follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #65059
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,814 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Need advice from actual car people:. I let my original battery get real low on fluid and I think that's why it is having problems starting. What are the chances I can fix it, and is it even worth the effort vs just getting a replacement?

We will be closing on a new house and starting to move in 2 weeks, so that factors in monetarily, temporally, and mentally, otherwise I'd look at this as an opportunity to figure out a more advanced/lightweight (li) solution. I could probably get a really cheap battery for now, but temporary solutions make my eyelid twitch. Need a slap and to be pointed in a good direction...

Yes, this belongs in the technical section, but I'd just be waiting for the RT crowd anyway lol.
I didn't even know batteries could get low on fluid. I know they have fluid in them but I thought it was an enclosed system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #65060
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Random Thoughts - Part Deux

Quote:
Need advice from actual car people:. I let my original battery get real low on fluid and I think that's why it is having problems starting. What are the chances I can fix it, and is it even worth the effort vs just getting a replacement?

We will be closing on a new house and starting to move in 2 weeks, so that factors in monetarily, temporally, and mentally, otherwise I'd look at this as an opportunity to figure out a more advanced/lightweight (li) solution. I could probably get a really cheap battery for now, but temporary solutions make my eyelid twitch. Need a slap and to be pointed in a good direction...

Yes, this belongs in the technical section, but I'd just be waiting for the RT crowd anyway lol.

The damage is most likely already done and the only real fix will be a new one. I’d just trickle charge for now until you can get to a point that you have the chance to replace it. You may be able to nurse it along for a bit.

Might try this. I’ve never had much success with it though.

https://itstillruns.com/remove-sulfa...s-8211189.html
Spuds (01-11-2020), Ultramaroon (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #65061
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,485 Times in 6,179 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I didn't even know batteries could get low on fluid. I know they have fluid in them but I thought it was an enclosed system.

I think the OEM one is a serviceable wet cell battery. The user manual seems to indicate that at least. I know enough about them to know there's a lot I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #65062
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The damage is most likely already done and the only real fix will be a new one. I’d just trickle charge for now until you can get to a point that you have the chance to replace it. You may be able to nurse it along for a bit.

Might try this. I’ve never had much success with it though.

https://itstillruns.com/remove-sulfa...s-8211189.html
Most informative link and info I've seen so far, thanks. Google searches typically turn up replacement stuff. I don't actually have a trickle charger though (yeah something to get after the move at least) so that's another small hurdle there. I guess I should just look for a quick/cheap replacement for the winter.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #65063
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

It will help. At least it will prevent the battery explosion scenario. Add distilled/DI water and if you do it with a density-measuring turkey baster thingy, you can measure the result. First fill only enough to measure initial value. Then test again when full.

Test a third time after the battery is fully charged. You'll have a feel for how much you can trust the battery based on how much sulfur you can get back into solution.

Also, it helps to stir up the water in each cell. Suck up some water with the bulb and squirt it back purposefully.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #65064
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It will help. At least it will prevent the battery explosion scenario. Add distilled/DI water and if you do it with a density-measuring turkey baster thingy, you can measure the result. First fill only enough to measure initial value. Then test again when full.

Test a third time after the battery is fully charged. You'll have a feel for how much you can trust the battery based on how much sulfur you can get back into solution.

Also, it helps to stir up the water in each cell. Suck up some water with the bulb and squirt it back purposefully.
Wait, they can explode!?!? <Googling Intensifies>
Old 01-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #65065
Spuds
The Dictater

So I am an idiot... Fluid isn't low, just couldn't see the level through the semi transparent case. On inspection by actually opening the caps, all cells have fluid at what seems to be an appropriate level covering the plates. Battery probably just needs a long trip or something, though it could also be dying for other reasons.

Thanks for helping out anyway guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #65066
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,381 Times in 7,414 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Wait, they can explode!?!? <Googling Intensifies>

They gas off hydrogen. It’s pretty impressive when they let go. But not common.
soundman98 (01-11-2020), Spuds (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #65067
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,211 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
So I am an idiot... Fluid isn't low, just couldn't see the level through the semi transparent case. On inspection by actually opening the caps, all cells have fluid at what seems to be an appropriate level covering the plates. Battery probably just needs a long trip or something, though it could also be dying for other reasons.

So you’re saying the battery has bad design because you can’t see the fluid? 🤔
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (01-11-2020), NoHaveMSG (01-11-2020), soundman98 (01-11-2020), Spuds (01-11-2020), Ultramaroon (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #65068
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,814 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Through it on a trickle charger. They aren't expensive and a great thing to have. I keep.one on my 74 Lincoln but it's saved me on my other more modern cars quite a few times.

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #65069
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
yes, batteries blow up.
https://jalopnik.com/a-car-battery-e...-su-1830036076

Quote:

personally, if it still had 1-2 years on the warranty, it's worth tinkering with. if the warranty is up, better to just get a new battery.

Quote:
Most informative link and info I've seen so far, thanks. Google searches typically turn up replacement stuff. I don't actually have a trickle charger though (yeah something to get after the move at least) so that's another small hurdle there. I guess I should just look for a quick/cheap replacement for the winter.
i was told many years ago that any battery in service will build up crystals on the lead plates that reduce the effectiveness of the battery, so the best way to maintain any battery is to put it on a trickle charger for a while to dissolve those crystals, because many chargers intentionally have 'dirty d/c' power, and the jiggly a/c waves shake the crystals off the lead plates, rejuvenating the battery.

this article goes a lot more in depth, and doesn't fully reinforce that idea, but acknowledges the condition, as well as that overcharging at 15-16v can sometimes bring battery plates 'back to life'
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._to_prevent_it

i keep the brz on a stanley battery maintainer-- it's small, compact, and has a disconnectable lead that just barely pokes out of the cowl by the wipers. i don't believe that it's charging algorithm is superior to any other maintainer on the market, i just like it's particular connection features. the nice thing is it auto-senses the battery, so i have it powered and zip-tied to the joist above the car, and just plug into the battery whenever the car sits over a week there(the ONE advantage to having a 7' garage ceiling).

and it's only $15 on amazon. i got mine for $8 from a local hardware store.

https://smile.amazon.com/STANLEY-BM1...8792040&sr=8-4
NoHaveMSG (01-11-2020), p1l0t (01-11-2020), Spuds (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 08:30 PM   #65070
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,675 Times in 6,782 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
and congrats on the new house!! i hope all goes well!
Spuds (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #65071
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

fuck off troll
Old 01-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #65072
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
So you’re saying the battery has bad design because you can’t see the fluid? 🤔
Or are my eyes poorly designed because I can't even see the battery fluid level? Every other design for eyes would be able to see it clearly.

Also,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
korhun (01-13-2020), spike021 (01-11-2020), Ultramaroon (01-11-2020)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis