follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_BRZ View Post
You need to pay before you can drive the Tail of the Dragon road?
The $90 was paid by his employer to reimburse him for using his own car.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #16
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Wow that is an extreme story. What were you driving?
I was driving a 92 mr2, was out there for a hillclimb test session. Havent come across a bike on the dragon that can keep pace with us. Bikes are great for acceleration, but two wheels don't turn anywhere near as well as a proper 4 wheel suspension.

For any novice going to the dragon: If you are out there, do not surpass your limit. Doing so puts not only your life, but others in danger too. Push yourself little by little to learn the intricacies, but 1 screw up can put you in the opposite lane and turn you into another statistic and forum story.

Sidenote: Well be back at the dragon later this year, and again in April. I may go out there a few other times depending on which club is going and invites us.
civicdrivr (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
I dont have any crazy stories of the Dragon, but it was the most fun I had at (mostly) 45mph.

Im hoping to go again in the spring, but this time, with the FR-S.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
Roach

Drives: '98 Impreza RS -> BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
And the parts survived?? Those guys on the sport bikes must have been beginners or something. Normally a sport bike can take any sports car hands down, no matter how nimble.
Parts survived intact, the handling they received at the airport was likely worse than what I gave. The last rider was definitely not a beginner, but Grishbok is right, bikes have a hard time maintaining speed on sharp turns like those found on this road. Let me know if any of you guys are going to be up in the area and I'll show you some equally impressive, yet less trafficked roads. Keep the VSC on though, you never know whats around the next turn on these roads...
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #19
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Parts survived intact, the handling they received at the airport was likely worse than what I gave. The last rider was definitely not a beginner, but Grishbok is right, bikes have a hard time maintaining speed on sharp turns like those found on this road. Let me know if any of you guys are going to be up in the area and I'll show you some equally impressive, yet less trafficked roads. Keep the VSC on though, you never know whats around the next turn on these roads...
Haha yeah airports And thanks for the offer, will do! I do keep hearing that while the Tail gets all the fame, that the area has plenty of roads of the same caliber. VSC check; personally I wouldn't dream of turning it off on public roads, that's just foolhardy and selfish

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
shadoquad
a quote out of context

Drives: '20 BRZ, '17 Silverado, '17 S1000R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
Haha yeah airports And thanks for the offer, will do! I do keep hearing that while the Tail gets all the fame, that the area has plenty of roads of the same caliber. VSC check; personally I wouldn't dream of turning it off on public roads, that's just foolhardy and selfish
The Dragon is an amazing road. You won't find another exactly like it. It is non-stop turning for eleven miles. It tests your endurance like none other.

But there are other roads that are just as fun to drive, even if not as unique.

The Hellbender (rte28) is a gas, and it's a main artery in and around Fontana Dam. It is full of fun sweeping corners and elevation changes.

The Cherohala Skyway is a much faster road with a few sharp corners. It goes from low to 5000 ft higher and back down to low ground again. It also has several gorgeous overlooks.

I take a week every year and stay at Fontana Village Resort, getting my fill of all of the surrounding roads, most of which are epic fun to drive.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadoquad For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
Just as a reminder, all. Don't mess around if you drive this road. Pay attention.

Both of the drivers involved here escaped relatively unscathed.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...meet-bike.html
This was quite an accident. If I remember right injuries were pretty minimal?

Quote:
The Dragon is an amazing road. You won't find another exactly like it. It is non-stop turning for eleven miles. It tests your endurance like none other.

The Hellbender (rte28) is a gas, and it's a main artery in and around Fontana Dam. It is full of fun sweeping corners and elevation changes.

The Cherohala Skyway is a much faster road with a few sharp corners. It goes from low to 5000 ft higher and back down to low ground again. It also has several gorgeous overlooks.

I take a week every year and stay at Fontana Village Resort, getting my fill of all of the surrounding roads, most of which are epic fun to drive.
I will have to check this run out.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
einzlr

Quote:

Thanks for the info! For several years now I've been wanting to some day take a road trip across the country to drive those amazing roads you've got out there, but one of the limiting factors was that I didn't really have a car that would be good for both a long trip as well as shine in the twisties. Based on what everyone says here on ft86club it seems like the FR-S/BRZ might be just about perfect. Can't wait

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Let me know if any of you guys are going to be up in the area and I'll show you some equally impressive, yet less trafficked roads. Keep the VSC on though, you never know whats around the next turn on these roads...
There has been talk of gathering for a weekend of scenic driving and connecting with other FT86Club members. Maybe you can help us find some roads.

I did some exploring this past weekend, found some roads up toward Big South Fork here in Tennessee. Hardly saw another soul. It was fantastic.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
There has been talk of gathering for a weekend of scenic driving and connecting with other FT86Club members. Maybe you can help us find some roads.

I did some exploring this past weekend, found some roads up toward Big South Fork here in Tennessee. Hardly saw another soul. It was fantastic.
Count me in!

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote