follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #15
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I have ~63k miles and it just started for me a few weeks ago and is getting progressively louder. I started out only hearing it going in and out of the garage and now I can hear it sometimes in normal driving. I checked every bolt and nut I could find for proper torque and nothing was loose. I have an appt. with the dealership in January. Hoping for the best and going in with the TSB in hand.
My ended up being something rubbing against the splash guard. But first time was the spring mounts.

Some WRXs, Outbacks, Crosstreks, etc., also are having similar issues. Someone on NASIOC said their issue was solved by lubing up pressure plate on the steering rack. So seems like the same symptoms are caused by multiple issues. Not trying to scare you away, but just want you to be realistically pessimistic.

Sent from a potato
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
immortal_suby (12-27-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #16
bmxr

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP WR Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a passenger front strut mount replaced at about 20k to fix the noise once. Now the noise is back on the left side at 28k.
bmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #17
immortal_suby

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My noise ended up not being the struts. It was the under engine guard not torqued down to spec. Must have had a few loose bolts in it. This was self inflicted. I took it off when changing the gear oil this summer. I do remember tightening and double checking the tightness of all the bolts when I put it back on, but I did not use a torque wrench. Live and learn. The dealer was very nice about it. I still can't believe that was the source of the noises but they are now gone.

Quote:
I have ~63k miles and it just started for me a few weeks ago and is getting progressively louder. I started out only hearing it going in and out of the garage and now I can hear it sometimes in normal driving. I checked every bolt and nut I could find for proper torque and nothing was loose. I have an appt. with the dealership in January. Hoping for the best and going in with the TSB in hand.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #18
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My noise ended up not being the struts. It was the under engine guard not torqued down to spec. Must have had a few loose bolts in it. This was self inflicted. I took it off when changing the gear oil this summer. I do remember tightening and double checking the tightness of all the bolts when I put it back on, but I did not use a torque wrench. Live and learn. The dealer was very nice about it. I still can't believe that was the source of the noises but they are now gone.
Hi, was your noise in reference to the clunk when turning your steering wheel? If so, I'm curious how does the undercarriage splash shield cause a clunk/pop? I'm getting loud clunks coming from both sides and from what I can hear they are from the top hats. Both front struts were replaced brand new only 2k miles ago too ;/.
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote