follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #155
ATaraxias

Drives: 1994 Geo Metro Hatchback
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TY!

Last edited by ATaraxias; 03-21-2018 at 12:25 PM.
ATaraxias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #156
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,486 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If the FP has a cat all you have to do is swap off e85 and you'll be STX legal. E85 and/or no catalytic converters at all puts you into CSP or SM, both classes allow non-street tires (Hoosier A7) so you won't be competitive with Bridgestones but that won't bother anyone.

Per 3.6 you can only run E85 in Street or Street Touring if the car is designed for it:
Quote:
3.6.A Fuels comprised of more than 15% ethanol may only be used when specified by the manufacturer (e.g., in the owner’s manual for flex-fuel vehicles).
CSP should be slower than SM, but just head out and have fun anyway.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #157
jay_reef15

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got a quiestion i have a Personal Grinta steering wheel in my brz would thst be able to pass inspection for autocross?
jay_reef15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #158
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_reef15 View Post
I got a quiestion i have a Personal Grinta steering wheel in my brz would thst be able to pass inspection for autocross?
For now it should be legal, as long as it is the same weight as the OEM (with mounting hardware).

There is talk about no longer allowing aftermarket steering wheels because of the airbags (they could change the rules as early as next year so that you will no longer be allowed to change or modify anything that had an airbag like seats and steering wheels).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #159
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Note, the steering wheel allowance is for ST* not Street (CS/DS) or SSC.

Whether it passes tech is not itself related to whether it is legal, only whether it is safe.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #160
jay_reef15

Drives: BRZ
Its not the same weight as the oem since it dosent have air bag on it i still have al my oem parts i think i am going to get a new steering wheel that has the air bag and is alcantara
jay_reef15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #161
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
I did my*first autocross of the year recently and i have a couple question to solve my problems,

First here is my actual setup:
Fortune auto 500 with 9k/8k swift springs
Grimmspeed strut bar
Whiteline LCA*
Nitto invo 245/40/17 tires
And my alignement is set to -2.5 / -1.8 camber (cant remember caster and toe)

Now here's the thing:
My car has tons of grip in the front but it tends to oversteer in slaloms or when im in a quick turn.

1. I know i dont have the best tires i just got them because i had a crazy deal on them. What would be the best tires for autocross and DD? (I cannot have 2 sets of wheels and tires)*

And should i upgrade to 255 instead of 245?

2. Should i add a little bit more camber in the rear or play with the toe? (My car is a DD lets not forget about that)
My camber is already maxed out front and rear, i think i would need adjustable toe arm to achievemore camber in the rear if i need to.

3.Should i downsize the rear swaybar for like a Mann engineering? I have a 2017 so bigger swaybar than previous model

Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qc86 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #162
strat61caster
-

1. Shot in the dark but Hankook RS-4 would be my guess, size will be preference, buy what's cheaper and focus on seat time, use the Nittos for awhile longer, low grip teaches you good things. There are a few other 200TW tires that could fulfill the same purpose. Give up a run and have an instructor drive your car with you sitting shotgun, I learned a lot more doing that than any passenger shouting any advice at me possibly could teach. Videos are useful for comparison too.
2. Toe in may help, take it to a different shop if they're saying you're maxed, you don't need toe arms and the Whitelines should be able to get you over -2.5 in the rear with stock toe arms. Every nationally competitive 86 STX car has stock toe arms, I've heard as much as 1/2" and run as much as 1/4" but that's a work in progress on my end.
3. Just try detaching it first, see what happens, no cost tuning, can probably do it in between runs.

A good driver can make any car feel ok, a bad driver can make the best car in the world feel like crap, don't start throwing money at the car when the nut behind the wheel can have the biggest effect. You may be unsettling the car and creating problems not related to the way it's set up. Damper adjustments also may be playing a part in what you're feeling as well, maybe softening the rear will get you what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Qc86 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #163
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
A second set of wheels and tires often pay for themselves due to reduced wear on the race rubber. You can store them just about anywhere. I used mine for a "grownup" racecar bed for a while where they were my bed frame, and you could throw a plywood top and cloth over the top to make a table. Or you can just stack them in a corner since they take up as much space as a large trash can.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #164
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
1. Shot in the dark but Hankook RS-4 would be my guess, size will be preference, buy what's cheaper and focus on seat time, use the Nittos for awhile longer, low grip teaches you good things. There are a few other 200TW tires that could fulfill the same purpose. Give up a run and have an instructor drive your car with you sitting shotgun, I learned a lot more doing that than any passenger shouting any advice at me possibly could teach. Videos are useful for comparison too.
2. Toe in may help, take it to a different shop if they're saying you're maxed, you don't need toe arms and the Whitelines should be able to get you over -2.5 in the rear with stock toe arms. Every nationally competitive 86 STX car has stock toe arms, I've heard as much as 1/2" and run as much as 1/4" but that's a work in progress on my end.
3. Just try detaching it first, see what happens, no cost tuning, can probably do it in between runs.

A good driver can make any car feel ok, a bad driver can make the best car in the world feel like crap, don't start throwing money at the car when the nut behind the wheel can have the biggest effect. You may be unsettling the car and creating problems not related to the way it's set up. Damper adjustments also may be playing a part in what you're feeling as well, maybe softening the rear will get you what you want.
Thanks for the advice, i head the BFG rival s 1.t arent bad but i dont know about how long they last.

Next autocross event ill try to have an instructor drive my car and will ride shotgun for sure, wish i could have another set but all the events a 5hrs drive and i cant bring the second set with me when im going.

I will try detaching the sway bar.. no risk doing it right?

And i tried playing with my damper, it did a difference when i went full soft in the back i saw it was more grippy.

And my wallet dont really care throwing money at my car for things i dont need

Thanks for the feedback!
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 AM   #165
Zoid

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Are SPC LCA's safe for autocross? They look awfully thin.
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #166
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
Are SPC LCA's safe for autocross? They look awfully thin.
Safe? Yes. Not much different than stock. Stock bushings in them aren't legal for STX though. You can get them with a legal replacement bushing.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #167
Zoid

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Safe? Yes. Not much different than stock. Stock bushings in them aren't legal for STX though. You can get them with a legal replacement bushing.
I read that in a much older thread while looking around and that a lot of people seem to go for Whitelines instead. I think I read those were legal for STX but I also read that they're noisy where as the SPC's aren't which is a big factor in which I end up choosing since this is my DD. Do you know anything about this? Where would I get the SPC's with the bushings you mentioned and would that affect the noise?
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #168
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
Do you know anything about this? Where would I get the SPC's with the bushings you mentioned and would that affect the noise?
I think I've only seen FRSport offer it installed.
https://frsport.com/dif-10595-adjust...uring-fr-s-brz

Bushing on its own:
https://diftech.com/products/street-...r-s-brz-445911

I don't know for sure, but I think this would be noisier than most solutions, delrin is basically solid plastic, a softer bushing like what Racer-X used to offer would be more DD friendly but I don't know if there's anything like that on the market still.