follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #71
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS View Post
Engine NEEDS oil change after first 3,500. On the positive, we don't need an oil change light, you will hear it locking up.
That's funny!
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #72
Boost_Junkie

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just did my first one @ 1009 on the clock. Oil was clean, but wanted to throw in the Amsoil signature 0w-20.
Boost_Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #73
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie View Post
Just did my first one @ 1009 on the clock. Oil was clean, but wanted to throw in the Amsoil signature 0w-20.
I would have kept the factory fill in longer. More moly, zinc, and phosphorus than the ASM.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #74
Ratmogers

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Garage
Did mine at 540 miles out of force of habit. - K&N 1004, Valvoline full synthetic 0-20W
Ratmogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #75
tibsy92

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Thunder Silver MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I change mine every 5000km..don't know how many miles that equates to..
Just a habit I have, previous car ran smoother and performed better on it I found especially in the heat was smoother

tibsy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #76
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I just got my lease FR-S less than 3 weeks ago and I'm already over 800 miles. The lady I spoke with concerning maintenance of the lease said the oil they use is good for 10k miles, but the lease will cover every oil change every 5k miles. I see a lot of people talking about the the break-in oil change at 1k. I'm pretty sure the dealership wouldn't cover it if I asked, but I have a friend that I'm betting would be happy to do it if I asked.

My question is, should I go ahead and have my friend do a 1k oil change, or just wait for the first 5k oil change covered by the lease?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #77
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I would just get it done every 5k miles. Do you plan to buy the car after the lease is up?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #78
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
I would just get it done every 5k miles. Do you plan to buy the car after the lease is up?
I'm still up in the air about it, to be honest. I'm keeping an eye on the car market to see if I might want something else. It just really depends on where I'm at financially and what cars are available. If nothing changes, I most likely will keep it.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #79
rojpetric

Drives: bmw white
Start by checking the manufacturer's recommendations for your car. The automaker that has manufactured your car has done extensive testing on your car's engine in the lab as well as in extreme real-world driving to determine its performance in many aspects.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #80
ducatichick
Ms GoodWench

Drives: BRZ WRB LTD 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Dealer told me the BRZ comes from the factory with synthetic motor oil in it. Makes me wonder then, why is there a 1,000 mi break in period? Synthetic really shouldn't be used (old ROT) until at least 3,000 miles for car engines.

In any case, despite the dealer trying to tell me I'm a silly girl, I plan on doing the first oil change no later than 2,000 miles.

After seeing the picture of the magnet though (page 1 of this thread), I must change the oil RIGHT NOW!!!

EDIT - anyone else been told that the car comes with synthetic oil from the factory?
ducatichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #81
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@ducatichick:

"the BRZ comes from the factory with synthetic motor oil in it" ---> This makes no sense to me. Porsche Carrera GTs used to come from the factory with Mobile 1 in them, but they were Porsche Carrera GTs and very likely broken in at the factory.

"Dealer told me" ---> Statements that begin this way always make me skeptical simply because I have never met a dealer who knew much of anything.

If I were in your shoes, I would do as you are doing.

Good luck.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #82
ducatichick
Ms GoodWench

Garage
When I was a mechanic at a Subaru dealer in the late 80's all their new cars arrived with low fluid levels - "dealer told me" this was so Subaru could unload some of their oil/antifreeze/etc costs onto the dealers. It was part of the PDIs to top off all the fluids, including adding one qt oil to a 4 qt system.

The new Mercedes Benz cars come from the factory with synthetic oil (I work at Daimler) so that leaves me to believe that at least someone else does it (but maybe only Germans!). MB is the same, first oil change is at 7500 mi - or maybe it's 10k.

If the Subaru comes from the factory with synthetic, my first oil change will include synthetic oil. Otherwise I'd use old-fashioned oil until 3k or more miles. Either way, my BRZ's oil is getting changed at about 1,000 miles (ie: NOW!)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #83
Alienate

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatichick View Post
When I was a mechanic at a Subaru dealer in the late 80's all their new cars arrived with low fluid levels - "dealer told me" this was so Subaru could unload some of their oil/antifreeze/etc costs onto the dealers. It was part of the PDIs to top off all the fluids, including adding one qt oil to a 4 qt system.

The new Mercedes Benz cars come from the factory with synthetic oil (I work at Daimler) so that leaves me to believe that at least someone else does it (but maybe only Germans!). MB is the same, first oil change is at 7500 mi - or maybe it's 10k.

If the Subaru comes from the factory with synthetic, my first oil change will include synthetic oil. Otherwise I'd use old-fashioned oil until 3k or more miles. Either way, my BRZ's oil is getting changed at about 1,000 miles (ie: NOW!)

Two things. I was the one who posted the magnet pic. That was at 500 miles. I put in 5w-20 full syn ( as opposed to 0w-20 syn which is the ONLY recommended oil), and the very next day my CEL/Idle issue happened and my frs was in the shop for 22 days while they figured out what to do. they finally just did a ECU reflash and all has been well for almost 1500 miles now.
So... If you use old fashioned oil.. it will be thicker, and I can almost guarantee you will set off the CEL/Idle issue.

Keep us posted!
ducatichick (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #84
ducatichick
Ms GoodWench

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienate View Post
Two things. I was the one who posted the magnet pic. That was at 500 miles. I put in 5w-20 full syn ( as opposed to 0w-20 syn which is the ONLY recommended oil), and the very next day my CEL/Idle issue happened and my frs was in the shop for 22 days while they figured out what to do. they finally just did a ECU reflash and all has been well for almost 1500 miles now.
So... If you use old fashioned oil.. it will be thicker, and I can almost guarantee you will set off the CEL/Idle issue.

Keep us posted!
YIKES! I'll be sure to use the correct weight!

About 20 years ago I worked in a chemistry lab. I took 2 new oil samples, standard and synthetic, and measured them on a viscometer (sorry can't recall the values). Then I did the same thing with used oil. The used synthetic had the same (or close to it) viscosity as new, whereas the standard oil had become much thinner. I was sold on synthetic at that point and have never looked back.