follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
RRBS

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sitting still, probably normal. While driving...i'd say not, and it's time to pay the dealer a little visit.
RRBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeK View Post
update for those who are interested...

my clutch still clicks even after they replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and the flywheel.

I went under the dash to further observe where the sound came from and concluded the following: the click comes from the welded joint where the clutch pedal shaft meets the triangular metal piece. (for those who did the clutch adjustment, the triangular metal piece is connected to the U-shaped bracket right above the accelerator pedal)

I guess I have to live with the clicking noise. :S
Thanks for the update.

But that sucks that you still have the clicking noise. Can you bend/pry those two parts apart .. ??

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 12-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
SteveGrillo

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think I have exactly the same click (more like a "tick"). And I can make it go away or get louder by pushing the pedal with a bit of left pressure or right pressure while pushing down and releasing.

Sounds like a spring clicking partway down. And it sounds like it's coming from the pedal assy somewhere.

Thoughts?

Steve
SteveGrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,935 Times in 16,471 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGrillo View Post
I think I have exactly the same click (more like a "tick"). And I can make it go away or get louder by pushing the pedal with a bit of left pressure or right pressure while pushing down and releasing.

Sounds like a spring clicking partway down. And it sounds like it's coming from the pedal assy somewhere.

Thoughts?

Steve
Maybe a shot of silicone .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
BaeK

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBS View Post
Sitting still, probably normal. While driving...i'd say not, and it's time to pay the dealer a little visit.
It clicks whether the car is stationary or moving. Even without the car running, it’ll make that sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks for the update.

But that sucks that you still have the clicking noise. Can you bend/pry those two parts apart .. ??

humfrz
I doubt I can bend the welded joint. I tried to see if the metal cap is loose (the cap that is connected to the triangular piece and the clutch shaft), but it’s pretty firm. If you have a manual frs, go under your dash where the clutch rod/U-shaped bracket is connected to the triangular piece. You should be able to see what I’m talking about. I’ll try to post a pic later tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGrillo View Post

Thoughts?

Steve
I agree with you. It does sound like it’s coming from somewhere in the pedal assembly; but figuring out where is the frustrating part lol. I’ve tried spraying a #$%$ load of WD-40 at the welded joint described above, but the clicking sound still exists.
BaeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:23 AM   #20
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Any update on what came of this @BaeK
I have the same problem, i'll be bringing it up with toyota early next week.
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #21
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is just as simple as this, but I have the clicking noise as well, but I know exactly what it's coming from.

To describe my situation: When I press in the clutch, I hear a "click" sort of like the click when you push the button on a pen, only a little louder, and hear the same click when I let go of the clutch.

That noise is coming from a little switch. For those of you who have the gear indicator turned on, that "click" is the switch being turned on to show you what gear you're in. When you push in the clutch, the button "pops" out with a click, and the gear indication disappears. Once you let go of the clutch, the clutch return pushes the button back in, and you hear the click again, and the gear indication comes back on the screen.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm 90% sure that's how that mechanism works and that's what the noise you're hearing is.

EDIT: Just read the first post again for a second time. This isn't the noise you're hearing. Never mind. Hope you find out what's wrong.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
BaeK

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne View Post
Any update on what came of this @BaeK
I have the same problem, i'll be bringing it up with toyota early next week.
@Khorne

Hey Khorne, sorry for the late response. I've been in Japan and Korea for the past 3 weeks and haven't had a chance to get on this forum.

Anyways, my solution can be found here (make sure to read through all pages first): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57383

I placed a rubber washer between the rubbing plates (where the bolt is torqued to) and haven't had a clicking noise since.

Hope this helps.
FT86Z (04-30-2018), Khorne (05-13-2014), Porcupint (06-09-2015), PulpBrah (07-06-2017)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #23
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
Just checking to see if this issue was ever resolved.

I just started to hear this click noise when first depressing the clutch pedal. It doesn't happen every time the clutch is pressed, but enough to notice.

My theory is that it's the switch on the clutch that detects that it's being pushed in. Maybe the switch is failing, or needs adjusting.

Anybody else have this?

Thanks

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #24
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dollars to donuts its the "assist" spring on the clutch pedal. Mine started making that noise shortly after I bought it. I took the spring out and it stopped. Put a lower strength MTEC spring in later and it came back. I suspect I could lube wherever the problem is and shut it up, but I'm too lazy and wedging my 6'6" 240 pound self under that dash again is the stuff of nightmares.
MJones_RB (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #25
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Dollars to donuts its the "assist" spring on the clutch pedal. Mine started making that noise shortly after I bought it. I took the spring out and it stopped. Put a lower strength MTEC spring in later and it came back. I suspect I could lube wherever the problem is and shut it up, but I'm too lazy and wedging my 6'6" 240 pound self under that dash again is the stuff of nightmares.
Good point. I have the MTEC spring as well. I'll have to wedge my ample frame down there and lube up that area as well.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #26
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,002 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Subaru has a TSB for an updated pedal assembly for this noise, surprised Toyota does not.

Subaru's updated part # is 36004CA010 for the pedal assembly and requires 2 clevis pins part # 905200018

Repair is covered only under the 3-year/36,000 mile basic warranty.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #27
hpanju

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
When I'm in neutral and depress the clutch, when it engages I hear and feel a click. Is this normal?
hpanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #28
xZAMx

Drives: '13 FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpanju View Post
When I'm in neutral and depress the clutch, when it engages I hear and feel a click. Is this normal?

I'd like to chime in and say this is happening to me as well. I hear the *click* coming from the rear though. I've heard that tightening your axle nut may help this?

Can anyone confirm?
xZAMx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch click, clutch clicking, take it to the dealer, use your warranty