follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
My dampener has a little suction cup platform on the side of the sink so it can dry between uses. It has good fitment.
FIFY per current automotive lingo.
gramicci101 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The shock controls how quickly your spring can be compressed and extend back. The more damping you have the slower the springs can be compressed or re-extend. however, the setting of the damping should not make a difference in your ride height.

If you had no damping to control the spring the spring will pogo. You want to set you damping where it can compress fast enough to absorb the bumps but slow enough that you're not bottoming out. That's as about as simple as I can explain it.

Easy way to make your adjustments is to set it at the middle setting to start. drive it around to get a feel for it. If it's too firm for you, back out the adjuster 2 clicks. Too soft? Firmer two clicks. Do this until you're happy with the setting, then you're you're good to go.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #17
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentai View Post
My goal for having these coilovers is mostly for daily driving/ and occasional track-spirited driving.
For any given spring rate there is basically a small range of more or less ideal damper rates. The problem in most coilovers is that 1, bad ones aren't digressive enough to ever be correct, and 2, the quality control is usually not good enough so that you never know what any one damper is at and you don't really know what the adjustment clicks are doing unless you throw the shock on a shock dyno.

Quote:
I also don't want to rub my fenders, I set it too a height same as my springs I had before. Sorry for all these extra details, my main question is, if I max out my dampening to either HARD or all the way to SOFT. Will the suspension drop the car more if its hard? or when its soft?
no.

Quote:
Is it BAD to ride full on HARD (sounds wrong LOL) or SOFT? Will it put any more stress on my suspension?
full hard will put on alot of stress on your suspension and bushings and be terrible for comfort and for traction. Full soft won't control the springs and will cause you to pogo and be terrible for comfort and for traction.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totopo For This Useful Post:
Hentai (12-09-2016), Mim (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norville Rogers View Post
Was he trying to say it fits well?
It sits flush with the wall of the sink.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #19
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,639 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Dampening, that's how I would have said it.

I find with my coilovers that setting at the lowest setting (full open of valve), the ride is as good as, if not slightly better than stock. But not as quiet on speed bumps. And this is with much harder springs.

The ride doesnt get harder or softer per se with increased dampening, just less cushy as a result of the spring stopping faster after each rebound.

Actually if the drag from the damper can be set high enough it would resist spring reaction to impact, making springs feel harder.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote