follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #449
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Pablo Blue in Webster texas. It's a hell of a drive for most of you. He's pretty much a one man shop. You call, make an appointment, and get the best work I've ever seen. He's done my Mustang, and my friends entire fleet of vehicles. Look up his reviews.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #450
Badman Forever

Drives: FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Badman Forever
I'm looking to get my tint done at either Executive Tint or EVS Motors. As for clear bra, looking at going to Driver's Source.

Btw,I saw a silver fr-s going north on hwy6 near i-10/memorial area around 6pm. I was in the orange one going south.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #451
hewno2

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Hot Lava Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GM all. I found a good remedy for the front license plate problem. Check out Altec Products "Show-N-Go" license plate holder. It's pretty slick. I am having mine installed this week. I ordered it on ebay.
hewno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #452
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artizhay View Post
All the Texas cars will have front plates unless you provide a drill-free plate mount before the dealership drills into it. Any dealership selling a FR-S either without a drill-free mount, without a drilled mount, or fulfilling a customer request to leave off the front plate would be breaking the law.
Fortunately there is no law stating dealerships must drill holes, or personally place a license plate on your vehicle. In fact, I cannot recall the last time anyone touched my plates after handing them to me at the service desk when they arrived weeks after buying the car.

They tell you that simply to make you stop asking. They are morphing the law that states you must have a front plate and adding the dealer requirement themselves.

Show me the statute. You can't, because it doesn't exist, and the dealer can't either.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #453
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
^

I heard they fudged up something last year so for the entire 2012-13 year we don't have to have front plates. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since I moved here 1.25 years ago. Never been pulled over once.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #454
artizhay

Drives: Scion FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to artizhay Send a message via MSN to artizhay Send a message via Yahoo to artizhay
Feel free to call any dealership and they will tell you the same. I have talked to several. Besides, for the vehicle to pass inspection by the dealership, it must have dealer plates. You can look that up on the Secretary of State website.

As for the current front plate law as @Synack mentioned, it's still an offense to not have a front plate attached, there is just no valid penalty for it.
artizhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #455
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
^

I heard they fudged up something last year so for the entire 2012-13 year we don't have to have front plates. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since I moved here 1.25 years ago. Never been pulled over once.
They fudged up the law and took the part out about penalties for plates. You technically are required to have front and back plates but they cannot enforce any penalties... So that means you don't need ANY plates. At least until the next congress meets in two years (Apr-Nov 2014 if I have my dates correct.) The only thing required at the moment is that the car be inspected and registered (again you don't have to display stickers right now.)
@artizhay
There has never been a law about dealerships putting plates on the car. They are not even required to register the car, have you pay taxes on the car, or inspect the car. That is the buyers job. The dealerships do those things to roll them into financing and make it seem like they are doing a big service to you. In reality it is a way for them to make money. Then again how many people pay the taxes in cash when they buy a car (other than me?) I even went and got the car inspected (which you cannot do without registering it; hence the post about dealer tags) and since it is a new car it costs 14 bucks and all they do is turn the car on and punch in the VIN number.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hix For This Useful Post:
fistpoint (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #456
redwing634

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Feel free to call any dealership and they will tell you the same. I have talked to several. Besides, for the vehicle to pass inspection by the dealership, it must have dealer plates. You can look that up on the Secretary of State website.
Tell you what, that they MUST attach the front plate?

Because as I stated earlier, I was able to order one from the same dealership u bought from, but without a front plate...
redwing634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #457
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Quote:

As for the current front plate law as @Synack mentioned, it's still an offense to not have a front plate attached, there is just no valid penalty for it.
I don't doubt your story or research one bit, of course that's what they told you, because it is infinitely more simple than arguing with you and it covers their asses just in case.

If you don't want holes drilled, be adamant. If they refuse, find another dealer. Next time ask them to show you the law as it applies to them, not to a random motorist.

The issue the guy a couple posts up is talking about is in regards to our Texas Legislature forgetting to include the penalty section of the law. However, you can bet your ass you're still going to get a ticket, you will have to argue the missing penalty portion on your own. And since judges can basically do whatever they want in their own courtroom, you most likely wouldn't win anyway unless you had another strategy of winning in the first place.

My solution to a front plate ticket is to simply get new plates, because the front plate was obviously stolen, hence its absence. No front plate(last time I checked), was not a moving violation and therefore will not affect your insurance rate.

Quote:
Besides, for the vehicle to pass inspection by the dealership, it must have dealer plates. You can look that up on the Secretary of State website.
Actually, its "dealer plate", as in one single plate. Dealers are not required to have 2 plates, only 1. The customer requires 2 plates. I read that part of the law last night. That even further implies the lack of requirement for the dealer to drill holes and actually place the plate on.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #458
RowTarEEE

Drives: Mazda RX-8 MT, Scion FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
All in all, this discussion is boring. We are going too in dept with this subject. Can we change the subject now? How about discussing a next meetup to oh say...Galveston?
RowTarEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #459
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
On the topic of plates. How would one go about getting custom plates? I found a site on the internet for custom Texas plates, would i have to work through my dealer on that?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #460
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
On the topic of plates. How would one go about getting custom plates? I found a site on the internet for custom Texas plates, would i have to work through my dealer on that?
myplates.com is the only site

I'll be taking the "OVR9000" custom plate in a couple weeks once the 7-letter option becomes available.

Well unless it's like $200+
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #461
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
myplates.com is the only site

I'll be taking the "OVR9000" custom plate in a couple weeks once the 7-letter option becomes available.

Well unless it's like $200+
Yep, that is the site i was looking at. Do you order these plates and take them to the dealer to safe yourself a little on TTL? or do you just have to order them after you receive your car?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #462
cobrabyte

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
Yep, that is the site i was looking at. Do you order these plates and take them to the dealer to safe yourself a little on TTL? or do you just have to order them after you receive your car?
Unfortunately, you won't save yourself on TTL. To order the plates, you give them your current plate number -- if memory serves me correctly. That'd be a nice trick though.