follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #71
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
HCI ROKU!
I see you don't have your speed displayed, probably a wise decision.
Can this cam display acceleration value in X, Y and Z axis?
You can enter in your license plate number - HCIROKU is mine. Speed/location is only displayed if you add the GPS sensor - I chose not to buy one with it. Here's the one with the GPS sensor included - there's a socket that it plugs into on the side of the camera.
https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Dashbo...rds=rexing+gps

The G-sensor is only to sense shocks to the unit (in case of an impact) which will lock the file (they won't be automatically written over).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Also, from the description on amazon:
"*NEW* Upgraded car charger that have a extra USB power outlet"

Does this mean that you can have other device plugged into the same outlet while the camera is plugged in? Would you mind posting a picture how it looks?
Yes - at the back of the plug is a little cap which pivots away to expose a USB plug. The pic shows it plugged into the glove compartment socket.

After reviewing video footage from this morning, my wife just ordered one today for our other car - same setup.
Attached Images

shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
mdm (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #72
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I re-read it now, and previously I missed the USB part. I thought you could plug in another standard 12v car plug into the camera's plug. For example, one with a dual USB charger. I m not sure if it even possible.

But a USB outlet isn't too bad either, as long as it provides enough juice to charge a phone quickly. I guess one can also just hardwire the cam.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #73
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Yeah, I have a cart full of stuff on Amazon right now and I am going back in there and researching which one to buy before making the order.
Front and back one just in case the idiot comes up from behind too.
Racer X, glad to hear you made it out alive….on the mend, and insurance should take care of the large majority of your medical bills / pain + suffering / missed work $ / and getting you a new/newer car soon.

The front dash cam is the main one to get. If someone rear-ends you, regardless it's their fault (not the person getting rear ended).
Adam_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #74
Racer-X

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Racer X, glad to hear you made it out alive….on the mend, and insurance should take care of the large majority of your medical bills / pain + suffering / missed work $ / and getting you a new/newer car soon.
I've picked up a new 2016 FR-S in Oceanic; while not my first choice of color, I couldn't find another new Hot Lava and the new ones haven't hit my area yet.

Overall, I would say the insurance payout for the car and pain/suffering were very fair.

I've already put the camera from my wrecked car into the new one. It felt naked without it.
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:
shiumai (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #75
michaelxchristopher

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S | Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I watched this twice and literally followed through and bought the same camera off Amazon. Sorry about the car friend.
michaelxchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #76
Stratoside

Drives: Firestorm red MT FR-S 2013
this happened to me earlier this year, the other driver T-boned me when I had green

but I was not hurt, and the other car was a suv
i'm surprised you got hurt, did you not have seat belt on?
i also got hit on the passenger side as well
Stratoside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #77
Racer-X

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Yes I was belted in. I'm not sure what I hit to fracture the ribs, maybe it was the center console.
Racer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #78
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratoside View Post
i'm surprised you got hurt
Why are you surprised? Obviously, there is plenty of factors beyond seat belts which determine whether someone was hurt or not. Primarily, speed of the collision, relative masses of colliding vehicles, exact location and angle of collision, etc.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #79
Stratoside

Drives: Firestorm red MT FR-S 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
Yes I was belted in. I'm not sure what I hit to fracture the ribs, maybe it was the center console.

driver side air bag didn't deploy for me at all
Stratoside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #80
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Finally ordered my dashcam and installed it today because of this thread. Thanks @Racer-X
I ended up ordering this one: https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Dashbo...4086197&sr=8-1
Shiumai,

I saw that the product details on Amazon said operating temp: 10F to 140F. Do you pull your camera down when your car is parked outside all day?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #81
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Shiumai,

I saw that the product details on Amazon said operating temp: 10F to 140F. Do you pull your camera down when your car is parked outside all day?
i'd hide the camera not from the heat but from others...if some prick sees the camera they will definitely try to steal it..keep it out of sight out of mind
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #82
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
i'd hide the camera not from the heat but from others...if some prick sees the camera they will definitely try to steal it..keep it out of sight out of mind
If the Camera is near the head liner or infront of the review mirror, its actually pretty difficult to spot. You have to really be looking. And in which case, many new cars have similar looking devices (Subaru's "Eyesight" is one that comes to mind).

Also, as a camera, many times that alone is a deterrent from people wanting to steal it. I haven't seen many if any dash cams being stolen..

On the other hand, if you are using a gopro or so other major name brand action camera and it's easily visible, I can see that getting stolen.

My dash cam stays in my car 24/7, I am not worried about it being the reason someone wants to break into my car.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #83
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imrac View Post
If the Camera is near the head liner or infront of the review mirror, its actually pretty difficult to spot. You have to really be looking. And in which case, many new cars have similar looking devices (Subaru's "Eyesight" is one that comes to mind).

Also, as a camera, many times that alone is a deterrent from people wanting to steal it. I haven't seen many if any dash cams being stolen..

On the other hand, if you are using a gopro or so other major name brand action camera and it's easily visible, I can see that getting stolen.

My dash cam stays in my car 24/7, I am not worried about it being the reason someone wants to break into my car.
depends on the area/neighborhood if you think it's safe to leave your belongings out in the open of your car

my dash cam has a chrome bezel around the lens which definitely attracts attention

honestly, i don't see how a dash cam will deter someone from stealing it..they steal it then wipe the footage of themselves stealing it if they happened to be caught on camera
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #84
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post