follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #43
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
You can also run data logs through your OBD2 port to show your AFR continuously. Much of this mysterious info was talked to death months ago which is why we no longer require proof.
You may not require proof but if someone created this thread then they may not have seen the proof that was posted months ago. All im sayin is providing numbers is a lot more convincing then saying "don't get an intake because you will run lean".
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #44
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryljr11 View Post
You may not require proof but if someone created this thread then they may not have seen the proof that was posted months ago. All im sayin is providing numbers is a lot more convincing then saying "don't get an intake because you will run lean".
If I am looking for information about a product or want better subject knowledge, I search. I am more comfortable with pulling information from multiple sources and formulating an opinion. I just put "injen lean afr" in google and found this post on these forums in 2 secs. I wouldn't formulate an opinion based off a single post but every bit of info helps. Far too many posters on this and many forums treat fellow members like their own private research analysts and expect a concise factual post giving them all the data they could want.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19413
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
FR-Sizzle (10-08-2013)
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
If I am looking for information about a product or want better subject knowledge, I search. I am more comfortable with pulling information from multiple sources and formulating an opinion. I just put "injen lean afr" in google and found this post on these forums in 2 secs. I wouldn't formulate an opinion based off a single post but every bit of info helps. Far too many posters on this and many forums treat fellow members like their own private research analysts and expect a concise factual post giving them all the data they could want.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19413

I read this article before and im glad you posted it to this thread. I know intakes cause the engine to run leaner but looking at the injen afr vs stock afr I don't see a dramatic change that would cause all the catastrophic engine issues i hear people say intakes would cause. I mean sure some cheapo intake would most definitely cause issues but an injen? I havent heard of many issues with their products. Maybe some companies are doing things right?
Darryljr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryljr11 For This Useful Post:
Apoc (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #46
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My choices would be Perrin tube + filter to start, you can add the rest of the system later i'm sure. That or the FA20Club intake are my favorites right now.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #47
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i installed the Takeda Intake today and undid the + side of the battery throughout the length of the install, put it back on when everything was done, it was complete bolt on and much more sealed by the snorkel unlike the Injen that has a slight gap which is why i didnt get it. No CEL on and the car has the sound of a mean lion , throaty and deep sound to it and better throttle response, not a major HP gain that i can personally tell but the sound is awesome and thats what i was going for anyway. i will keep you all posted in the future of this but QUESTION *** does it matter if i disconnect the negative ( on the left side ) terminal or the positive ( on the right side ) terminal when doing the install to reset the computer? or does disconnecting the battery not even reset your computer
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #48
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Diconnecting the ground terminal is the recommended procedure. Disconnecting does reset the ecu somewhat. However Toyota had said that once the ecu has seen a few hundred miles most of its learning has been accomplished and resetting it doesn't do all that much.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #49
Dispect
Newbie Car Enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
what is a drop in filter and what does it do?
Dispect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #50
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
A drop in filter just replaces the oem filter. It allows more air to flow with (hopefully) the same filtering properties.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpit For This Useful Post:
86Ryan (12-02-2017), Mikepage (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #51
Atticus888

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was considering Ingen, Takeda and Airaid, but now I'm thinking GReddy may be the way to go. Good luck!
Atticus888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #52
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus888 View Post
I was considering Ingen, Takeda and Airaid, but now I'm thinking GReddy may be the way to go. Good luck!
Greddy = Takeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
i installed the Takeda Intake today and undid the + side of the battery throughout the length of the install, put it back on when everything was done, it was complete bolt on and much more sealed by the snorkel unlike the Injen that has a slight gap which is why i didnt get it. No CEL on and the car has the sound of a mean lion , throaty and deep sound to it and better throttle response, not a major HP gain that i can personally tell but the sound is awesome and thats what i was going for anyway. i will keep you all posted in the future of this but QUESTION *** does it matter if i disconnect the negative ( on the left side ) terminal or the positive ( on the right side ) terminal when doing the install to reset the computer? or does disconnecting the battery not even reset your computer
When you disconnect the battery, you're resetting the ECU. You're not going to feel the power until after the ECU has re-adjusted to the new intake (takes 50-100 miles).
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #53
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
My choices would be Perrin tube + filter to start, you can add the rest of the system later i'm sure. That or the FA20Club intake are my favorites right now.
I'm thinking the same with FA20Club first with the thermal coating and Perrin second.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
got an injen intake and it's working fine so far
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #55
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
got an injen intake and it's working fine so far
Do you have a dyno showing safe AFR?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #56
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Perrins is coming out in time for christmas last time they were asked. Im really hoping thats true so i can get the e85 tune from visconti at the same time.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote