follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
Levente

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
Have fun daily driving with a Quaife sequential. It's a dream on the track, and somewhat tolerable on the street. I would hate to daily drive it..
What do you hate about it? Is it noisy? Hard clutch?
Levente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente View Post
What do you hate about it? Is it noisy? Hard clutch?
It's noisy, the shifter rattles like crazy, upshifts are smooth only under load (part or full throttle), but jerky under low or no load, you'll want a standalone (ie moetc) so you can do clutchless upshift/downshift+autoblip. It's a race transmission and best suited for that. Rebuild interval also reflects that.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente View Post
sportsguy83 - What did you swap to? LS or 2JZ? The reason why I want to avoid it is that it is much more complex, and the driving characteristics would change too much. I just love the cornering of the GT86.

I do not mind spending +15k than I'd do with engine swapping, I just want to do it the right way.

The handling changes way less than you would think. The biggest weight added compared to the FA20 and trans combo is in the huge transmission and that sits just below the center of the car. Yes, the engine is taller, but the turbo kit added a ton of weight upfront, and the weight penalty from LSs swapped compared to turbo is said to be V8 adds about 60lbs.

I did an LS swap. Definitely it’s more involved than just building the engine and you need either to be a craftsman, be super savvy DIY yourself or have a good trustworthy shop do it.

It’s pricey to do properly if you want oem dash and systems like AC, cruise control, ABS to work. I have them all working with Pure Automotive Motec package.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote