follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #183
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tptwrc View Post
I appreciate you posting that. It was def an interesting read. I happen to disagree with the author though. While none can argue that what the original definition of sports car was a 2 seat convertible, I believe, with all due respect to the author and the scca, that the definition has changed as well as the cars. In addition to crash regulation changes in th 70's there were lessons being learned on the racetrack. Someone along the way realized that a hardtop made the chassis much more rigid and therefore better suited to racing. For the record my definition of a "sports car" is a 2 door coupe WITH a permanently attached hardtop, rwd or awd, and with either a factory performance setup(high hp, stiff suspension, big brakes, etc) or a vehicle that has been manufactured in such a way as to easily lend itself to aftermarket high performance modification, eg: the twins.
That is the point. There is no real definition of what a "sports car" is. Each person defines it by their own standard and no big is wrong really. I totally disagree that being modifiable makes anything a sports car but it doesn't matter because there is no definition rule book that can be pointed at and say "see".
Debates on what constitutes rice, racercar, or sports car are just big pissing contests in the long run.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #184
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I appreciate you posting that. It was def an interesting read. I happen to disagree with the author though. While none can argue that what the original definition of sports car was a 2 seat convertible, I believe, with all due respect to the author and the scca, that the definition has changed as well as the cars. In addition to crash regulation changes in th 70's there were lessons being learned on the racetrack. Someone along the way realized that a hardtop made the chassis much more rigid and therefore better suited to racing. For the record my definition of a "sports car" is a 2 door coupe WITH a permanently attached hardtop, rwd or awd, and with either a factory performance setup(high hp, stiff suspension, big brakes, etc) or a vehicle that has been manufactured in such a way as to easily lend itself to aftermarket high performance modification, eg: the twins.
Tell us more about how a Rolls-Royce wraith is more sports car than Lotus Elise.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #185
tptwrc

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Tell us more about how a Rolls-Royce wraith is more sports car than Lotus Elise.
I'm glad you reminded me. I forgot weight. Although I don't have a clear cut weight limit in my definition, Im pretty sure 5000lbs exceeds it. Lol
tptwrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #186
fatoni

Quote:
I'm glad you reminded me. I forgot weight. Although I don't have a clear cut weight limit in my definition, Im pretty sure 5000lbs exceeds it. Lol
okay well then thanks for informing us on how the camaro is more sports car than the elise or how the rx8, miata, s2000, etc. are not sports cars while a tacoma is.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #187
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Debates on what constitutes rice, racercar, or sports car are just big pissing contests in the long run.
Name:  orange.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  23.2 KB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
JD001 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #188
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,182 Times in 3,471 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A "sports car" is in the eye of the beholder. In my world a "sports car" must be lithe, handle better than your average shopping trolley, its got to be a 2 door coupe or soft top however a convertible that was designed to be a soft top from the outset and the weight distribution that has been thought through.

And in my world a 2 or 4 sedan/saloon such as a Golf GTi or Focus RS are "hot hatches" not "sports cars".

When does a "sport car" become a "super car"? A hot hatch will never become a super car in my world but a "sports car" could creep into this domain.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #189
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
A "sports car" is in the eye of the beholder. In my world a "sports car" must be lithe, handle better than your average shopping trolley, its got to be a 2 door coupe or soft top however a convertible that was designed to be a soft top from the outset and the weight distribution that has been thought through.

And in my world a 2 or 4 sedan/saloon such as a Golf GTi or Focus RS are "hot hatches" not "sports cars".

When does a "sport car" become a "super car"? A hot hatch will never become a super car in my world but a "sports car" could creep into this domain.
rs200?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #190
JD001

Quote:
rs200?

RS200, 205T16, Audi Quattro Sport, MG Metro 6R4, Lancia Delta S4 were Group B rally cars made in very limited numbers to satisfy homologation requirements. I would badge them as such, Group B homologation limited run rally cars.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #191
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
RS200, 205T16, Audi Quattro Sport, MG Metro 6R4, Lancia Delta S4 were Group B rally cars made in very limited numbers to satisfy homologation requirements. I would badge them as such, Group B homologation limited run rally cars.
but that doesnt really mean its not a super car. right? its not like they are mutually exclusive.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #192
JD001

Quote:
but that doesnt really mean its not a super car. right? its not like they are mutually exclusive.

They were rally cars (racing cars) that had to be produced in small numbers to satisfy homologation requirements. The manufacturers had to make 200 however in some instances they didn't even mange that.. The cars were blips on the racing scene. The road versions were toned down versions of the actual rally cars.

Group B was banned and then attention focused on Group A, cars from Group A had a lot more in common with what you and I could buy. Cars such as the Lancia Delta Integrale. We also had the Touring Car Championship supporting cars such BMW M3 (E30) and the Sierra Cosworth which were made in greater numbers to satisfy homologation requirements.

A real potpourri of car types and mixes that really blur the edges of what is a race car, sports car or a super car but hey I just enjoy them for what they are, interesting machines that brighten up my day when I see one on the road.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #193
tptwrc

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
okay well then thanks for informing us on how the camaro is more sports car than the elise or how the rx8, miata, s2000, etc. are not sports cars while a tacoma is.
You obviously don't spend much time at the race track. Tacoma? Im over this lol
tptwrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #194
fatoni

Quote:
You obviously don't spend much time at the race track. Tacoma? Im over this lol
its your criteria. not mine. if youre over your own thought process, change it.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #195
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's one way to look at it. Wrong. But it's one way.

As many have said, the definition of what a sports car is can be up for debate. A Boxster Spyder doesn't meet your definition but if you seriously think that the twins are more of a sports car than the Boxster Spyder then your fanboism level is off the charts.

Personally, I'd prefer to just skip the definition all together and settle it at the track.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
fatoni (08-01-2017), Tcoat (07-31-2017), why? (08-02-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 04:47 PM   #196
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I never said "sporty." I said sports car. Lol...You know what man, you win. I concede. Hondas are great "sports cars!" Repeat that mantra as you're driving one and maybe it'll be true. 👍
I skimmed through this thread and there was no mention of any FWD Honda being called a sports car.

Regardless of what you, I, or anyone else thinks though when it comes to defining a sports car, a Honda has as much capability to be fast as our FR-S and BRZ.

I mean there is a certain trim of Honda Civic that ran a 7:43 on the Nürburgring, faster than most cars that you could put as examples of your definition of sports car, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote