set up for dedicated race cars. BUT...some of us are building cars for more than the occasional track day. I personally would not install anything simply for the look of it. My built STI is stock on the exterior, but has extensive motor work, brake upgrades, and some suspension work.

I have always steered clear of coil overs due to the fact the car is driven year round, and in northern Ontario where the roads can be unforgiving at the best of times. I have also seen first hand how "expensive" coil over set ups need rebuilding after a fairly short life span. This may also be an issue with the Air Lift set up.

I am not promoting this product because I think it is a solution for guys building race cars. What I am looking to do, is provide accurate information regarding the use of an Air Lift system on a car that will be daily driven, to and from the occasional track day or auto X, can drive OVER speed bumps, driveways and the likes with ease, and lastly lay out for show when the car is stationary.

I am all for supporting new technology, and if a company is willing to back their products with real people in an american office providing customer service, backing warranty, and offering an innovative solution to some common problems with other set ups, why not shed some light.

This will not be for everyone, but I'm willing to bet there are a number of guys who would benefit from such a versatile and easily adjustable suspension system.

I look forward to getting you the info regarding weight of this entire system, compared to that of KW's or any others. Also looking forward to getting some track times with my car running completely stock suspension and then seeing if Air Lift can hold up to the claims you are disputing. If it's track worthy, times won't lie. But to call this purely cosmetic, with not facts to back your statement up doesn't hold water at all.

Steve
STEVEOSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
STEVEOSTI
Speed Freak

Quote:

Thank you for bringing this up for Orbital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I don't think I've seen an X5 M at the track either.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
i've been talking with John from Bagriders about this kit for a few months now. I've been patiently waiting for AirLift to release these struts.

If anyone is skeptical, please visit airlifts website or nasioc and watch the video of their 500whp sti tearing up the track.

@STEVEOSTI, If I can be of any help to you or AirLift please PM me.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
Sac-BRZ (01-22-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
i've been talking with John from Bagriders about this kit for a few months now. I've been patiently waiting for AirLift to release these struts.

If anyone is skeptical, please visit airlifts website or nasioc and watch the video of their 500whp sti tearing up the track.

@STEVEOSTI, If I can be of any help to you or AirLift please PM me.
Lol I'm sure they are fine for the track, but you will never get the adjustability and consistent performance from an air spring. Take that exact same 500HP Sti and throw a set of decent coilovers at it and see the difference. I can take my 2009 Titan to the track and look like i am tearing it up in a youtube vid. I want real numbers here.

I have said a few times now...my issue isn't with bags. My issue is with a company trying to sell bags as a viable alternative to coilovers as a performance option. Yes you can take your bagged car to the track, yes you might post semi decent lap times over stock. But the average buyer looking at a performance setup would benefit more from a real set of coilovers. While a fully street only or show car would benefit from a bagged setup. That's all i am trying to get at here, to be completely honest the Air Lift system is pretty slick and i wouldn't mind having a set for a show car, if i ever build one. But as a person that frequents the occasional track day coilovers offer more for less.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
love that setup, have been looking into it.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I agree with @Supermassive. Just the fact that an air spring is highly non-linear makes it very difficult for the system to have effective damping throughout the travel of the shock.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEOSTI View Post

Wow, that thing looks sick!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
So is there a ball park price? I don't want to wait around top find out its like $10k like the trd big brake kit. Haha
If the price is right I'll just buy springs for now. Haha
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
STEVEOSTI
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo707 View Post
So is there a ball park price? I don't want to wait around top find out its like $10k like the trd big brake kit. Haha
If the price is right I'll just buy springs for now. Haha
I would say under 5K for sure. MSRP on the complete set up for the 02-07 STi with digital controller and camber plates all around is $4063.05 USD. Capable of a 4" drop with no cutting or irreversible modifications.