follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Stock Radio Malfunction

Hi all. Zero problems with the stock unit thus far, however I got in my car this morning and no sound was coming out of the speakers with either the am or fm setting on. (yes, the volume was turned up)

I tried a CD, USB, and my phone and all those played perfectly. Any suggestions as to what could be the issue? Hoping I get in my car this afternoon and everything is fine.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
developer

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It might be a little drastic but you could try pulling the battery cable off for 15 minutes and let the whole system reset. I remember someone else having success with doing the above on a head unit problem. Good luck and let us know.
developer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Hi all. Zero problems with the stock unit thus far, however I got in my car this morning and no sound was coming out of the speakers with either the am or fm setting on. (yes, the volume was turned up)

I tried a CD, USB, and my phone and all those played perfectly. Any suggestions as to what could be the issue? Hoping I get in my car this afternoon and everything is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by developer View Post
It might be a little drastic but you could try pulling the battery cable off for 15 minutes and let the whole system reset. I remember someone else having success with doing the above on a head unit problem. Good luck and let us know.
yea, i agree with @developer. i think a reset via battery disconnect would be the best initial troubleshoot method. get ready to lose all of your radio settings, although i think not having radio is worse haha.
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
WiKKiD
WiKKiD Large Penis

Drives: 2001 Audi TT Quattro "BT 300+Whp"
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The brz doesn't lose anything. Frs might though idk
WiKKiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Re~Mix

Thanks for the tip, where exactly do I locate the battery cable to the radio? Or you saying to disconnect the entire car battery for a minute or two?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
WiKKiD
WiKKiD Large Penis

Drives: 2001 Audi TT Quattro "BT 300+Whp"
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Thanks for the tip, where exactly do I locate the battery cable to the radio? Or you saying to disconnect the entire car battery for a minute or two?
Disconnect the main battery negative cable. But I would get it looked at before you do that by the dealer because if it happens once it's bound to happen again. The issue should have never happened in the first place. So get it fixed permanently not temporarily
WiKKiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Re~Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKKiD View Post
Disconnect the main battery negative cable. But I would get it looked at before you do that by the dealer because if it happens once it's bound to happen again. The issue should have never happened in the first place. So get it fixed permanently not temporarily
Thanks, definitely the logical thing to do. I will swing by the dealer to look at the ESU as well (just received a letter from Toyota on the issue).
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Re~Mix

Got in the car this afternoon and everything worked flawlessly.

Hoping it was either my post NYE stupor or a fluke that caused the hiccup. Will document the occasion and follow up with the dealer.