follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #155
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's not just 90's Hondas that are like legos. It's also aught-teens Porsches.

LSLM 2016-62 by Jim Wenzel, on Flickr
86 South Africa (11-10-2017), Cole (11-11-2017), nikitopo (11-10-2017), Tcoat (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #156
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
It's not just 90's Hondas that are like legos. It's also aught-teens Porsches.

LSLM 2016-62 by Jim Wenzel, on Flickr

Looks like a 16 bit render.
Ganthrithor (11-21-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #157
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
It's a pretty interesting display/conversation piece.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #158
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
It's a pretty interesting display/conversation piece.
There was something similar in the Lego store up by Toronto. Was pretty cool.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #159
xmadror

Drives: BRZ Sport Tech 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question

When I bought my BRZ I was living in an apartment and it would not have been practical to have 2 cars (would have needed 3 parking spot which is nearly unheard of in my region) so it was a great choice at the time.

Now that I've bought a house with a garage and a winter beater ('98 grand marquis) I'm toying with the idea to get a cayman which is a car I've always been interested in.
I'm just starting to search for one and learning more about them.

A '08 cayman s has peaked my interest and I'm wondering if anyone has any advise on it in or about cayman in general. The dealer add is here : https://www.hgregoire.com/used-car/p...or-sale-151759.

Seems to be in pretty good shape from what I can tell.
Millage (KM and not miles) is neither low or high for its age and since I'd drive it 6-7000km per year I'm not too concerned about that as long they can provide me with a good maintenance log.

I may go take a closer look at it during the week anything I should be on the look out for ?
xmadror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #160
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,765 Times in 935 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmadror View Post
I may go take a closer look at it during the week anything I should be on the look out for ?
General used Porsche advise: spring a couple hundred dollars for an independent pre-purchase inspection by a business that specializes in Porsches. Be sure it includes a DME report to check for missed shifts and how the car was driven.

Parts can be very, very expensive. On a Cayman the mid engine placement makes DIY impractical for most, so labor rates can be high too since it is hard to get at may parts.

Great cars, and all the general stuff applies in terms of maintenance records, obvious signs of excessive wear, etc.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
xmadror (11-19-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #161
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,187 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmadror View Post
Now that I've bought a house with a garage and a winter beater ('98 grand marquis) I'm toying with the idea to get a cayman which is a car I've always been interested in.
I'm just starting to search for one and learning more about them.

A '08 cayman s has peaked my interest and I'm wondering if anyone has any advise on it in or about cayman in general. The dealer add is here : https://www.hgregoire.com/used-car/p...or-sale-151759.

Seems to be in pretty good shape from what I can tell.
Millage (KM and not miles) is neither low or high for its age and since I'd drive it 6-7000km per year I'm not too concerned about that as long they can provide me with a good maintenance log.

Looks like that's around 93,000 in miles. Which is similar to what my car currently has (96,000 miles). The biggest thing I would look for, IMO, is if the car still has it's original clutch. The life of the original clutch is usually 60-90,000 miles so there is a good chance it has already been replaced. If not you're looking at around $3000 for a replacement (price in American $). Besides that, the window regulators have a tendency to fail. I replaced the passenger side one on my car 2 years ago. Spark plugs should be replaced every 50k miles (moderately easy DIY). At this mileage I would expect that the front rotors have already been replaced. If not, take that into consideration. If the rear rotors are also original they're probably due for replacement as well. The timing belt and water pump interval for this car is also 50,000 miles. If you're handy with a wrench you can probably do it, if not it'll probably cost at least $700 - so something to think about. Also if you're thinking about tracking the car at all you'll probably want to replace the shocks. At this mileage point they're going to show some considerable wear. Lastly, the transmission fluid will need to be replaced at 100k miles. Again, not terribly difficult but it's a bit more complicated than you would think, and takes a few hours to perform at home. I'm not sure when the accessory belt needs to be replaced, probably around 100k miles as well (really need to check this for my own vehicle, lol.) Suncoast Porsche is very handy for online parts ordering - they even sell maintenance "kits" for different mileage intervals (following factory recommendations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
General used Porsche advise: spring a couple hundred dollars for an independent pre-purchase inspection by a business that specializes in Porsches. Be sure it includes a DME report to check for missed shifts and how the car was driven.

Parts can be very, very expensive. On a Cayman the mid engine placement makes DIY impractical for most, so labor rates can be high too since it is hard to get at may parts.

Great cars, and all the general stuff applies in terms of maintenance records, obvious signs of excessive wear, etc.
Very good advice on pre-purchase inspections and DME report. However I disagree on the DIY impracticality. Given the location of the engine things aren't as difficult as you would think. Parts can be expensive, but if you buy online at wholesale prices they're not what I would call "horrible". But keep in mind that not only would you be switching from to a car with higher maintenance costs than the BRZ, you're also switching to an older car as well, which means more routine maintenance will need to be performed.

I've owned my 987 for 4 years now, I'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Coaster (11-24-2017), funwheeldrive (11-21-2017), Ganthrithor (11-21-2017), Tcoat (11-22-2017), xmadror (11-22-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #162
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Looks like that's around 93,000 in miles. Which is similar to what my car currently has (96,000 miles). The biggest thing I would look for, IMO, is if the car still has it's original clutch. The life of the original clutch is usually 60-90,000 miles so there is a good chance it has already been replaced. If not you're looking at around $3000 for a replacement (price in American $). Besides that, the window regulators have a tendency to fail. I replaced the passenger side one on my car 2 years ago. Spark plugs should be replaced every 50k miles (moderately easy DIY). At this mileage I would expect that the front rotors have already been replaced. If not, take that into consideration. If the rear rotors are also original they're probably due for replacement as well. The timing belt and water pump interval for this car is also 50,000 miles. If you're handy with a wrench you can probably do it, if not it'll probably cost at least $700 - so something to think about. Also if you're thinking about tracking the car at all you'll probably want to replace the shocks. At this mileage point they're going to show some considerable wear. Lastly, the transmission fluid will need to be replaced at 100k miles. Again, not terribly difficult but it's a bit more complicated than you would think, and takes a few hours to perform at home. I'm not sure when the accessory belt needs to be replaced, probably around 100k miles as well (really need to check this for my own vehicle, lol.) Suncoast Porsche is very handy for online parts ordering - they even sell maintenance "kits" for different mileage intervals (following factory recommendations).

Very good advice on pre-purchase inspections and DME report. However I disagree on the DIY impracticality. Given the location of the engine things aren't as difficult as you would think. Parts can be expensive, but if you buy online at wholesale prices they're not what I would call "horrible". But keep in mind that not only would you be switching from to a car with higher maintenance costs than the BRZ, you're also switching to an older car as well, which means more routine maintenance will need to be performed.

I've owned my 987 for 4 years now, I'm happy to answer any additional questions you may have.
Accurate assessment. I've had a 997 for a couple of years now (70-something thousand miles to 90-something thousand) and my car has needed or currently needs almost everything listed here. The Porsche is not as easy to work on as the BRZ, but like the 86 the Porsche community is full of good forums and there are great DIYs guides for all kinds of maintenance. I feel like with a little Rennlist reading there's almost nothing I couldn't fix on my 997 if I could be bothered to buy the tools and spend the time.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Coaster (11-24-2017), Tcoat (11-22-2017), xmadror (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #163
xmadror

Drives: BRZ Sport Tech 13
I went to take a look at that cayman s and it was in so-so shape and they couldn't tell me much about what was done maintenance wise, car was imported from the US.
The paint has a lot of small scratches and a few small dent.

But the bigger problem is that they couldn't finance more than 24 months (maybe 36 if they could get it approved) and I don't have enough of a cash down to make the payment low enough for me. So it looks like it won't happen after all. At least not for now.

They made me try a '13 BMW 335is 2 door convertible with 50k km that I really liked though and I'm thinking it over.
Didn't expect to like it that much. I never cared too much about how a BMW drives/handle but I had not driven a recent 3 series or anything as good as the 335is.
It is pretty heavy but it sure doesn't feel like it.

I was kinda impressed with the DCT 7 speeds transmission but I keep wondering if I'd miss the stick or not. Higher price tag by ~10k but I can finance it up to 8 years (considering going with 6-7 years)
xmadror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #164
mrybczyn

Drives: Miata
So many things wrong financially here.

0. Only spend 3-6 months of your post-tax income on a car. If you make $50K/year, spend $10K on a car.

1. Buy with cash or bring your own third party inexpensive financing.

2. Only look at total out-the-door price. Do not consider monthly payment. If you need to think about the monthly payment, you're purchasing something way too expensive.

Cars are expensive, depreciate in value, and take a bunch of money for upkeep, maintenance, insurance, registration, and operating costs. Don't overspend.
mrybczyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #165
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
so...by your reckoning, a person shouldn't go buy a new Civic type R unless they're making $150,000 a year? seems excessive.
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Submarinesonce For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #166
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarinesonce View Post
so...by your reckoning, a person shouldn't go buy a new Civic type R unless they're making $150,000 a year? seems excessive.

That's because it is, especially if you're buying it with cash. For most people, a car is an investment in transportation. For a lot of us, they can be toys, hobbies, etc. I would argue that you shouldn't FINANCE more than that percent of your annual income for any car but by all means, as long as you can afford insurance and maintenance, go drop more than your salary on a car if you've managed to save that much up. People spend tons of money on a lot of other hobbies. Why not cars?
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #167
DGSeries10

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
great video!
DGSeries10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #168
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybczyn View Post
So many things wrong financially here.

0. Only spend 3-6 months of your post-tax income on a car. If you make $50K/year, spend $10K on a car.

1. Buy with cash or bring your own third party inexpensive financing.

2. Only look at total out-the-door price. Do not consider monthly payment. If you need to think about the monthly payment, you're purchasing something way too expensive.

Cars are expensive, depreciate in value, and take a bunch of money for upkeep, maintenance, insurance, registration, and operating costs. Don't overspend.
I would bet the majority of people have a car payment...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote