follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #99
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
@johan what do you think about the first gen TSX? Specifically the 06+ models with the updated K24A2 (I've read the 04-05 models burn oil). I think it could be a good daily/occasional autocross track car. I've read they have good suspension setups and dat K24.
Some say, the 1st gen TSX was the last great FWD Honda (I would tend to agree with those people). There's a reason Realtime Racing dominated with that chassis.

As much fun as the 06-11 Si was, it never had the poise, grace or precision of the 1st gen TSX. That chassis was basically like a 4dr Integra Type-R once you got it setup correctly.

The engine in the 06-08 is definitely a gem. Only issue at this point would be that they are now considered old and will likely need some work to get back to 100%.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (01-07-2018), funwheeldrive (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #100
Pekingduck

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I just pick 2018 Honda Civic Si. Comparing the two cars is really hard. The engine for sure I like in the Civic due to turbo and that nice mid range torque. Plus the MPG on the civic is really good for sporty feel. In city driving I average 32-34mpg with moderate driving. The gear box I prefer in the civic better to how smooth the shifting is. The handling I would give to the twins. The civic would understeer on turn in and only when exiting with gas it feel neutral due to lsd from the civic. The car would still understeer at limit when on the gas. If you ask which one I would pick it really depend on your lifestyle: family, MPG importance, back seat, and overall space

Last edited by Pekingduck; 03-04-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Pekingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pekingduck For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (02-23-2018), funwheeldrive (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #101
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekingduck View Post
I just pick 2018 Honda Civic Si. Comparing the two cars is really hard. The engine for sure I like in the Civic due to turbo and that nice mid range torque. Plus the MPG on the civic is really good for sporty feel. In city driving I average 32-34mpg with moderate driving. The gear box I prefer in the civic better to how smooth the shifting is. The handling I would give to the twins. The civic would understeer on turn in and only when exiting with gas it feel neutral due to lsd from the civic. If you ask which one I would pick it really depend on your lifestyle: family, MPG importance, back seat, and overall space

get on the gas earlier. easy fix. i also think the turn in can be fixed since its not like drive wheels arent as big a limiting factor when you arent accelerating. all kidding aside it sounds like a pretty solid train of thought.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #102
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Ugly. And the civic interiors I always found to be cringeworthy. Plus FWD
I know right.. never understood comparing fwd to rwd.

Just because cars are in the same price range doesn't mean they are comparable.
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #103
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Some say, the 1st gen TSX was the last great FWD Honda (I would tend to agree with those people). There's a reason Realtime Racing dominated with that chassis.

As much fun as the 06-11 Si was, it never had the poise, grace or precision of the 1st gen TSX. That chassis was basically like a 4dr Integra Type-R once you got it setup correctly.

The engine in the 06-08 is definitely a gem. Only issue at this point would be that they are now considered old and will likely need some work to get back to 100%.
Any tips to bring the fun out? I've got a hand-me-down '07 TSX and it just feels bloated and ungainly (with oddly stiff damping meaning ride quality is just ok, and the seats make my back hurt), not a bad car, but totally uninspiring to me, I've been keeping an eye out for something affordable and fun to replace it (ideally with 4-doors and a hatch) but if there's something not too invasive to perk it up I'd love to give it a shot.

fwiw it's an AT and I'd love to teach the gf to autox in it
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 AM   #104
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Any tips to bring the fun out? I've got a hand-me-down '07 TSX and it just feels bloated and ungainly (with oddly stiff damping meaning ride quality is just ok, and the seats make my back hurt), not a bad car, but totally uninspiring to me, I've been keeping an eye out for something affordable and fun to replace it (ideally with 4-doors and a hatch) but if there's something not too invasive to perk it up I'd love to give it a shot.

fwiw it's an AT and I'd love to teach the gf to autox in it
Well, the AT on those is pretty terrible. The 6MT makes a dramatic difference. Those old Honda ATs are just a snooze fest.

That said, at 10 years old - I'm sure the suspension is hurting. If I had to guess, I'd imagine the shocks are done and you're just feeling the springs doing the work. Also - Honda uses a compliance bushing in the front suspension that is famous for failing after about 5 years of service. Those cause all kinds of problems.

And of course, as always - none of that matters if you have a sloppy tire on it.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-13-2018), strat61caster (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #105
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
And of course, as always - none of that matters if you have a sloppy tire on it.
I think that's the biggest mistake I've made on the car, slapped some floppy all seasons on there about two years ago (might even be 225/50/17 iirc) because I wasn't thinking and it was just a commute car. That compliance bushing is funky and you're right, probably worth checking out after 10 years and >100k miles.

I was going to dismiss the dampers as it's always been a bit uncivilized over rough roads (it's my mom's old car, I was in the backseat on the test drive almost 11 years ago) but better dampers would probably wake it up quite a bit regardless of the quality of the current dampers.

Thanks for the suggestions, that car might morph into an unexpected project.

Aaaand now I'm looking at Koni's and Tirerack at work for the boring 4-door car, AT be damned.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
johan (02-13-2018)