follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #43
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I wasn't saying they have the same experience, hence my post.
If you go back and read what I wrote in response to you, you'd understand that not all automatic transmissions are built equally... a point you confirmed in your above reply.

And the auto transmission in the ZC6/ZN6 is very good, enough to win.

As for the whole sports car/super car debate, the point I'm making is that just because a car has an automatic transmission does not mean it's not a sports car. If I decide I want to share my next 2-door sports car with my girlfriend, I'd get an automatic and call it a day.

-alex
who cares if it wins. It's an automatic.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
J Greg BRZ (12-12-2017), Tokay444 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #44
Bluesman62

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
One thing I should note...living in South Florida, there is a lack of nice curvy roads. Hum, to think about there are none! Just lots of straight boring roads. Not an ideal place for a BRZ unless you go to the track allot. I would have loved to do some canyon cutting in the Tennessee mountains or out west in the BRZ. So I never used the car to it's full potential.

But that is where the Genesis is fun. The straight line acceleration is awesome. And that V6 sings a nice growly sound!

But bottom line each car has its pros and cons. I enjoyed my time with the BRZ, it was fun doing all the little mods. But at the same time I am enjoying the comfort and bells and whistles with the Genesis and love that V6.
Bluesman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman62 For This Useful Post:
Andr3w (12-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #45
J Greg BRZ

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman62 View Post
One thing I should note...living in South Florida, there is a lack of nice curvy roads. Hum, to think about there are none! Just lots of straight boring roads. Not an ideal place for a BRZ unless you go to the track allot. I would have loved to do some canyon cutting in the Tennessee mountains or out west in the BRZ. So I never used the car to it's full potential.

But that is where the Genesis is fun. The straight line acceleration is awesome. And that V6 sings a nice growly sound!

But bottom line each car has its pros and cons. I enjoyed my time with the BRZ, it was fun doing all the little mods. But at the same time I am enjoying the comfort and bells and whistles with the Genesis and love that V6.
I can agree with this. I'm about an hour from the Blue Ridge Parkway, and plenty of twisty back roads here in NC. However, I lived in Houston, Texas for about a year and the BRZ definitely wouldn't be as fun with all the straight roads and traffic.
J Greg BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #46
J Greg BRZ

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
If you go back and read what I wrote in response to you, you'd understand that not all automatic transmissions are built equally... a point you confirmed in your above reply.

As for the whole sports car/super car debate, the point I'm making is that just because a car has an automatic transmission does not mean it's not a sports car. If I decide I want to share my next 2-door sports car with my girlfriend, I'd get an automatic and call it a day.

-alex
I don't know man. Sometimes you just gotta heel toe that summa b*tch.
J Greg BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #47
Andr3w

Drives: Corolla
I really like the first gen. genesis coupes, such a timeless and simple design.

I always do a double take when I see one in mirabeau blue or red!

Andr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #48
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Hyundai could build an 86 eater with their 2.0 Turbo in it.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #49
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

In a straight line, the second gen (BK2) Genesis can eat an FRS all day long. In track testing the Genesis is faster too- for a lap or 2. But the terrible brakes overheated and the gen can't run many laps on track whereas the FRS just ran and ran and ran. In AutoX the Gen is a dog too. The flat 4 is the perfect low engine design for AutoX nd the chassis is the best. The Gen is bigger, heavier and has a higher COG.

But that Turbo I4 is a great engine.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #50
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
BRZ to Genesis Coupe

Quote:

-alex

Because you know, girls can’t drive a manual. My mom refuses to drive an auto and both of my sisters refuse to drive an auto. My first wife refused to drive an auto until we had a kid and wanted an SUV. She also autoxed. My current (2nd and hopefully last) wife also drives and enjoys a manual. Getting an auto because you have a girlfriend/wife is lame.

Also, winning an autox in an auto doesn’t prove a whole lot. It isn’t like you do a lot of shifting. The autox I did a few weeks ago had one shift from 1st to 2nd. As long as the auto holds the gear and engine brakes then it shouldn’t have any disadvantages. In an autox it wouldn’t even take away from the fun factor.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #51
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My opinion:

The gen coupe is probably a great street car but the aftermarket support is just not even close to FRS BRZ

And I've seen at least 2 turbos blow up at the track, coincidence maybe but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #52
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Genesis Poop.
Tokay444 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #53
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post

But that Turbo I4 is a great engine.
Right. That motor in something similar to the 86 would most likely not quite have the 86's handling capabilities but would satisfy the lack of power issue that most people have.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #54
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Hyundai could build an 86 eater with their 2.0 Turbo in it.
Hyundai will never build an 86 eater because they will never build a sports car. To do that they would have to commit to a purpose built sports car chassis. No, instead every sporty car Hyundai will make will continue to be a repurposed sedan or hatchback chassis cut down to two doors and therefore will be heavy, flexy and not laid out to have typical sports car traits like a ridiculously low cog, low hoodline, and low weight. Sportscars are uncomfortable, demand sacrifice by the customer (usually with NVH and space) and therefore demand risk by from the mfg. Cars like the 86 are niche by definition. Sporty cars, hot hatches, sports sedans and GTs are dime a dozen because they're relatively cheap to bring to market and everyone from soccer moms, to co-eds, to bros love to go fast in a straight line in comfort and especially luxury. Little risk, usually big rewards and yet another fat car that can't turn, transition or reward the driver's improvement with feedback, control and more speed.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
dowroa (12-15-2017), ermax (12-14-2017), GeorgeJFrick (12-31-2017), venturaII (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #55
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Hyundai will never build an 86 eater because they will never build a sports car. To do that they would have to commit to a purpose built sports car chassis. No, instead every sporty car Hyundai will make will continue to be a repurposed sedan or hatchback chassis cut down to two doors and therefore will be heavy, flexy and not laid out to have typical sports car traits like a ridiculously low cog, low hoodline, and low weight. Sportscars are uncomfortable, demand sacrifice by the customer (usually with NVH and space) and therefore demand risk by from the mfg. Cars like the 86 are niche by definition. Sporty cars, hot hatches, sports sedans and GTs are dime a dozen because they're relatively cheap to bring to market and everyone from soccer moms, to co-eds, to bros love to go fast in a straight line in comfort and especially luxury. Little risk, usually big rewards and yet another fat car that can't turn, transition or reward the driver's improvement with feedback, control and more speed.
I agree. But there is hope that they MAY develop a sports car. They are planning on this N line of cars and they are developing with their WRC program. I'd love to see that Veloster M become reality (but it won't) because a RWD, rear engine hot hatch would be awesome.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 AM   #56
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post

The original Stinger concept was supposed to be a sports car. Now it's a muscle sedan...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote