follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #57
Lupayn3

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I, too, got a recall and my car was at the dealer for about 10 days.

At first, they said it would only take them 3 days to do all the work, but ended up taking 10 working days.

So far, I get this high-pitched rattling noise at cold start that I have never heard prior to the repair.

I wonder if the dealer would cover the expenses if I return it back for a repair? Knowing dealers, I doubt they would, but might as well try.

Anybody else got unusual behavior on their cars after the repair?
Lupayn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #58
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupayn3 View Post
I, too, got a recall and my car was at the dealer for about 10 days.

At first, they said it would only take them 3 days to do all the work, but ended up taking 10 working days.

So far, I get this high-pitched rattling noise at cold start that I have never heard prior to the repair.

I wonder if the dealer would cover the expenses if I return it back for a repair? Knowing dealers, I doubt they would, but might as well try.

Anybody else got unusual behavior on their cars after the repair?
what dealer was this at?
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #59
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Dropped car off at the dealer this morning. Toyota in Hayward Ca. Got a rental..they said the process can take up to a week. They have already done one and said it took about 25 hours not 12 like what is being paid. I did ask them to replace the spark plugs with new ones. They agreed that I pay only for parts.

Since the car is out of warranty I asked what will happen if they mess up and the motor pops. They said the work has a 1 year 12000 mile warranty on the work.

I also asked them to send me pictures of the Di injectors so I can see what the seals look like. Heres hoping the process goes well.
Gunman (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #60
Lupayn3

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
what dealer was this at?
This was at Northridge Toyota at Northridge, CA.

At first, they said the recall only covers 2 days of car rental even though the job was 2-3days worth of work. They were insisting I should pay for the third day, but I refused. When I was about to leave, they stopped me and accepted the whole expense.

When it took them over a week for the job, I was worried if they messed something up. It felt like leaving your kids to a complete stranger.
Lupayn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #61
feldy

Yea the dealer I went to said this is definitely a 25 hour job.. not 12 like the recall said.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #62
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
I'm pretty much giving up on having the recall done, after the experiences here and one of the folks in my city had it done and they screwed up his crankshaft seal and overfilled his engine.

I don't trust the dealerships to do such an extensive job, and I have a supercharger waiting to go on the car. I'm afraid the dealer will give me back a less reliable engine than I gave them, and if it blows, they'll blame the supercharger.

Guess I'll take my chances with the old springs, hopefully it was just a rare defect.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #63
CamoFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
The dealer I went to said it will take 1.5-2 weeks. They also said this will be the 6th FRS they've done this repair on so they're familiar with the process and the parts that are required.

They're also giving me a loaner car (2018 Camry) for the duration of the repair process. No charge. If anyone runs into a dealer where they aren't offering this, you should point them to this Toyota USA FAQ page: https://www.toyota.com/support/#!/ap...tail/a_id/7653

"If my vehicle requires a warranty repair, will Toyota provide me with a loaner vehicle?
As part of our ongoing commitment to our customers, you are eligible for transportation assistance (1) under the Transportation Assistance Policy, if your vehicle (2) must be kept overnight for warranty-covered repairs for any of the following reasons:
  • The warranty repairs will take longer than one day to complete. (3)
  • The warranty condition requires extensive diagnosis.
  • The parts needed for the warranty repairs are not readily available and your vehicle is inoperative or unsafe to drive."

Now, they could be sticklers and say "that only applies to warranty repairs", but a major recall like this should fall under the same category. Definitely push for a free loaner.
CamoFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamoFRS For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-15-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 AM   #64
vagthomas

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
I'm pretty much giving up on having the recall done, after the experiences here and one of the folks in my city had it done and they screwed up his crankshaft seal and overfilled his engine.

I don't trust the dealerships to do such an extensive job, and I have a supercharger waiting to go on the car. I'm afraid the dealer will give me back a less reliable engine than I gave them, and if it blows, they'll blame the supercharger.

Guess I'll take my chances with the old springs, hopefully it was just a rare defect.
My thinking from the beginning of this whole story was that I would do the job only if Subaru took over the repair under warranty, irrespective to whether the car is an 86 or a brz... After all, boxer engines means Subaru, NOT TOYOTA!!

Στάλθηκε από το CLT-L29 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
vagthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #65
feldy

So got the call. They are about done.. but the parts for the damn spark plugs they want to charge me for is 240 dollars. WTF
Old 02-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #66
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
So got the call. They are about done.. but the parts for the damn spark plugs they want to charge me for is 240 dollars. WTF
They are like $20-25 each. $240 is a rip
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #67
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
Buy them online for $14 and bring them to the dealer. You can have them overnight air UPS for that kind of a difference. In my experience the Bay Area dealers mark their part up way over MSRP.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #68
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagthomas View Post
My thinking from the beginning of this whole story was that I would do the job only if Subaru took over the repair under warranty, irrespective to whether the car is an 86 or a brz... After all, boxer engines means Subaru, NOT TOYOTA!!

Στάλθηκε από το CLT-L29 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Agreed... Subaru / Toyota really dropped the ball by expecting regular techs to rip apart an entire engine to replace valve springs and one-use items. It would have been better to have dedicated teams travel to different areas that specialize in this job and have them do it, or just send out completely new pre-built heads and just keep the short block. Now there are reports of seized engines after warranty work, requiring completely new engines.

With the amount of man hours required, plus cost for rental vehicle, the possibility of a completely new engine replacement afterwards, they should have just done a full engine swap in 2 days instead of this 2 week+ garbage.
When Honda's R18 were recalled for an engine block crack, they did the right thing and replace the entire engine instead of expecting techs to tear the entire engine apart, replace just the block, then reinstall the head + pistons + crank, etc. And I'm 100% sure Honda took a bigger hit with the amount of 06-09 Civic's on the road than Toyota/Subaru will with this.
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highway7 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #69
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
Agreed... Subaru / Toyota really dropped the ball by expecting regular techs to rip apart an entire engine to replace valve springs and one-use items....
I think you are either over-estimating the skill required to do this task, or under-estimating the talent of the senior techs that are tasked at the dealerships with doing this job.

Heck, with the directions I read that accompany this, even I could have done the work, and I've never pulled a Subaru engine apart.

It's not the Enterprise, it's a relatively simple 4 cylinder engine.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #70
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think you are either over-estimating the skill required to do this task, or under-estimating the talent of the senior techs that are tasked at the dealerships with doing this job.

Heck, with the directions I read that accompany this, even I could have done the work, and I've never pulled a Subaru engine apart.

It's not the Enterprise, it's a relatively simple 4 cylinder engine.

Yes it's a relatively simple "4 cylinder engine" but it's also in a boxer configuration that isn't nearly as simple as a regular inline 4, that the average tech won't have experience on. I would argue that a boxer 4 is more complex than an i6 despite 2 less cylinders.

With pressure from superiors and time restrictions in addition to human error, it is realistic to assume that mistakes will be made during the recall as evident by others already complaining of new CEL, new noise, and seized engines that did not exist prior to bringing in their car.

Quote:
If you're going to talk the talk, then walk the walk. Simple as that.
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote