follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 11-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #17935
DimitrisBreg

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DimitrisBreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DimitrisBreg For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (11-27-2017), Teseo (11-27-2017), wulfstan (12-01-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #17936
DimitrisBreg

Time for change the oil today!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 AM   #17937
DimitrisBreg

Time for oil change!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimitrisBreg View Post
Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #17938
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,947 Times in 16,476 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We heard you the first time ..........

Perty oil can ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #17939
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Took off the perrin rear shifter bushing after 1 day of use. Turns out it does not work with the trd quick shifte4

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #17940
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Over the weekend had Toyota perform the last service with an oil change, cabin air filter, and spark plugs free of charge. Also, they will fix my AT gear shift under warranty so I can downshift. Not that the using the gear shift mattered to me since I just use the paddles anyways. But a free fix, why not? This is one dealership that has always taken care of my cars.
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #17941
Darth Khan
I think therefore.....

Drives: Toyota 86 860 Halo White (Manual)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Probably need to fiddle with your equalizer and whatnot
Yea, bet this happens to most people who 'UPGRADE' to an aftermarket sound system. Install a pricey after market head unit which requires some after market fitting kit to stop it looking like it was fitted by a drug addict trying to pass the time while in rehab.

Then when it's installed you spend weeks tweaking the system in a vain attempt at trying to get it to sound at least as good as the one they just removed. Even then most of the so called improvements are placebo effect.

There are so many factors to a good sound system in a car, however the one thing that most twin owners seem to forget is the standard sound system in most newer cars ARE NOT THAT BAD, regardless of what many people will say on this forum. I could go into signal to noise ratios in most in car sound systems but I would take too long and I have better things to do than teach very basic sound dynamics.

The majority of cars on the road do not have the correct acoustics to support a Hi-End sound system. No matter how much money you spend on the head unit, pre-amp, sub woofer etc. It will NEVER sound as good as a mid range in home system. The road noise, engine noise, small speaker size and awful sound acoustics of a typical car means you will hear very little difference over the standard sound system.

And to top it all off:

They spend thousands on expensive equipment and listen to Pandora streamed music with a maximum bit rate of 128 kbps. For the less informed of you, a typical CD's bit rate is 1411 kbps Hi resolution bit rates are 9216 kbps. And finally they are listening to it via Bluetooth which is re-sampling it before sending it to the receiver to be decoded (Again) before being sent to the amp.
humfrz (11-27-2017), Myriad (11-28-2017), Tcoat (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #17942
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Khan View Post
Yea, bet this happens to most people who 'UPGRADE' to an aftermarket sound system. Install a pricey after market head unit which requires some after market fitting kit to stop it looking like it was fitted by a drug addict trying to pass the time while in rehab.

Then when it's installed you spend weeks tweaking the system in a vain attempt at trying to get it to sound at least as good as the one they just removed. Even then most of the so called improvements are placebo effect.

There are so many factors to a good sound system in a car, however the one thing that most twin owners seem to forget is the standard sound system in most newer cars ARE NOT THAT BAD, regardless of what many people will say on this forum. I could go into signal to noise ratios in most in car sound systems but I would take too long and I have better things to do than teach very basic sound dynamics.

The majority of cars on the road do not have the correct acoustics to support a Hi-End sound system. No matter how much money you spend on the head unit, pre-amp, sub woofer etc. It will NEVER sound as good as a mid range in home system. The road noise, engine noise, small speaker size and awful sound acoustics of a typical car means you will hear very little difference over the standard sound system.

And to top it all off:

They spend thousands on expensive equipment and listen to Pandora streamed music with a maximum bit rate of 128 kbps. For the less informed of you, a typical CD's bit rate is 1411 kbps Hi resolution bit rates are 9216 kbps. And finally they are listening to it via Bluetooth which is re-sampling it before sending it to the receiver to be decoded (Again) before being sent to the amp.
Sure, most new car sound systems are not that bad... But when you compare our car to any other car, it's definitely near the bottom of the scale.
Even when listening to a CD or through aux it doesn't sound that great. My 1st Gen TSX sounded so much better than the BRZ and current WRX system.

There's also more to the sound than just bit rates.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #17943
trvth

Drives: '15 Halo Scion FRS, 1999 Saturn SC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDad2 View Post
Over the weekend had Toyota perform the last service with an oil change, cabin air filter, and spark plugs free of charge. Also, they will fix my AT gear shift under warranty so I can downshift. Not that the using the gear shift mattered to me since I just use the paddles anyways. But a free fix, why not? This is one dealership that has always taken care of my cars.
Free spark plug change? How many miles, and how long did the service take? Is that extended service agreement, or was there another reason for the $0 cost?
2015 Halo Scion FR-S 6MT new w/TRD exhaust, cold air intake, quick shifter, sway bars, lowering springs, & brake pads. Since then, TRD door braces, strut tower bar, & battery tie-down, Motul fluids in trans/diff & brakes, GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace, Stoptech stainless brakelines, OpenFlash Header 3 w/overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet on E85
trvth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #17944
Jussy

Drives: 86 GT Limited mk2
Garage
I just receive from japan my fenders enblems

Jussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #17945
Darth Khan
I think therefore.....

Drives: Toyota 86 860 Halo White (Manual)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Sure, most new car sound systems are not that bad... But when you compare our car to any other car, it's definitely near the bottom of the scale.
Even when listening to a CD or through aux it doesn't sound that great. My 1st Gen TSX sounded so much better than the BRZ and current WRX system.

There's also more to the sound than just bit rates.

You think the the twin is near the bottom of the scale? Even if that is true in cars the scale is pretty narrow, (with some exceptions but they are outliers and should not be used to justify upgrading a sound system) the narrowness is more to do with modern tech and cars unsuitability to HI-FI sound.

I don't deny that there are better head units available. But I find that most of the benefits are negated in sports cars and with twins in particular. The acoustic tub in the foot well is a good example of why a twin is a bad place to listen to music. (I know you can plug it , it's just an example)

I also have issue with is the law of diminishing returns. Individuals will spend a lot of money to get a relatively small improvement in sound. You would be better off using the money to reduce road/engine noise, add sound insulation to the doors and stop various other stuff from rattling. (Turning up the volume does not count)

Or even better use the money to have a nice sound system in your man cave and accept that listening to music in a car is at best a mediocre affair.

There are some cars that are pretty much silent when driving on the road. They have excellent sound dampening, special glass that reflects noise, very little or no engine/road noise and integrated sound systems that have noise cancellation. If only the twins were one of those cars, they are not.

I agree there is more to sound that bit rates but unfortunately ALL of the other factors are moot if you have a poor bit rate. Listening to streamed music with a typical bit rate means your highs are mostly missing, your mid range is flat and you bass is way over powered to hide the poor quality.
humfrz (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #17946
KDad2

Drives: 2013 Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvth View Post
Free spark plug change? How many miles, and how long did the service take? Is that extended service agreement, or was there another reason for the $0 cost?
YEP!!! I'm at 57K+ miles and it was part of the extended service agreement that the Scion dealer offered me when I first purchased the car 5 years ago. Oil and Plugs would of been $360. I'll have to look on the report to know the exact time of the work. But I think they told me it was about a 3-4 hour job before they started.
KDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDad2 For This Useful Post:
trvth (12-05-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #17947
q335r49

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lol I must be missing something. Listening to the Hotline Miami soundtrack while driving is the single most enjoyable musical experience of my life. Car audio makes you feel like you're on a mission. A bit different from listening to Schubert in your basement. Music in the car is all about the excitement and raw energy and not so much about the subtleties or whatever. Then again, cranked up, there's not much you miss.

That said, I have a hard time telling the difference between different audio systems, outside of the fact that our system can't support bass at high volumes, which is a shame.

But yeah, completely different situations here. Dirty music turned up way too loud vs. High fidelity audiophile classical -- there's not much similarity. And this is coming from a 35 yo who still loves driving, and not an obnoxious teen -- though sometimes driving definitely brings me back.

Btw: Youtube "Miami Disco Hotline Miami for the best twins driving soundtrack you've ever heard.
q335r49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
Beachin86 (11-29-2017), driftguy (12-01-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #17948
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
Lol I must be missing something. Listening to the Hotline Miami soundtrack while driving is the single most enjoyable musical experience of my life. Car audio makes you feel like you're on a mission. A bit different from listening to Schubert in your basement. Music in the car is all about the excitement and raw energy and not so much about the subtleties or whatever. Then again, cranked up, there's not much you miss.

That said, I have a hard time telling the difference between different audio systems, outside of the fact that our system can't support bass at high volumes, which is a shame.

But yeah, completely different situations here. Dirty music turned up way too loud vs. High fidelity audiophile classical -- there's not much similarity. And this is coming from a 35 yo who still loves driving, and not an obnoxious teen -- though sometimes driving definitely brings me back.

Btw: Youtube "Miami Disco Hotline Miami for the best twins driving soundtrack you've ever heard.
I've been jamming similar music in my car lately. If you want some other similar artists, check out Kavinsky and Lazerhawk. Definitely brings the vibe of pop-up headlights and neon colors. haha

Last edited by Beachin86; 11-29-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
q335r49 (11-30-2017)

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby