follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #29
Syche

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S 6A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Those louvers on a stock body would look ludicrous. I would want blacked out windows so nobody would see my shame.

Now these would look great!

LOL that is too funny... if i ever decide to chop up the frs and go widebody and blah blah blah then maybe LOL but ill leave those to the stangs out there

22R
Syche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #30
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
You are totally and completely missing my point. Everyone you have ever given your private info for, whether it be getting a credit card, a home loan, buying your car, getting a job, etc. Literally anything you need to fill out any type of application for has info on you that they will sell.

Do you have a cell phone? If you do you are already giving up your photo albums, personal/private networks, and geolocation data because a cell phone is a tracker you pay for, and they can listen in and see in with the microphone and camera. And why do you think what you talk about on your calls is private? You can buy a reciever that can listen in on most cell phone calls for dirt cheap.

There are multiple companies that do exactly what you say facebook does. They just buy their data from others. Your ip address is tracked every site you go. Your physical location is tracked by your phone, your car, and every time you use any other payment method besides cash. It is also tracked by everyone else's phone and every security camera everywhere. Many places now have microphones to record everything.

The fact you think anyone is defending anything is absurd. The reality of the situation is far worse than you are giving it credit for. You cannot withdraw completely from society, it is not possible unless you go live on a mountain and kill your own food and make your own clothes and literally never interact with society. Otherwise anything you can possibly think of doing will create data that will be sold. And every company out there sells everything they can, because it is extra money.

Facebook is literally just the tip of the iceberg. Without legislation making it illegal to sell people's personal info, privacy is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Sorry that your feelings about this have driven you to this level of submission. Are you saying if you've given someone your name, address and SSN to conduct a business transaction, that you should then also hand that and more (like your diary, photo albums, personal/private networks, and geolocation data) to companies like FB and Google? In a financial transaction the products are transaction services, loaned money, or purchased goods, the cost is a percentage of the transaction. To social networks, the product appears to be a facilitated communications platform, but in the end users pay by providing an in-depth profile of their emotions, life and mind for the purposes of targeted messaging & advertising. The product is you. How in the world is this comparable?

Point from above is that those that minimize their data privacy footprint will have the smallest pool of data to be drawn from and thus the least accurate data profiles available.

Which platform users have provided the most data points for profile building?

• The over the air TV user vs. DirectTV, Cable user?
  • The VPN internet user vs. Open Internet user?
  • The cash customer vs credit/debit customer?
  • The FaceBook user vs Internet Forums user?
Also remember, this isn't just about providing data, but it's also about carelessly using platforms like Facebook & Google that actively regurgitate targeted messages to you. Facebook is toxic because it creates complex psychographic profiles that the user doesn't know they're fully capable of making and then it uses those profiles to serve up ads that will be more effective than any in history at the precise time you are most available to receive them. The notion that people defend and submit to this model is proof of the efficacy of their marketing techniques.

Thankfully there are millions in the US and billions worldwide that don't think same thing about privacy. You can stop using these services. You can stop providing data hand-over-fist to miners and marketers. You can especially stop doing business with companies that rely on your private information as free raw materials provided by and defended by people that it exploits the most. That's why he refers to his own users the way he does.

why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #31
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
You are totally and completely missing my point. Everyone you have ever given your private info for, whether it be getting a credit card, a home loan, buying your car, getting a job, etc. Literally anything you need to fill out any type of application for has info on you that they will sell.

Do you have a cell phone? If you do you are already giving up your photo albums, personal/private networks, and geolocation data because a cell phone is a tracker you pay for, and they can listen in and see in with the microphone and camera. And why do you think what you talk about on your calls is private? You can buy a reciever that can listen in on most cell phone calls for dirt cheap.

There are multiple companies that do exactly what you say facebook does. They just buy their data from others. Your ip address is tracked every site you go. Your physical location is tracked by your phone, your car, and every time you use any other payment method besides cash. It is also tracked by everyone else's phone and every security camera everywhere. Many places now have microphones to record everything.

The fact you think anyone is defending anything is absurd. The reality of the situation is far worse than you are giving it credit for. You cannot withdraw completely from society, it is not possible unless you go live on a mountain and kill your own food and make your own clothes and literally never interact with society. Otherwise anything you can possibly think of doing will create data that will be sold. And every company out there sells everything they can, because it is extra money.

Facebook is literally just the tip of the iceberg. Without legislation making it illegal to sell people's personal info, privacy is dead.

I understood your point. It still doesn't justify using, espousing, or defending giving my data to companies like FB & Google. The point that you're missing isn't so much that private data is out there. It's about which companies use that data to create a product out of you. About what companies use you as a primary monetization source. I gave my private data to the big three credit agencies years ago. They don't use that info to make a psychological profile of me, my friends, family and business constituents to sell me stuff and ideas. Big difference between the cable company, the lumber yard, Ft86club, and companies like Facebook/Google.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #32
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I understood your point. It still doesn't justify using, espousing, or defending giving my data to companies like FB & Google. The point that you're missing isn't so much that private data is out there. It's about which companies use that data to create a product out of you. About what companies use you as a primary monetization source. I gave my private data to the big three credit agencies years ago. They don't use that info to make a psychological profile of me, my friends, family and business constituents to sell me stuff and ideas. Big difference between the cable company, the lumber yard, Ft86club, and companies like Facebook/Google.
I'm not defending anything. Every company on the planet uses your private data as a product now. They all sell every scrap they get their hands on. The credit agencies absolutely sell your data.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #33
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I'm not defending anything. Every company on the planet uses your private data as a product now. They all sell every scrap they get their hands on. The credit agencies absolutely sell your data.
No one is disputing that. You aren't seeing the difference between how FB/Google collect and use your private data and the way other companies do. Facebook's graph products are psychographic profiles of each user that include demographics as well as psychological profiles based off your minute by minute expression of ideas, geographic locations, system actions (and inactions), personal relationships, and photographs. This firehose of data is updated in near real time That data stream is considerably more invasive than a raw demographic data from a credit report or something like your grocery store loyalty card. Please try and understand the differences in the way Facebook's data is gathered and used, rather than other businesses that collect raw data and re-sell it. That is the crux of the problem and not just that business gather and resell.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #34
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithosphere View Post
I bought them:

Given that the Ikon Motorsports louvers are about a 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the TRD louvers, some of the parts are cheaply made:

The brackets (https://www.amazon.com/Double-Adhesi...ble+sided+tape) are small rectangles with a double sided tape holding it down - some of them came warped or bent. There are threaded posts sticking up from the brackets which are first threaded (sometimes very poorly) and painted black.

The supplied hardware - washers and acorn nuts - aren't exactly useful. The washers eventually rust after a week or so - even quicker after it's rained. The acorn nuts are nylon and don't exactly fit the threaded posts or eventually come loose.

The weather sealing strip that is provided works if everything else is perfect - which it isn't. It's very thin and only two rolls are provided - enough for about half of the louvers - to prevent vibration.

Having to buy the thicker weather stripping to eliminate all vibration at highway speeds and stainless washer and acorn nuts, isn't too bad.

The real flaw of these louvers is the brackets!

I'll need to find someone to make me some better brackets - ones that will cover a broader area. One large bracket across the top, one on each side, and one across the bottom would do it, instead of nine separate brackets.
Da fu? This guy buys these louvers and all anyone want to do is talk about FB. Props dude!! They look good!
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff86 For This Useful Post:
Mithosphere (09-12-2017), VIP BRZ (09-13-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #35
WRBrzRX

Drives: runs&drives
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
PSA:

Do NOT buy the Ikon louvers, all over the group buy thread they're showing pictures of cracks due to horribly thin design in 2 spots and OP is offering refunds. Additionally the hardware is garbage, everyone's looking to upgrade their threaded receivers and the tabs pop off of the window incredibly easy. They're sending half the amount of gasketing. Communication with OP and Ikon about this sucks, I've been dealing with them for months just to get my set.

The group buy is full of people offering links to better hardware and talking about how to fix the cracks.
WRBrzRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRBrzRX For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (09-25-2017), VIP BRZ (09-25-2017)