follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #57
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I didn't "need" them, but I have a weakness for over engineered titanium parts.

I am pretty happy so far with this alignment, but I need to get more seat time on it yet. I really haven't taken it out enough to test it yet.

It's my only car but my commute is only about 5 miles, so I figured I would start turning into a track prepped car.

Unfortunately I'm afraid to take it to the track. It's like a strange phobia. I'm weird. So for now I'll just drive around a track prepped car on the street. :/
I am the same way. I finally reasoned with myself that I will buy them if I need them, but otherwise I will just pick them up down the road when the budget allows.

I'm assuming the toe in the front is toe out?

You shouldn't be afraid to take it to the track! It's really not that bad. You can drive as hard or as soft as you want, so there really isn't a ton of risk unless the drivers around you are idiots. But to be honest, that is the same situation you encounter on the roads everyday.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #58
Brayden_23

Garage
Well after waiting 13 weeks, RCE finally got the top hats in stock and shipped them to me! I was originally told it would only be 2 weeks...Nothing against the company as they make fantastic products, but it is definitely an engineering company and not a customer-centric sales company.

That being said, coils are finally installed! I dropped Greta about an inch and a half and hot damn! This was exactly what she needed to tie everything together.

Still need to bring her in for corner-balancing and an alignment but at least by this point the springs seem settled.

She looks so much more aggressive and it really is what she needed. I love looking back at her that much more.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #59
Brayden_23

Garage
Alignment and corner balance done! Wow were my alignment specs off..Toe out front left, toe in front right, and the opposite for the rear. Backed off the rear camber from 3º to 1.8º. Increased front camber to 2º and gave her slight toe in in the rear.

I have a track day coming up on the 27th at The Ridge so it will be nice to see how the wheels/tires/coilover setup has changed her.

As for next steps, I just got my gauge pod from block8head and I will be ordering the JR dual oil cooler plus other supporting goodies by mid-August!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #60
Brayden_23

Garage
Track day was a success! Definitely could tell all of the improvements with wheels/tires, coils, alignment, and brakes. It did make me realize that I will definitely need a set of track pads. The Project Mu NS400s were good at moderate speeds, but when I started to push on the hot laps, the braking power was nowhere near what I needed it to be. I will probably pick up some Carbotech XP8s or XP10s before the next event.

As for oil cooler plans, I spontaneously decided to go to Germany for Oktoberfest, so the cooler will have to wait. I will still probably pick up the pads and a front pipe before the next track day on 30Aug.

Here's a picture from the track day at the Ridge!

Old 09-30-2017, 12:57 AM   #61
pimpfighterroq

Drives: Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey any updates on your build? My most recent mod is the gt86/monogram headlights installed on my car now and set of gram lights 57xtreme. Anyways, did you do anything to adjust the level of the beam of our new headlights? If you did, how did you do it? Was it the manual lever on the headlight? Please guide thanks!
pimpfighterroq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #62
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpfighterroq View Post
Hey any updates on your build? My most recent mod is the gt86/monogram headlights installed on my car now and set of gram lights 57xtreme. Anyways, did you do anything to adjust the level of the beam of our new headlights? If you did, how did you do it? Was it the manual lever on the headlight? Please guide thanks!
Just installed the Motiv front track pipe and the Whiteline positive shift mount. Now I get very subtle pops from the exhaust and it added just the right amount of growl. The shift mount has made a huge difference in shifter feel as well. Everything is super tight and direct now.

I adjusted the level of the headlights using the adjustment screws on the housing. Park your car on a flat surface 25 feet away from a wall. Then just adjust them up or down until the top of the light is 4 feet off the ground on the wall.

Let me know if you need any more guidance!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #63
Brayden_23

Garage
Had another spur-of-the-moment purchase and picked up some Radium catch cans! Had been looking into getting these for awhile now and happened to see a local member was selling his BNIB! Thanks again @eimarshall

I have a hard time letting mods sit around if I already have them on hand, so I went ahead and installed these today right after picking them up!

I took a few pictures to show how I routed the tubing since directions were vague and I'm sure others have routed them many different ways.

Overall, very happy with this product. Radium manufactures some superb parts and I am excited to add on a few more of their products in the future. These catch cans just ooze quality. The kit was very well polished and there were absolutely no hiccups during the install. I did go add a couple hose clamps just for peace of mind, but honestly they are probably overkill.

Considered routing the lines for the driver side can underneath the intake manifold, and while it would have made the bay look cleaner, I decided to route the lines as straight as possible. Really want to maximize the efficiency of these cans and routing underneath the manifold seemed to add a bunch of unnecessary bends.

Also was a hesitant about this install due to having Grimmspeed hood dampers installed in one of the holes the catch can bracket requires. Was able to find another thread where the issue was discussed and everyone came to the conclusion that everything fits just fine! I can attest to it working, as you can see in the images. Even better when all of your mods work together!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #64
Brayden_23

Garage
Just took her in for the 30k maintenance - last one covered under warranty! Glad it's over so I can just do everything myself from now on. You never know what the kids are back there doing to her...unless you have a dashcam.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #65
Brayden_23

Garage
Track day coming up on the 25th! Just got some Carbotech XP10s since the Project Mu NS400s are not up to track duty (never were expected to), and resulted in a spin-out at my last event. These should match with the MPSS well. Once I move on to a lower TW tire, I may look into XP12s or W7s.

I will be ordering the JR dual Oil cooler/Radiator here in the next couple weeks! I have been prepping for this for awhile now and will be doing a complete fluid flush on the car when this happens. Since install requires removal of the bumper, I have quite a few items that will be taking place during install: 1) black out turn signal housing 2) replace side markers as the clips have broken 3) oil change 4) coolant flush 5) trans fluid flush 6) diff fluid flush. 3 & 4 are mandatory for the oil cooler.

Interested to compare oil temps on track before and after the oil cooler install. I have only heard great things, and can't wait to see it for myself. Also curious to see how it affects oil warm-up times.

After all this will be aero mods: Trackspec hood vents, Verus front splitter with race upgrade, Verus rear diffuser, and possibly the SARD wing if the hood vents really do generate as much downforce as people have stated. Very excited for this step as all of these items will really change the look of the car. I will be doing this one component at a time to experience how the weight balance changes with each addition. And if I determine I don't need something, it may be dropped from the list. Hood vents are a must for me, so everything else will be added around them.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #66
Brayden_23

Garage
Track day went well! It was my first time at Pacific Raceways and it was a way different track than the Ridge. PR seemed much faster which added a lot of pucker factor - we even had 2 nice cars (a fully built blob-eye STI and a 90's NSX) lose control on the front straight and slam into the wall. Started out with just putting the car in VSC mode, and by the time I felt comfortable enough to turn it all off, the tires were pretty greasy so I ended up just turning VSC back on.

The brake upgrade was really appreciated. It is definitely more brake than the MPSS can handle. I will lower my PSI next event to see if I can match the grip to brake power a little better, but I definitely foresee a 200TW tire in my future.

Installed the JR DROC this past weekend! Really stoked to have finally installed it as it was an upgrade I have been looking forward to for quite some time. Install went off without any issues! I did have to remove the filter box from my Injen intake as it didn't fit with the new oil lines that come from the filter area. Not too big of a deal, and I like the look anyway of the exposed filter, even if it does mean it will get dirty faster.

Filled her back up with some Redline 0w20 and Subaru OEM coolant and no leaks or issues to speak of! Also took the time to put some fresh Motul 300 in the trans and diff and wow what a difference. I put Motul in it right after the break in period, but I hadn't realized how much of the smoothness had eaked away over the course of 30k miles.

Took the opportunity to black out my turns signals and install new side markers. Love the way the turn signals turned out, but I'm not sold on the side markers. I have now had OEM, JDM clears with white LED, smoked Helix with no light, and now JDM clear with orange LED. I think the bracket that holds the A clip is damaged because even with the new side markers, I can't get the tops of the marker to stay clipped in. I will be going in and likely zip tying to help clean up the appearance. Coming from not having a light in it, I am also kind of missing the look of not having it. The orange is very bright and I am very particular about how my car looks when lit up in dim/dark lighting.

I won't be at the track until the end of July, but I look forward to seeing how the oil cooler holds up and handles the added temps. If everything I have read holds true, I shouldn't have any problems.

Decided I will go with a diffuser next. I will hold off on the hood vents until after my next event. Hoping I can get the diffuser in and installed prior to the next event as well.

Overall, really happy with where this build has come. I think I'm done with engine modifications until PTuning turbo kit which won't be for some time since I really enjoy not fearing the redline with the OEM NA engine. After aero upgrades I think I will finally be able to sit pretty and keep my hands off her, which should help with budgeting for a turbo build.

Last edited by Brayden_23; 12-02-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #67
razor_1996

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey Brayden_23 what duck bill is that on the car? Do you have any other pictures of it??
razor_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #68
Brayden_23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_1996 View Post
Hey Brayden_23 what duck bill is that on the car? Do you have any other pictures of it??
It's the KM4SH (Kei Miura for Speed Hunters) ducktail:

https://store.speedhunters.com/produ...-tail-spoiler/
Old 12-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #69
Brayden_23

Garage
Well, for those of you that have been following my build, you will be the first to know that this adventure is coming to a close. I have greatly enjoyed my time with this car and learning all about it, but unfortunately it just isn't meshing with my lifestyle as much as I want it to. I am really into hiking/camping/exploring the great outdoors which involves lots of forest service road driving, and this car (or at least the way I have it setup) just doesn't have the capability of bringing me where I want to go. I was unable to rationalize continuing to modify it when I am only able to take it to the track a few times a year where it truly shines.

I won't officially be putting it up for sale for a few months, but wanted to do a quick documentation of everything that has been done to it. I haven't yet decided if I will be selling it as-is, or if I will put it back to stock (as much as I feasibly could) - all depends on the amount of interest the car fetches.

Car currently has ~37,5xx miles and counting as this is my daily driver. I have receipts for 95% of the service work and receipts for any mods if requested. I don't have receipts for a few of the oil changes I did myself, but these were performed between the regular service intervals. Maintenance work for first 3 years was covered under warranty by Rodland Toyota in Everett. Car has had zero issues and no warranty work performed - the HPFP chirps depending on gas/season, but it has never bothered me enough to go do something about it.

Lighting:
OEM Monogram/Release Series HID headlight conversion
Diode Dynamics swtichback turns - modified to only function as blinkers (reversible if desired)
OEM fog light kit with bezels
Diode Dynamics SLF yellow LED fog lights
Diode Dynamics amber corner marker LED
Diode Dynamics white LED upgrade for dome light
Intec High Mount 3rd Brake Light conversion
Insidious 4th Brake Light
Diode Dynamics LED rear turn signals
Diode Dynamics LED backup lights
Diode Dynamics LED license plate lights
Diode Dynamics Turn signal relay to prevent hyperflash

Exterior:
30% tint on sides, 20% rear window
Seibon TA carbon fiber side skirts
Verus non-aggressive rear diffuser + spats
KM4SH ducktail
Rays 57Xtreme 18x8.5 +45 Sunlight Silver wheels/MPSS ~50% life left (TPMS)
OEM wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks (no TPMS)
OEM lugs, Muteki black closed-end lugs, Muteki titanium open-end lugs
Grimmspeed front license plate relocator
Helix smoked side markers
JDM clear side markers
Blacked out turn signal housings (lens is still clear)

Interior:
3D Maxpider floor mats
OEM all season floor mats
OEM fabric floor mats
JDM armrest
FT86SpeedFactory Frameless auto-dimming rear-view mirror - stock mirror still available
Blackvue dashcam
Raceseng Slammer shift knob
Raceseng black reverse lock-out
OEM trunk lid carpet
Innovate AFR gauge
Innovate oil pressure/temperature gauge
Block8Head gauge pod (dual)
CG seat belt lockout
Verus throttle pedal spacer
Open Flash Tablet running OFT UEL stage 2

Engine Bay:
ZSPEC bolt dress-up kit (gold) - all original bolts still available
Injen SR intake
Grimmspeed Hood Dampers
K&N cabin air filter
Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator
Radium catch cans (dual)
Fumoto oil drain valve

Brakes:
Project Mu NS400 (daily)
Carbotech XP10 (track)
OEM Brakes still available with ~15k miles on them
Project Mu G-Four DOT4 brake fluid
Radium master cylinder brace

Exhaust:
JDL UEL catted header - thermal coated titanium color
Perrin overpipe
Motiv test pipe (front pipe without resonators or catalytic converters) - OEM front pipe still available
Perrin 2.5" resonated catback

Suspension:
Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2 w/ RCE pillowball topmounts and camber plates
Whiteline endlinks
SPL rear lower control arms (2nd edition that are adjustable for different height preferences)

Transmission:
Motul 300 transmission and differential oil
Whiteline positive shift bushing
MTEC shift springs
Perrin rear shift bushing

I have a lot of items for the car that can be included in the sale at no extra charge. I still have a few of the OEM parts such as OEM brake pads, shift knob + lockout, midpipe, rear mirror, and other small bits. I will also be including a box of Subaru oil filters. I also have a folder with receipts, original window sticker, and other documentation. Original manual will also be included.

Tons of love and care has gone into this car. This was supposed to be my forever car, as evidenced by the quality of my mods. Though it doesn't make sense in my life at this moment, I absolutely anticipate picking up another 86 later on in life. While the car has been tracked, I have made sure to always keep a close eye on oil temps and pressures, and I always performed an oil change before and after the event. I used the car to help learn about vehicle dynamics, so I was not beating on it as hard as some of the other members here might. It was mostly an outlet for me to go fast and learn how the car reacts under different conditions.

If anyone sees this and has any questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM - I am pretty responsive through those.

Last edited by Brayden_23; 03-21-2019 at 08:41 PM.