follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone gone from an EVO X to a BRZ? (EVO X vs BRZ)

I'm only asking because I'm thinking of going from a BRZ to an EVO, my first car was an 04 Accord K24 (pretty slow) my second car is my current car, this BRZ. I'm familiar with the WRX's and STI's I have friends who have them, but IDK I really fell in love with the EVO X, but I know nothing about them. Obviously they are two different cars but does anyone have any stories of coming from an EVO to a BRZ or vice versa? I don't think I'll sell my BRZ for one but I know someday down the line I will have an EVO, so thanks.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
I'm only asking because I'm thinking of going from a BRZ to an EVO, my first car was an 04 Accord K24 (pretty slow) my second car is my current car, this BRZ. I'm familiar with the WRX's and STI's I have friends who have them, but IDK I really fell in love with the EVO X, but I know nothing about them. Obviously they are two different cars but does anyone have any stories of coming from an EVO to a BRZ or vice versa? I don't think I'll sell my BRZ for one but I know someday down the line I will have an EVO, so thanks.
It's not an EVO to BRZ story, but I think it's still pretty close to home. A friend of mine went from an EVO to an S2000, and he has not regretted it one bit. He loves the 'feel' of driving and speed, and his one major gripe with the EVO was that you just didn't get that feeling with it, and I have to agree. Having driven his EVO, it was certainly fast, but there was a certain disconnect between car and driver.

If you're a raw power / grip diver, and you don't really care about much else, then you will love the EVO. You will definitely not get that fun, nimbly, and connected feedback though as you would with the 86 platform and an S2000.

The EVO was on my list of potential buys last year when I was searching for a new car, but I ended up buying an FR-S, because awesome
raven1231 (07-27-2016), Slade (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ LTD CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
My wife drives an STi and I have a BRZ (again). Two totally different worlds and driving experiences. You can push a BRZ closer to it's limit than you would and EVO/STi. A BRZ (generally) is not going to spit you off the asphalt into a tree. The difference in power of course is substantial, difference in handling, difference in grip, difference in driving experience. Everything really. A BRZ to me, is just more fun to drive, it's a better driving experience.

Before I just picked up my BRZ I was looking for something to jump from my Outback to. The local dealer got an EVO MR and I thought that was it. Boy was I wrong. From the outside, they look really cool. The interior though is so inferior to what Subaru provides it's not even funny. Especially compared to my wifes 2017 STi. The drive was fun, but I couldn't justify all that money on something that didn't fulfill everything I wanted.

Also - watch the insurance. I shopped 2014 Cayman, M3, Panamera V6, Panamera V8, 2014 EVO MR and the 2016 BRZ. Interestingly, the Cayman was the cheapest, followed by the BRZ. The EVO was more expensive, about 200 more a year than the Panamera V8...Something worth considering. If you're considering an EVO X, I would strongly, strongly recommend looking at a 2017 STi/STi LTD.
Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Clean For This Useful Post:
Slade (07-27-2016), [YOYO] (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Thanks for the replies, when I'm in a position to buy another car I should definitely test drive one. My feelings towards the EVO are strictly based on cosmetic and specs, I've never sat in one let alone drive it. Thanks again guys.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slade For This Useful Post:
[YOYO] (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Alien Visitor

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
I went from an Evo X to a BRZ. The X was way more practical, but the BRZ is more enjoyable. If there's anything in particular that you're curious about, let me know.
Alien Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [YOYO] View Post
It's not an EVO to BRZ story, but I think it's still pretty close to home. A friend of mine went from an EVO to an S2000, and he has not regretted it one bit. He loves the 'feel' of driving and speed, and his one major gripe with the EVO was that you just didn't get that feeling with it, and I have to agree. Having driven his EVO, it was certainly fast, but there was a certain disconnect between car and driver.

If you're a raw power / grip diver, and you don't really care about much else, then you will love the EVO. You will definitely not get that fun, nimbly, and connected feedback though as you would with the 86 platform and an S2000.

The EVO was on my list of potential buys last year when I was searching for a new car, but I ended up buying an FR-S, because awesome
This exactly. I came from an evo 8 to the FRS. Now I own a wrx and while I love the car I miss the FRS often.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
[YOYO] (07-27-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
FRS to Evo X MR back to a BRZ. Only thing you may miss is the power.
Evo was a very impractical car. There's another thread similar to this where I posted my experience, however I'll list a few:

Driving feeling is numb
Interior quality aside from the wheel, seats and shifter is crap
Tiny gas tank + poor mpg is really annoying
Smaller trunk than twins and no fold down seats
Eats consumables
Takes a lot of money to get more power from the Evo

I miss the power, but a turbo or super charged twin is sooo much more fun.
From what I've experienced it's more similar to an RX7.
(Which I had for a couple years) I'm holding out on boosting my brz until I can do it right!
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
scmil95eg

Drives: '95 delSol, '13 EvoX, '14 Leaf
Completely different cars, driving styles, cost of admission, cost of maintenance...

When I worked for HKS I would quite often hop out of the FR-S (320 whp) and into my X (380 awhp) and these two cars are just too different for me to begin to accurately compare.

S&S: The FR-S reminds me of a tossable toy. Basic. Raw. No frills.
The X feels more substantial/serious. Bigger. Heavier. Planted. Faster.
scmil95eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
imovertheinternet

Drives: 10 Series
I actually sold my brz for an EVO X and just sold the evo for a 10 series last week:

Had a cobbs stage 3 package, lowered, blah blah.

I agree a lot with what @GTHachiRoku said, EG:
1. Its impractical, althought its a large 4 door i cant even put the rear seats down cause the battery is back in the trunk for weight distribution...
2. The car does feel a bit "numb" in the sense that when I turn/shift in the BRZ it feels like a little racecar. The evo doesnt. Theres body roll, its huge, shifting is blah but I could take any corner in that evo and it would just work. Didnt feel like it should work, but it always magically did lol.
3. Gets half the MPG the 10 series does.
4. Interior is bad
5. Maintenance isnt cheap
6. insurance was twice as much as my frs

I know it sounds like im kind of dogging on the evo but it wasnt all bad, its nice to have 4 doors, have shit load of torque, AWD, SSS package, it was a good car. However, were we want to be at financially I told myself I need to make a sacrifice and without hesitation I cut the evo. Will I ever buy another one? Nah, Id rather boost the FRS and buy another daily, but with that said Im not upset I bought the evo.

imovertheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imovertheinternet For This Useful Post:
FR-Sky (03-26-2017), raven1231 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imovertheinternet View Post
I actually sold my brz for an EVO X and just sold the evo for a 10 series last week:

Had a cobbs stage 3 package, lowered, blah blah.

I agree a lot with what @GTHachiRoku said, EG:
1. Its impractical, althought its a large 4 door i cant even put the rear seats down cause the battery is back in the trunk for weight distribution...
2. The car does feel a bit "numb" in the sense that when I turn/shift in the BRZ it feels like a little racecar. The evo doesnt. Theres body roll, its huge, shifting is blah but I could take any corner in that evo and it would just work. Didnt feel like it should work, but it always magically did lol.
3. Gets half the MPG the 10 series does.
4. Interior is bad
5. Maintenance isnt cheap
6. insurance was twice as much as my frs

I know it sounds like im kind of dogging on the evo but it wasnt all bad, its nice to have 4 doors, have shit load of torque, AWD, SSS package, it was a good car. However, were we want to be at financially I told myself I need to make a sacrifice and without hesitation I cut the evo. Will I ever buy another one? Nah, Id rather boost the FRS and buy another daily, but with that said Im not upset I bought the evo.

Ha ha And I went EVO 8->FR-S->WRX->(now getting back into a BRZ).

The WRX is essentially the same as the EVO in regard to the draw backs and advantages...
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
imovertheinternet (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #11
imovertheinternet

Drives: 10 Series
ha, thats awesome. Its hard to beat the all around package you get with these cars for the price.
imovertheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imovertheinternet For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-01-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
will300

Drives: Subaru BRZ SE Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmil95eg View Post
Completely different cars, driving styles, cost of admission, cost of maintenance...

When I worked for HKS I would quite often hop out of the FR-S (320 whp) and into my X (380 awhp) and these two cars are just too different for me to begin to accurately compare.

S&S: The FR-S reminds me of a tossable toy. Basic. Raw. No frills.
The X feels more substantial/serious. Bigger. Heavier. Planted. Faster.
This is a fairly accurate description, they are completely different cars. I had an Evo X before my BRZ and I loved it too bits, as a point to point car nothing would come close. Even in poor weather conditions nothing seemed to challenge it except snow, all though that could have been my driving.

The keys things the Evo excels at over the BRZ is the power, brakes and the bucket seats.

However the Evo isn't even close to the BRZ for drive dynamics and feel, he'll no other car I've driven feels as good. Would I buy another Evo X maybe, would I buy another BRZ definitely and I'm on my second BRZ.

Depend on what you need out of a car, if you have no need for practicality keep the BRZ and go FI.

Here a picture of my X, mine's the blue one.

will300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to will300 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-28-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
tofurun

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I'll say this. I have been working on a 15 Sti for the past few months. Beyond aggravating and annoying to work on! Zero space! Just getting the turbo inlet pipe changed is an all day job trying to get the manifold off... It sucks. If ur one who enjoys working on your brz don't try working on an Sti or evo. Just a head ups the brz is the simplest and easier car I have ever worked on.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
scmil95eg

Drives: '95 delSol, '13 EvoX, '14 Leaf

HKS 8262 turbo
HKS R-Type I/C kit
HKS SSQV IV BOV
HKS Racing Suction intake
HKS GT Extension (DP)
Custom test pipe
HKS Hi-Power exhaust
HKS EVC VI boost controller
HKS turbo timer
HKS DMR
HKS OB-Link
ID1000 injectors
DW 65c fuel pump
HKS Hipermax IV GT suspension
Advan RS-D 18 x 9.5 +25
Advan Neova AD08R 255/40-18
Tuned by Rob at Kaizen Tuning (93 oct.)

378hp@7300
360ft/lb@4000

Daily driven for 56,000+ miles so far

Last edited by scmil95eg; 08-03-2016 at 01:26 PM.
scmil95eg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scmil95eg For This Useful Post:
Anderzz (08-03-2016)