follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2016, 01:38 AM   #7631
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had what seems like the same issue. It was an issue with the tune. Instead of 0.2 g/rev it was 2.0 g/rev on the axis. Caused it to trip out.
This was a base tune given by Sprintex
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COO86L For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #7632
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DI ECU well grounded?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #7633
kev60625

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, so I am in talks with someone and most likely will end up buying this kit. I've been reading up on this thread and ALL I'm seeing is RPM hesitation issues and some belt issues as well. For those who own this or are more familiar with it, is this kit honestly worth it? If i get it, I plan on getting a protune from a really good tuner, so the tune won't be an issue at all. I'd also get it installed by a good shop.

What do you guys think? I'd honestly not want to deal with all these issues even if I'm buying the kit used and not paying full price.
kev60625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #7634
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev60625 View Post
Hey guys, so I am in talks with someone and most likely will end up buying this kit. I've been reading up on this thread and ALL I'm seeing is RPM hesitation issues and some belt issues as well. For those who own this or are more familiar with it, is this kit honestly worth it? If i get it, I plan on getting a protune from a really good tuner, so the tune won't be an issue at all. I'd also get it installed by a good shop.

What do you guys think? I'd honestly not want to deal with all these issues even if I'm buying the kit used and not paying full price.
I bought the Sprintex 210+ or SPS kit. It was amazing!! I had the hesitation issue but it was in the tune. I actually found where and corrected it.
I then had it tuned by Delicious Tuning in aussie 98 RON and E85. Completely different to the first tune my God.

As to belt issues, I never ever had that issue. I used to flat foot shift and launch control take off's all over the place. Never slipped or missed a beat. Mine came standard with the 69mm pulley and had a smaller belt.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:38 AM   #7635
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
DI ECU well grounded?
It's worth a shot to check -- Is the DI ECU the ECU that has 3 bolts holding it onto the fuel rail protection bracket on the passenger side of car?

Is it technically grounded with the screws themselves?

Thanks!
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:21 AM   #7636
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Used for $3000 like I paid for the intercooled version I would say yes it's worth it, otherwise I'd get the Edlebrock instead. My belt issues have only been with squeaky noises, not performance. Hesitation issues are almost always tune related. These units are a little harder to tune as they don't come with post charge intake temperatures.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:25 AM   #7637
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
It's worth a shot to check -- Is the DI ECU the ECU that has 3 bolts holding it onto the fuel rail protection bracket on the passenger side of car?

Is it technically grounded with the screws themselves?

Thanks!
The lower of the 3 is the grounding connection, it bolts directly to a bar on the engine block.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #7638
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Do it. Save your money and don't buy the intercooler, unless you plan on spending time at the autocross or doing multiple pulls without cooldown.
I'm running the 69mm high boost pulley without one right now with no problems (on a conservative tune [that is still fast as shit] from Delicious Tuning). Pulled a little faster than a corvette the other day after some alcohol injections. Don't know corvettes too well, but I'm pretty sure this one was NA.

I'd definitely recommend Delicious Tuning as your tuner. Outstanding shit.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #7639
mert34

Drives: 16 Brz.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hey guys, i got a new receseng 72.5mm pulley if anyone is interested shoot me a message.
mert34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mert34 For This Useful Post:
brybot (11-21-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #7640
PitViper

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Limited Edition
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Do it. Save your money and don't buy the intercooler, unless you plan on spending time at the autocross or doing multiple pulls without cooldown.
I'm running the 69mm high boost pulley without one right now with no problems (on a conservative tune [that is still fast as shit] from Delicious Tuning). Pulled a little faster than a corvette the other day after some alcohol injections. Don't know corvettes too well, but I'm pretty sure this one was NA.

I'd definitely recommend Delicious Tuning as your tuner. Outstanding shit.
I'm running the same setup. Can confirm it is amazing. But here is what I learned from ownership.

If you're planning on running the supercharger with no cooling, expect a lot of power loss in hot weather or traffic from heat soak. You can run a smaller pulley, the intercooler, or meth injection like @riboyster and I, to help. I'd evaluate your driving style and environment before you pick out your cooling methods, if any. Also, I'd recommend some kind of weight reduction to the rotating mass of the motor. Light weight flywheel and pulleys will help reduce drivetrain stress from the added weight of the supercharger. Its not needed, but you can feel the difference.
There will also be more heat in the engine bay, so in a hot environment or tracking, you'll want a vented hood so you don't blow a coil pack.

And if you're running a oil return or oil catch can, you'll want to run a vent to atmosphere catch can to prevent oil from being sucked into the intake under high vacuum (more needed with the 69mm pulley.)

You'll want to get it tuned, as mentioned. If you're in the North West, @VitViper (vit tuned) would be my reccomendation.

Other parts to look into:
-cold air intake (I run the perrin Big MAF)
-header (I'm soon to be running the tomei EL)
-oil catch can

Other then that, welcome to the club! (Or soon to be... Hopefully)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PitViper For This Useful Post:
riboyster (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #7641
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
PM me if anyone wants to purchase a lightly used 335 kit.
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #7642
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The lower of the 3 is the grounding connection, it bolts directly to a bar on the engine block.
Now that is interesting.... I specifically remember that I hand-tightened that bottom bolt since it was challenging to get to. I'll get under there and snug it up.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #7643
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
-cold air intake (I run the perrin Big MAF)
-header (I'm soon to be running the tomei EL)
-oil catch can
Any of the two Perrin intakes will greatly help WOT heat soak by getting rid of that giant black box/filter heatsoak. I'm running the Perrin Small MAF, and the difference is noticeable with this one as well.

Definitely want to get a catless bunch of headers if you haven't already. Less back pressure and better performance from an aftermarket build. I'm running UELs because I like the sound more, but PitViper is making more power because of the ELs.

As far as catch can; you can buy just the can online for decently cheap, and fill it with your own concoction (I use copper scrubber pads because apparently they're a good filter AND catalyst for the gasoline and oil vapors). It will save you a bunch of money just doing it yourself.
PitViper (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #7644
riboyster

Does anyone know if there's a billet aluminum 69mm pulley? I can definitely feel the mass difference between steel 69 and raceseng 72.5.

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.