follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #29
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,359 Times in 7,399 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
Are you sure about that?.. Pretty sure the only ones he doesn't make himself are the used ones..

"Final Drive Gears
We sell only high quality ring and pinion gear sets. All sets are CNC machined and lapped for quiet operation. Be aware of cheaper gear sets, they will not run as quiet or last as long as these gear sets will when properly installed."
That statement doesn't say anything about making them, just the manufacture process.

It takes some pretty specialized equipment to machine and heat treat gears. I know my local heat treatment facility was doing parts for Randy's R&P and Yukon. Judging by their proximity I would assume both company's parts are actually the same.

I know Longfield axles were made by RCV too.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
fika84 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #30
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That statement doesn't say anything about making them, just the manufacture process.

It takes some pretty specialized equipment to machine and heat treat gears. I know my local heat treatment facility was doing parts for Randy's R&P and Yukon. Judging by their proximity I would assume both company's parts are actually the same.

I don't know if he manufactures the gears himself or not, but I did see a CNC machine at the shop when I went to pick up my diff.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #31
fika84

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

Yeah I know, I just get the feel that he does from reading about him and seeing his website.. I sent him an email telling him that I love the 4.88 and then asked if he manufactures them himself, hopefully he gets back to me and we can all know!
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
clay217 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #32
clay217

Drives: 2013 scion frs , 1999 subaru legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Since it appears difficult to contact Weir Performance these days, do any of his happy customers know what brand gears he was selling? Weir Performance was not in the business of manufacturing gears; these days there really are not many manufacturers... For those that are looking for lower cost options than the Toyota kits (I paid about $400 vs about $200 for the third party sets).

My guess is that he was selling Yukon Gears, US Standard Gears, Richmond Gears, or possibly US Gears...

Does anyone who bought just gears from him remember what brand was on the box?
exactly the info i am in search for
clay217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #33
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay217 View Post
exactly the info i am in search for
I don't remember seeing any other brand names on the gears.. but it's been a couple of years now since I put them in.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:40 AM   #34
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
How do you like the OS Giken?? I couldn't swallow the price at first so I went with MFactory and got the inner parts WPC treated. Did you have any chatter with the OS Giken?
I think it’s one of the best modifications I’ve done to the car (and I’ve done many...) and it transformed the way the car behaves on corner entry end when putting down power. You can get on the throttle earlier and the back end is just rock solid coming off of corners - it just really changes the way the car feels and is kind of hard to describe, but I really like it.

No, my unit has no chatter and has been totally silent.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #35
RJasonKlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Since it appears difficult to contact Weir Performance these days, do any of his happy customers know what brand gears he was selling? Weir Performance was not in the business of manufacturing gears; these days there really are not many manufacturers... For those that are looking for lower cost options than the Toyota kits (I paid about $400 vs about $200 for the third party sets).

My guess is that he was selling Yukon Gears, US Standard Gears, Richmond Gears, or possibly US Gears...

Does anyone who bought just gears from him remember what brand was on the box?
I can’t tell you if Spence produces the gears on-site, has them subcontracted, or puts his own label on another maker’s items. The gearset that I had installed came neatly packaged in a plain white box and I don’t recall seeing any markings on the gears themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
clay217 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #36
clay217

yeah i saw this but going for same price as spencers, i am really wanting the 4.88 and that is the hardest to track down with install kit it seems
Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #37
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Is upgrading the axles necessary? I've heard of broken axles after track days with an upgraded FD due to the added torque.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #38
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0thing View Post
Is upgrading the axles necessary? I've heard of broken axles after track days with an upgraded FD due to the added torque.
I'll let ya know if I ever break one... I'm still on stocks after many thousands of miles (some track days) without any issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
clay217 (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #39
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
I think it’s one of the best modifications I’ve done to the car (and I’ve done many...) and it transformed the way the car behaves on corner entry end when putting down power. You can get on the throttle earlier and the back end is just rock solid coming off of corners - it just really changes the way the car feels and is kind of hard to describe, but I really like it.

No, my unit has no chatter and has been totally silent.
I'm a little jealous, but if the MFactory ever takes a shit on me, that's the direction I'm going, I've heard nothing but amazing things abour OS Giken. I can vouch for the awesome feel into and out of corners as well with a mechanical LSD!! When off the throttle going into the corner, it pulls the inside into the direction of the steer, and when powering out of the corners it just grips and moves!

I also got it for help in snow, even though I don't drive in the snow anymore with it, but the stock torsen was a bit unpredictable in the snow.. it always seemed to want to slide toward a side. With the mechanical LSD it is very very predictable.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 AM   #40
RJasonKlein

Quote:
I'm a little jealous, but if the MFactory ever takes a shit on me, that's the direction I'm going, I've heard nothing but amazing things abour OS Giken. I can vouch for the awesome feel into and out of corners as well with a mechanical LSD!! When off the throttle going into the corner, it pulls the inside into the direction of the steer, and when powering out of the corners it just grips and moves!

I also got it for help in snow, even though I don't drive in the snow anymore with it, but the stock torsen was a bit unpredictable in the snow.. it always seemed to want to slide toward a side. With the mechanical LSD it is very very predictable.
No need to be jelly, I’m sure the MFactory mechanical LDS works very well, indeed. The increased predictability you describe is dead on with my experience. I drive on Maxxis RC-1s on the street and they have a lot of grip, but they will break free in cooler weather or when the pavement is wet - a mechanical LSD makes the back end of the car so predictable when the wheels are spinning.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #41
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
bump to read later!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #42
clay217

so does anyone know the circumference of the final gear? 7.5" or 8" as i can find both for a fraction of ones rebranded with name brands

Last edited by clay217; 02-19-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Tags
frs differential