follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
If your car is dying, I would double/triple check to make sure there's not something amiss with the install.

That said, Visconti has been testing/tuning several different intakes. Has even one of them shown any measurable gains yet? (Even with his tune?)
I don't think so...at least not on the E85 tune. I have the aFe intake or (Greddy) and I have had no issues yet. In fact, that idle seems even better. It is crazy smooth with John's tune. Not sure about performance however? Sometimes the stock felt better, sometimes the intake feels better, sometimes it feels the same. I will have to wait until my dyno to test the two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
travace (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioenvy View Post
If your car is dying, I would double/triple check to make sure there's not something amiss with the install.

That said, Visconti has been testing/tuning several different intakes. Has even one of them shown any measurable gains yet? (Even with his tune?)
I think this engine is just touchy, but i'll gladly have another look at the intake after my engine cools; I took my time and the install was easy as changing a tire, so hopefully I didn't mess up, but also hopefully I did! ha ha

Above 2k rpm, the car seems to run better though, so I doubt there's a leak or operator error. When it goes to that low +/-650rpm idle, that's when the trouble happens, likely meaning that it's something that just needs to be fine tuned. The engine's low-speed throttle response is also compromised, meaning that it needs more pedal to launch. Sometimes it even randomly loses all power for a split second at 1000-1500rpm just after I (gently)let out the clutch, so now I have to launch at 2000-2500 to be safe.

I read the Airraid intake thread and apparently many people are having similar problems with that intake as well, so at least I don't feel like I chose the wrong intake. Any intake seems like a bad idea on the stock tune.
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA
BuBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
DSTL

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sucks to get something new and shiny and have probs, good luck. FYI since I saw it's something you are considering. I'm running the aFe dry drop-in. No issues at all with stock, pumpgas reflash, or E85. Can't say that it helped, but more importantly it didn't hurt.
DSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I have this intake and I have not had a single problem with it. The sound did change and get a little deeper in the first few days as the ECU got use to it. after 300 miles on it I got a tune that limited the low end of the rev to 800 instead of the stock 4 stops that backfire sound people are talking about I heard it once so I just did the tune.
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
I have this intake and I have not had a single problem with it. The sound did change and get a little deeper in the first few days as the ECU got use to it. after 300 miles on it I got a tune that limited the low end of the rev to 800 instead of the stock 4 stops that backfire sound people are talking about I heard it once so I just did the tune.
Is yours an automatic? Those may be tuned a little different or maybe having transmission engaged keeps the revs steady.

Backfire sound? Are you talking about when the idle dips below 650 and shoots automatically to 1000? If this is an actual backfire sound, I haven't heard it. How expensive was your tune?

Anyways, I just unplugged my battery again. This time I have left it unplugged for a good two hours, ensuring that the ecu is reset properly, hopefully. I also adjusted the filter a bit more to the end of the tube instead of pressed on as far as it will go, which was probably inconsequential, but worth a shot in my book. \

EDIT TO EARLIER POST:
-Upon further inspection and thought, I figured that the filter would probably achieve the best flow with the tube stuck in as far as it would go, so decided against my previous adjustment above.
-Furthermore, I disconnected the intake tube from the throttle body and repositioned it so that the airfilter was further away from the intake tube's hole on the airbox. Previously, I had it positioned so that the airfilter's rubber gasket(where the pipe fitting is) was nearly butted up against the side of the airbox, nearly plugging the hole that the intake tube goes through.
OFT Stg 2 UEL E85 - Borla UEL Header - Invidia Q300 - Invidia catless frontpipe - Fa20club CAI - Billet Power Blocks - Michelin PSS 245/35/18 all around on Motegi Racing SP10 18x8 +38 - Eibach Sportline springs - SPC LCA

Last edited by BuBlake; 09-26-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
Is yours an automatic? Those may be tuned a little different or maybe having transmission engaged keeps the revs steady.

Backfire sound? Are you talking about when the idle dips below 650 and shoots automatically to 1000? If this is an actual backfire sound, I haven't heard it. How expensive was your tune?

Anyways, I just unplugged my battery again. This time I have left it unplugged for a good two hours, ensuring that the ecu is reset properly, hopefully. I also adjusted the filter a bit more to the end of the tube instead of pressed on as far as it will go, which was probably inconsequential, but worth a shot in my book. \

EDIT TO EARLIER POST:
-Upon further inspection and thought, I figured that the filter would probably achieve the best flow with the tube stuck in as far as it would go, so decided against my previous adjustment above.
-Furthermore, I disconnected the intake tube from the throttle body and repositioned it so that the airfilter was further away from the intake tube's hole on the airbox. Previously, I had it positioned so that the airfilter's rubber gasket(where the pipe fitting is) was nearly butted up against the side of the airbox, nearly plugging the hole that the intake tube goes through.
Mine is a manual when the car is in neutral the rpm in mine would dip to 400 and it would sound like it was about to stall just at idle after I installed the intake. When I went to take off it would have the loud pop like a back fire. I never unplugged my battery the directions I got when I bought it told me not to because the car would figure it out. I paid $200 for a tune and it just stops it from idling at such a low rpm which gives me a little faster take offs and doesn't make that noise any more. another way to stop it is just keep the rpm at like 800-1000 when you let off the clutch in first gear. You also want the tube of the filter flush with start of the filter element. hope this helps
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Maybe someone stated this before or I did not read it. But I wonder how many people that are having intake bogging issues with or without an aftermarket muffler. it seems like back when I installed an injen intake on my Celica I had more bogging issues before I put on my performance muffler. I also had more rpm idle dips before the muffler as well.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #22
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Mine is a manual when the car is in neutral the rpm in mine would dip to 400 and it would sound like it was about to stall just at idle after I installed the intake. When I went to take off it would have the loud pop like a back fire. I never unplugged my battery the directions I got when I bought it told me not to because the car would figure it out. I paid $200 for a tune and it just stops it from idling at such a low rpm which gives me a little faster take offs and doesn't make that noise any more. another way to stop it is just keep the rpm at like 800-1000 when you let off the clutch in first gear. You also want the tube of the filter flush with start of the filter element. hope this helps
Okay, sounds similar with the idle, but my fr-s has never backfired. The only thing your tune does is raise the idle? I think I have had it installed right all along; it just needs a tune I guess if i'm going to keep this intake. After resetting the ecu again, I had high hopes on the first run, but when it heated up it started to idle too low again and died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
Maybe someone stated this before or I did not read it. But I wonder how many people that are having intake bogging issues with or without an aftermarket muffler. it seems like back when I installed an injen intake on my Celica I had more bogging issues before I put on my performance muffler. I also had more rpm idle dips before the muffler as well.
I am hoping that my Invidia exhaust will minimize or fix my problem as well now. The vendor I bought from said the end of September is when they'll probably get them. "Probably" means that they're not sure and it could be later, unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuBlake For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Okay, sounds similar with the idle, but my fr-s has never backfired. The only thing your tune does is raise the idle? I think I have had it installed right all along; it just needs a tune I guess if i'm going to keep this intake. After resetting the ecu again, I had high hopes on the first run, but when it heated up it started to idle too low again and died.

I am hoping that my Invidia exhaust will minimize or fix my problem as well now. The vendor I bought from said the end of September is when they'll probably get them. "Probably" means that they're not sure and it could be later, unfortunately.
Oh ok that's the problem always go exhaust before intake I learned this from old muscle car guys if your going to suck more air in you have to give it somewhere to go or you will stall out from to much negative pressure I have a greddy exhaust on mine the rpm dip I guess was like that stock I just never noticed it from what I have read

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
skoodge
Addicted to cars

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh ok that's the problem always go exhaust before intake I learned this from old muscle car guys if your going to suck more air in you have to give it somewhere to go or you will stall out from to much negative pressure I have a greddy exhaust on mine the rpm dip I guess was like that stock I just never noticed it from what I have read

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
I have a custom 3" catback pipe, no muffler, no resonator. It operated weird at first but after resetting the ECU the car feels way better. However, I have an injen intake but I won't have the opportunity to install it until mid-October due to the car being repaired (thanks to a jackass in rainy weather). When I do get it installed I'll be sure to post back here with results. I'm betting the higher flow of the exhaust will really help the intake.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #25
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoodge View Post
I have a custom 3" catback pipe, no muffler, no resonator. It operated weird at first but after resetting the ECU the car feels way better. However, I have an injen intake but I won't have the opportunity to install it until mid-October due to the car being repaired (thanks to a jackass in rainy weather). When I do get it installed I'll be sure to post back here with results. I'm betting the higher flow of the exhaust will really help the intake.
Good news is that the intake's design itself wasn't to blame for my issue, because for whatever reason, now my car decided to run perfect!!!(Edit: much better, but nowhere near perfect.) Knowing my luck, it'll recalibrate to a bad setting next time I drive. haha

The idle is still choppy, but most of, if not all of the low speed throttle response came back during my last drive, which is about my third drive since my last ecu reset. It only gets a super low idle for a short period of time now, similar to problems people have when this car is 100% stock. It did get low idle, but the engine didn't stall and it never cut power while I slowly accelerated.

Before this last, third drive, I adjusted the "crank case tube"... Could that be the reason? I previously had it slipped about 1/2 the way down the inlet, but now I have it pressed all of the way over the inlet and against the intake tube.

Maybe that was the problem all along!

Update: Although it has improved, the occasional bog is still there. The idle of the car is all over the place, switching phases and whatnot, but doesn't seem as prone to a dangerously low idle anymore... My guess is that another ecu reset may be needed, since I haven't reset it again since I adjusted the crank case hose.(What may have been the issue.) However unlikely it seems, i'm willing to try anything rather than swap the stock intake back on.

Last edited by BuBlake; 09-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
BuBlake
Chronic Flashturbator

Garage
Alright guys, I know you're tired of this thread already because all I do is complain to no avail, but now my car is running great and I would like to share some advice for anyone else getting this intake:

-Make sure the crank case tube is slid all of the way on, not half way! I thought that having it all of the way on would kink the tube, so I backed it off a little. Instead of helping, this actually caused my engine to run like crap with this intake.

That's what apparently caused all of my problems: -Choppy idle -loss of torque at +/- 1500RPM

The car doesn't run perfect, but it does seem to have more top end power. The low speed throttle response is now about 95% of what it was stock. Idle is fixed and it restored my confidence... Now back to enjoying the car without worry of reliability or random jerkiness!

Last edited by BuBlake; 09-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuBlake For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (11-01-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
EN2_Squirrel

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantomRider View Post
Do you have to reset ECU? I didn't reset mine. I been running 2k miles with Injen intake with no issue except when I start up, the RPM is at 1.5K then it drops slowly to 700-800. Is that normal?
mine does that when cold and i have no intake yet
EN2_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EN2_Squirrel For This Useful Post:
FantomRider (10-01-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #28
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Alright guys, I know you're tired of this thread already because all I do is complain to no avail, but now my car is running great and I would like to share some advice for anyone else getting this intake:

-Make sure the crank case tube is slid all of the way on, not half way! I thought that having it all of the way on would kink the tube, so I backed it off a little. Instead of helping, this actually caused my engine to run like crap with this intake.

That's what apparently caused all of my problems: -Choppy idle -loss of torque at +/- 1500RPM

The car doesn't run perfect, but it does seem to have more top end power. The low speed throttle response is now about 95% of what it was stock. Idle is fixed and it restored my confidence... Now back to enjoying the car without worry of reliability or random jerkiness!

Ahh thanks for the advice... Man i got my intake back towards the end of Aug and took it off within a week because of all the same problems u were having.. I may try it again this weekend and see what happens.
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsibarra For This Useful Post:
BuBlake (01-18-2013)