follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
FR-S_Tacoma

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S, '02 TRD Tacoma
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
Awesome. I think 245s would make this car handle great and be able to handle all of the power adders besides forced induction. It would be great to even get some 225s in the front.
straight-line traction yes but probably overall u'd be better with 235s over 245s since then you wont get as much play in the sidewalls going into corners... but then again i'm no performance pro...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
st162celica

Drives: 86 GTS Manual - Tornado Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
1st world problems. gezzzz..
st162celica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st162celica For This Useful Post:
FR-S_Tacoma (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S_Tacoma View Post
straight-line traction yes but probably overall u'd be better with 235s over 245s since then you wont get as much play in the sidewalls going into corners... but then again i'm no performance pro...
Respectfully, I disagree. A tire that is wider will probably have less sidewall flexion and more rigidity.
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
FR-S_Tacoma

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S, '02 TRD Tacoma
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Respectfully, I disagree. A tire that is wider will probably have less sidewall flexion and more rigidity.
like i said i'm no expert so that may very well be
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86R View Post
i took off traction control once .........then i hit a curb
Respectfully, I think I see why; All of your other cars were/are front-wheel-drive, weren't they? haha
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I thought it had decent grip on wet roads though...maybe it's because the roads around here are rough and not smooth.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Drove a FWD for the first time in a while yesterday here in Houston while raining. I was flooring it and it was losing traction like crazy but still super easy to drive and not a whole lot of problems. Don't drive in the rain with Trac Off if you don't know RWD.
BuBlake (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
Ravenlokk

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was driving home after work on a fairly rainy day, after a few hot dry weeks... with all the surface oil, and the standing water it was pretty interesting to say the least! U-Turns were fun, lol. Scared myself on one large sweeping corner though, cruising through at like 3k rpm in 3rd gear, and the end slid out pretty nicely- good thing the car is so balanced, it was really easy to reel it back in.
Ravenlokk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenlokk For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, it's going to be interesting for me. I'm used to all wheel drive traction where I can always floor it in the rain and it never lets go. But in the snow, it behaves more like a rear wheel drive car so I guess I'll just have to pretend like I'm driving on snow when I'm in the rain. But I will probably be getting good tires for it anyway which will help. One side of me wants as much grip as possible while the other wants to slide and play. I wonder which side will win out?

BTW, I am really glad this car has stability control (even though that's standard these days). I don't think I would want a rear wheel drive daily driver without the option of turning on stability control for tricky situations. And it's awesome that it has 2 different settings and the ability to turn it off.
BuBlake (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #24
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey peeps, I just realized that this car slides in the rain easier than anything I have ever driven! In previous vehicles, such as my 3600lb 350z convertible, I couldn't tell much difference when I turned off traction control in the rain. Heck, I don't even think that vehicle had stability control, but it was pretty much rock stable in the rain with its 225 front and 245 rear michelins.

I disabled all assists yesterday in the rain and realized just how much these 215 tires suck! I shifted into third gear and the car went into a slide at 4k rpm while I was going straight! I had to counter-steer and maneuver the vehicle to keep it in a straight path. I managed to keep it in my lane, but the truck next to me was freaked out and backed off. lol! Stay on your toes guys.
the tires do suck and they cant handle when there is a lot of oil on the surface, when there is no oil present the tires stick just fine, learn to modulate the gas, if anything i love this about this car, it will teach you the rules of engagement dependent on road conditions and condition of your tires combined with your own ability to drive the car.

if you take caution you will slowly learn the boundaries based upon the conditions, but you will only come out of this if you are slow and progressive with learning the car, the car in a way forces you to learn this way by swinging its ass around and shaking its finger at you telling you " NO!" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
This is my one issue with these tires. While on dry surfaces the have a nice progressive, predictable breakaway, on wet surfaces they become unpredictable.

I had the same experience with the LRR tires on my Honda CRZ
this all depends on road conditions, amount of oil on the road aswell

last month me and a few forum members got together on a rainy day and were doing 60-80 mph on big sweepers int he rain with no issue

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Drove a FWD for the first time in a while yesterday here in Houston while raining. I was flooring it and it was losing traction like crazy but still super easy to drive and not a whole lot of problems. Don't drive in the rain with Trac Off if you don't know RWD.

this i do agree with, everyone should drive within their own limits at all times regardless if the safety systems are in place or not

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
whateatsrabbits

Drives: 2013"Road scalpel"FR-S MT
I have mad grip in the rain. I don't use aids, and I also don't speed to much. My old 240sx was a death trap in the rain, just the slightest bit to much throttle and your drifting. This car handles in the rain like the 24 did dry.
The 86 is a precision car, it does not compensate for driver error, on the road or on the track. This is the kind of car thats created to be the surgeons scalpal of the mass-consumer car world, not a drag car.
whateatsrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #26
CarGuyNeil

Drives: Many
The worst part was you disabled all traction control to experiment with other vehicles on the road next to you. If you want to play...take it to an abandoned parking lot or a track but don't be stupid on public roads with innocent people next to you. That is selfish and stupid!
CarGuyNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarGuyNeil For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-02-2012), jmaryt (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
einzlr

Drives: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyNeil View Post
The worst part was you disabled all traction control to experiment with other vehicles on the road next to you. If you want to play...take it to an abandoned parking lot or a track but don't be stupid on public roads with innocent people next to you. That is selfish and stupid!
AMEN!!! Hopefully OP (and others) will heed this excellent advice.

An even better way to learn about how your car handles is to participate in a car control clinic where instead of just playing around you also learn about *why* cars behave the way they do in various situations and how to handle them.
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
einzlr

Drives: several
Quote:
Awesome. I think 245s would make this car handle great and be able to handle all of the power adders besides forced induction. It would be great to even get some 225s in the front.
In the case of the stock Michelin Primacy's, the lack of grip has little to do with the width and primarily do to the design of the tire. These are low-rolling-resistance tires selected to help meet the targeted fuel economy ratings. In all other aspects, they are poorly matched to this car. You can add a lot of grip by simply switching to something like Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs or Bridgestone Potenzas in the stock size.

That said, please be smart and responsible and drive safely with tc ON on public roads. Too many threads in car forums with titles like "R.I.P. <favourite new sports car> Le sad" after yet another young driver overestimates his abilities and wraps his car around a tree .
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (10-02-2012)