follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
Holy... 500hp? You'd need to dump a lot more weight in the back and get you some wide ass tires too.

I think ~250whp will be the sweet spot for this car without it losing the fun factor it has.
Thats exactly what Orido did.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Give it time. We have the EM guys doing their work (such as Phil above working with Andrew Nam at Hydra, AEM is on it, Cobb, and then there's ecutek *ugg*), the guys making turbo kits (look at Don at Accelerated Performance or the guys at Treadstone. Raffi has told me that Full Race is going to wait about 18 months) and those of us doing internals to take the abuse. Aside from my usual hard parts, I'm working with the guys at Deatchwerks for some fuel solutions using my background in DI and GDI.

500whp is a rather everyday thing in an EJ...in my world. With the new 'slight' changes to the FA (fundementals are the same), their will be some learning curve but I foresee things getting rolling quickly.

I will say that 500whp on the street, I think would be scary. I only know of a few street uses that guys use that for...

Phil, please tell me the Hydra will be able to use a pot to control the traction control! I'm also still wondering when I might be able to pick up my third Hydra. I'm going to need one in about 6-8 weeks for the new engine. Perhaps I'll just bug you at VIR tomorrow.

Last edited by 3MI Racing; 07-18-2012 at 11:45 AM.
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #45
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
You guys act like the fastest race cars in the world aren't high power, light, and real wheel drive first off 2800 lbs isn't that light so if my STi is 2900 lbs and puts out 673 whp you get what I'm personally going for.

Now putting down the HP will be tough but is it really any different than any other car trying to put down a lot of hp? It will be pretty straight forward getting a 285 slick under the rear but wider will require substantial pulling, stretching, flares, or a widebody.

Instead of detracting someone from the idea, embrace it, as the more we push this platform the more popular it will be and therefore more aftermarket support for all hp levels.
It's fine and all if somebody wants to do it, it's their car and money. However, I think it doesn't impress a lot of us because this car was made for cornering and maneuvering rather than in a straight line.

So what's the point of having ungodly amounts of horsepower when the max you'll be going is 50-60mph most of the time? Sure for the tracks with a few straights it may be beneficial but are you sacrificing the overall feel of the car?

If this was a car that I could see being a drag car, then sure I'd be more open to it. But now it just seems like people want to do it for the "car peen" award and I just don't quite get that.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #46
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You guys act like the fastest race cars in the world aren't high power, light, and real wheel drive first off 2800 lbs isn't that light so if my STi is 2900 lbs and puts out 673 whp you get what I'm personally going for.

Now putting down the HP will be tough but is it really any different than any other car trying to put down a lot of hp? It will be pretty straight forward getting a 285 slick under the rear but wider will require substantial pulling, stretching, flares, or a widebody.

Instead of detracting someone from the idea, embrace it, as the more we push this platform the more popular it will be and therefore more aftermarket support for all hp levels.
I'm not scoffing at the idea of having a 500hp FR-S. I'm scoffing at the idea of the OP trying to drive a 500hp FR-S. He clearly pulled that number out of his ass, knows jack shit about automotive performance, and probably can't afford to make a 500hp FR-S in the first place. Grow up, move out of your parents' basement, get a good-paying job, read some car books, sell the SUV, buy a beater car, experiment with it, blow it up, sell it, buy an FR-S and then ask that question.

/rant.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
Give it time. We have the EM guys doing their work (such as Phil above working with Andrew Nam at Hydra, AEM is on it, Cobb, and then there's ecutek *ugg*), the guys making turbo kits (look at Don at Accelerated Performance or the guys at Treadstone. Raffi has told me that Full Race is going to wait about 18 months) and those of us doing internals to take the abuse. Aside from my usual hard parts, I'm working with the guys at Deatchwerks for some fuel solutions using my background in DI and GDI.

500whp is a rather everyday thing in an EJ...in my world. With the new 'slight' changes to the FA (fundementals are the same), their will be some learning curve but I foresee things getting rolling quickly.

I will say that 500whp on the street, I think would be scary. I only know of a few street uses that guys use that for...

O
Phil, please tell me the Hydra will be able to use a pot to control the traction control! I'm also still wondering when I might be able to pick up my third Hydra. I'm going to need one in about 6-8 weeks for the new engine. Perhaps I'll just bug you at VIR tomorrow.
Sure come and talk to me at UTCC unless it looks like I'm about to strangle someone and then wait until after the race I'm sure i'll be suspension tweaking all day.

What is pot for traction control, not familiar with that term?
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #48
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sure come and talk to me at UTCC unless it looks like I'm about to strangle someone and then wait until after the race I'm sure i'll be suspension tweaking all day.

Potentiometer?

The backlash on this guy isn't so much about whether the car should be turbo'd or not. It's about the 4 or so threads about guys like you already in the works that he didn't even bother to look for.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #49
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Quote:

yup, potentiometer! Much like AEM uses for tweaking your maps on the fly. Bosch Motorsport uses the same for their ABS and TCS setsup too.

We'll be busy shaking out lots of new things on the Turn In Concepts car as well. Maybe over a beer at the end of the day is a better idea
Old 07-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #50
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
yup, potentiometer! Much like AEM uses for tweaking your maps on the fly. Bosch Motorsport uses the same for their ABS and TCS setsup too.

We'll be busy shaking out lots of new things on the Turn In Concepts car as well. Maybe over a beer at the end of the day is a better idea
You get a hold of any heads yet?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #51
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Said screw it...working on a car...just for the engine lol