follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ATLAS Express for analyzing logs

If there are any simracers out there with iRacing subscriptions this may be of interest to you. iRacing made a deal with McLeran to support telemetry output to ATLAS. So if you have an iRacing subscription you will have download access to the ATLAS software.

What is cool is I found a way to import CSV files from Tactrix (or any CSV for that matter) into ATLAS. Here is how to set it up. On the menu go to Tools/Options. Then click the "Text Session Formats" tab and then click the "New" button. Fill everything in like this:

Then click the "Set Definition" button.

Once this is done you should be able to click the blue load session button. Then click the drop down at the top left and select "Import External Data - .csv". Here is a screen shot:

Then just browse to whatever folder your logs are stored in and you should see them on the list.

Now I just need to learn my way around ATLAS. I've been using MoTeC i2 Pro for years and know it well. To bad there isn't a way to get CSV into MoTeC without a $2000/year license.

ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
ermax

My main interest in this is the ability to log with Techstream. Techstream will log literally everything on the ECU. I can't find addresses for a bunch of things I'm interested in for logging directly with the Tactrix. Techstream doesn't log AFR, instead it logs AF Lambda B1S1 which needs to be multiplied by 14.7 to get AFR. datazap.com doesn't allow math to be applied to a channel so I was looking for a more powerful tool for analyzing logs and preferably free. I really wanted to use MoTeC because that is what I am used to from simracing but it looks like ATLAS will do everything I need.

I had to write a little program to clean up the Techstream exported CSV to make it work right in ATLAS. It simply removes some header junk (car description), removes spaces from the header names and then changes the format of the time code from MM:SS.FFF to HH:MM:SS.FFF. Now ATLAS pulls it right in.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
ermax

This formula will determine the gear number. I didn't log the clutch. I will probably log the clutch going forward and add logic to my formula to return a 0 when the clutch is pressed. Also, the calculated gear ratio moves around a lot so I had to do gear ratio ranges to determine the gear number. This formula only works on the MT with the 4.1 final. Obviously you can change the final in this formula without too much trouble. If you have an auto then you would have to play around with the individual ratio ranges to make it work. But I suspect the auto already has a channel with the gear number without having to figure it out with math.

Code:
ratio = ($EngineSpeed*60)/($VehicleSpeed*0.621371*844*4.1)

if (ratio > 3.440 && ratio < 6) {
	return (1)
} else if (ratio > 1.8 && ratio < 2.35) {
	return (2)
} else if (ratio > 1.38 && ratio < 1.65) {
	return (3)
} else if (ratio > 1.1 && ratio < 1.280) {
	return (4)
} else if (ratio > .85 && ratio < 1.100) {
	return (5)
} else if (ratio > .70 && ratio < .79) {
	return (6)
} else {
	return(0)
}
844: The number of revolutions per mile on the OEM tires.
$VehicleSpeed*0.621371: Converts KPH to MPH
$EngineSpeed*60: Converts engine revs per min to revs per hour
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Without googling, I'm going to ask: What can the software do?
- I suppose it's analysis of you driving performance, like the software from AIM?

If so, maybe it would get more response in the "Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting" subforum?

One problem I see with Techstream is the need to have a laptop open in the car during a track session. Plus the inconvenience the of cumbersome connection process. Are you doing this to log GPS position? Why not log directly with Tactrix?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
ermax

Well you can analyze data logs for tuning just as people do with datazap only with a lot more flexibility. The tool is made for the McLaren F1 team so it’s obviously going to be more feature rich than the datazap website.

But yeah it is also used for telemetry sort of stuff like you would use on a track. I haven’t messed with trying to import GPS data yet.

I agree about Techstream being a pain to use though. But it logs literally everything and it does in at a very high sample rate (depending on how many channels are logged). ATLAS can load any CSV file though. It just has to have the timecode as the first column and it has to be in a supported format. But it’s fairly easy to write a program to take a CSV log and make it compatible.

I wish ALL the ram addresses were know so we could use Tactix to log everything. It’s so much easier.

Oh also, datazap has a 4M filesize limit. ATLAS is designed for full races so it basically doesn’t have a filesize limit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tor (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For data analysis, datazap is not really that effective. I don't think that was the purpose either. But it's okay for a "quick look".

But if you really want to work with the data (like building statistics that you can use to identify appropriate corrections to the tune) I find Vgi's tool (log stats tab) super effective and so flexible that you can do practically anything you can imagine with it.

I would rather use a tool like Atlas for performance-oriented analysis, but with the lack of GPS based identification (basically vs. a track database), it's going to be difficult. Even if it can do that, there is still the Techstream issue. With the kind of events, I'm mainly doing there will never be time to set it up before going out. As far as I know, neither Tactrix or Ecutek can log GPS position.

The best option for that seems to be the Aim Solo DL, which is on my wishlist.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hopefully GPS on EcuTek is coming

ViperData is the one I would use for viewing logs if I didn't already use Vgi's tool and ProECU.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Tor (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #8
ermax

I will check out some of these other tools. Thanks for the tips.

As for GPS you can do it with ATLAS, I just haven’t looked into it. I’m guessing it would just be another column in the CSV. You could log the GPS with a phone and then merge the data with your existing CSV. The problem would be syncing the timecode.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tor (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Cool, thanks much!
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Hopefully GPS on EcuTek is coming

ViperData is the one I would use for viewing logs if I didn't already use Vgi's tool and ProECU.
ViperData looks promising but the download link is dead.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
ViperData looks promising but the download link is dead.
@VitViper

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Looks like he hasn't logged on since October last year. I sent an email too. I guess I will wait and see.