follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Deeper closer steering wheel

I want a steering wheel that looks OEM-ish and retains the OEM airbag but relocates the rim of the wheel closer to me, preferably by about an inch. None of the product pages for aftermarket wheels seem to provide any info on how deep the wheel is. I would also prefer not to see any carbon fiber trim on it. Does anybody know of a wheel that meets these criteria?

Yes, I searched. There's a lot of noise on the board around steering wheels, and I didn't find what I was looking for. I also Googled and searched reviews on YouTube. It seems like the goal for many of the aftermarket steering wheels is to make them as douchey as possible without any consideration for steering position.

To be clear, I'm not interested in steering spacers or wheels that don't use the airbag.

Suggestions?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Nothing like this exists to my knowledge. I've been looking since I first bought the car in 2013...

Even the most "subtle" options include non-removable carbon fiber, which, frankly, is tacky as hell.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
If you ever find one let me know. I ended up getting a Sparco wheel and getting rid of the airbag. The suede wheel is awesome but I would have loved to be able to keep the airbag and just have the wheel a bit closer.
If you end up getting an aftermarket setup get the quick release to move the wheel a bit closer and get something with a nice deep dish. The steering wheel adjustment in this car is not very friendly if you have the seat all the way scooted back.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
Nothing like this exists to my knowledge. I've been looking since I first bought the car in 2013...

Even the most "subtle" options include non-removable carbon fiber, which, frankly, is tacky as hell.
What got me started looking this morning is a post in the classified section for a very nice ATC steering wheel that is deeper than stock but has carbon fiber accents. I can't seem to located an ATC wheel that doesn't have that stupid carbon fiber.

I did find a KEY!S steering wheel that would be almost perfect except for the exceedingly douchey print emblazoned across the top. There's no way I'm putting that in my car.

So back I go to the search. I may end up buying one of these carbon fiber wheels and having a local upholstery shop cover the douchey bits in leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbobbinhood View Post
If you end up getting an aftermarket setup get the quick release to move the wheel a bit closer and get something with a nice deep dish.
That's just it, I want to keep an OEM-ish look and retain the airbag. If I didn't mind losing the airbag, I would have plenty of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbobbinhood View Post
The steering wheel adjustment in this car is not very friendly if you have the seat all the way scooted back.
I think this car was designed around a Japanese body. Of course not all Japanese people are built the same way, but years ago when I trained in Japanese martial arts most of our Japanese members had average length torsos and arms but shorter legs (by American standards). With that kind of build, you'd fit in this car almost perfectly by scooting the seat up. If you have longer legs on the same kind of torso, sliding the seat back to fit your legs puts the steering wheel out of reach.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,619 Times in 18,982 Posts
Mentioned: 1109 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I've been halfheartedly scheming for a way to modify the telescoping column since I've owned mine. I'd love to extend it another 4-6 inches safely.

Yes, I understand all the ramifications. Sure would be nice, though.

Bring on the penis jokes.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
that would be almost perfect except for the exceedingly douchey print emblazoned across the top.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Koa (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
There are also three other wheels by using same base as Key!s, J Luth ones. #1, #2, #3
Last one seems least ricey. Ideally i'd have Key's silvery plastic bits + black wheel from last url, as carbon looks also scream rice, but there seems to be no such customizing option.
These four are only ones i know to be 20mm closer to driver & still allowing to use stock airbag. No "spacer" AFAIK exists. And probably these won't do for MY2017 due not letting reuse steering wheel controls on those.
Hmm, except getting steering wheel closer there is also option of lowering seat base (some velding/cutting seat cushion involved). That should allow put seat's back more straight, lessening need to move seat too much front to reach steering wheel close enough.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,203 Times in 3,483 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Something like this but with an airbag?

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Drambeenie (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
sdemo

Garage
I'm looking into this to move the seat further back without sacrificing wheel position. What a dream that seems to be... my only nagging issue with the car.

To a previous point, my vietnamese friend with a BRZ has the seat far enough up that he doesn't even use the console armrest.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
(some velding/cutting seat cushion involved).
Velding!
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VIP BRZ For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-20-2017), extrashaky (05-19-2017), Ultramaroon (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117897

This one sold but there's a link to buy new.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
sdemo

Garage
^ non removable carbon fiber
Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
extrashaky

I feel silly typing KEY!S. From now on I'm just going to call it Keys instead. Stupid Japanese misuse of English punctuation.

Quote:
There are also three other wheels by using same base as Key!s, J Luth ones. #1, #2, #3...
These four are only ones i know to be 20mm closer to driver & still allowing to use stock airbag.
The ATC wheels appear to also use the exact same frame, and in fact I found a write up about the Keys wheel that said it was developed with ATC. It looks like it might just be an ATC wheel with a difference cover and different plastic bits.

Quote:
Ideally i'd have Key's silvery plastic bits + black wheel from last url, as carbon looks also scream rice, but there seems to be no such customizing option.
This has me wondering how difficult it would be to remove the plastic parts from these wheels. I wonder if I could get an ATC wheel and a Keys wheel and swap the carbon for the silver plastic, which looks like it would match my trim. Then I could put the Keys wheel on the member classified board as a Super One-of-a-Kind Custom Steering Wheel to recoup some of my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117897

This one sold but there's a link to buy new.
That's the one that started me looking for a new wheel, because it was almost what I wanted but with douchey carbon fiber. You'll notice I actually posted in that thread to ask what he used to replace it, since I was hoping maybe he had found another less douchey alternative.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
extrashaky: Hmm. I checked up right now on ATC wheels just after writing that post. It seems that J-Luth & ATC Sport wheels are 1:1. Same three wheels of same three finish types. All with carbon inserts, one with carbon top, one all black leather, one black with red leather on top. Prior finding out about ATC-s, it seemed that J Luth was original source.
Anyway, what i'm thinking of right now, is getting all-black leather one by J Luth or ATC & wrap those inserts into something less ricy. Or painting. Wrapping might not hold well for long for something that is touched with hands all the time, no?
There is also alternative getting Key!s & rewrap wheel, not inserts, with some normal leather or alike.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote