follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #57
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
That's exactly what has happened they're too lazy to finish the diagnosis
Those are my beliefs exactly. I was told by a service advisor who did the initial diagnosis they hadn't seen anything like this before but they were receiving readouts of "0" and then he asked if I had ever tuned or flashed the car to which I staunchly denied. The next day, his boss, the service manager asks me for a history of the car and then tells me I'm dishonest because he's found a tune for COBB, which he later redacted and said he was inaccurate and upon speaking with a SoA technician about the readings, it was a 2015 BRZ profile and that the calibration ID/numbers were off which is why he still claims the car was "tuned/flashed". It sounds like they were unsure of what it could be and the easy guaranteed fix would be a new ECU, but because we are unsure why the ECU is spitting out "0's" how about we act like it's the customer's fault and see if he'll own up to this. I know, call me the most paranoid and ridiculous person but I doubt anyone tuned or flashed the car with only 193 miles on it when I picked it.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:10 AM   #58
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would heed Wayno's advice from your duplicate post in the Software Tuning sub and check the battery for a mild voltage drop with a multimeter. The batteries on these cars are by no means bulletproof and it's hard to know how long the tint shop were working before they finally disconnected the battery. Even slight drain on the battery is enough to cause hard and no start issues on this car. Further, these are not maintenance-free batteries and while your car is a 2016, its possible that you have an electrolyte imbalance due to a port/dealer prep error. If you don't have a multimeter, or don't feel comfortable checking the battery, get a known good battery from a friend's car and plop it in to see what happens.
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theadmiral976 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-27-2016), Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #59
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
I would heed Wayno's advice from your duplicate post in the Software Tuning sub and check the battery for a mild voltage drop with a multimeter. The batteries on these cars are by no means bulletproof and it's hard to know how long the tint shop were working before they finally disconnected the battery. Even slight drain on the battery is enough to cause hard and no start issues on this car. Further, these are not maintenance-free batteries and while your car is a 2016, its possible that you have an electrolyte imbalance due to a port/dealer prep error. If you don't have a multimeter, or don't feel comfortable checking the battery, get a known good battery from a friend's car and plop it in to see what happens.
I will definitely give that a try! Whenever the car comes in my possession again of course. Thank you so much for the advice.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #60
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
I will definitely give that a try! Whenever the car comes in my possession again of course. Thank you so much for the advice.

Our batteries suck ass, the BR-Zs specifically have more instances of there batteries becoming useless at the 4 year mark due to there accessories while the car sit vs the FR-S. It's worth the upgrade to an optima red top, the CCAs will be almost double the stock battery.

Also if subaru sits on there ass, I suggest going to an independent tuning shop or someone with an OFT to actually read your cal id and see what's up
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 AM   #61
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
I would get the dealer to state exactly what they reckon happen to the ECU.

Get them to specifiy the CALID of the ECU software they found and the calid of the ecu software they recon should be in the ECU. the ECU software sometimes changes mid model due updates.

for MY2015/16 cars their was at least ZA1ZF00C and ZA1JF40C and if it was rearly early 2015 it might have even been ZA1JD00C.

And get them to specificly state how they determined that the ecu was flashed/tuned. and what they reckon the tune or calid is.

Ask them to put it in writing, often the service manager is a "manager" and knows little technical about cars, the Technicians tell them stuff they dont inderstand and then they try to explain it to you.

Maybe they just got confused as to the correct calid for your car.

If they can actually talk to the ecu and request the calid and get diagnostics from its then its almost certain that their is NOTHING wrong with the ecu.

but try a new battery first.

all those counters/timers in the ecu get reset to 0 if you have a flat battery, i know this 100%. This may make the dealer think its been flashed or reset as same thing happen on flash/reset with those internal counters.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Braces (06-27-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-27-2016), Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016), SK86 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:41 AM   #62
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
In any case I wouldn't like to be in such a situation. I hope this guy to find a solution quickly ...
yes unfortunaly dealers often speak BS and hope the person just wears it

Im sure they have lots of problems with tunes going bad, but they need to get their facts straight.

This case rearly looks like BS and the dealer thinks the ecu is bad when all it is is a electrical issue or a flat battery.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-27-2016), Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016), nikitopo (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 AM   #63
Jordan Silveira

@steve99 As always I appreciate your very helpful advice. I unfortunately have to take a train (instead of the wonderful vehicle we all get to drive) to San Diego for work until Wednesday evening. By that time I anticipate SoA will have made a decision on the warranty work. Nonetheless, I will definitely be using your questioning as a script for when the final verdict comes in. Even though the service manager already has tried to dismiss a battery issue I will keep pressing. Thank you again Steve! Your input is very much appreciated!
Old 06-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #64
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Lol, what if they just drained the battery during tint because of an interior light or something staying on? Jfc.... what a mess.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #65
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Subscribed. Can't wait to hear the end of the story.
Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #66
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Lol, what if they just drained the battery during tint because of an interior light or something staying on? Jfc.... what a mess.
This all day long.

Didn't realize there were two threads going on for this.

My comment from the other thread:

At no point in this saga have I seen any indication that the battery power was checked. The car is known to have sat for hours (if not a whole day) with the doors open which means lights were on.

"The vehicle had full electricity from alarms, stereo, lights, etc. However, the engine would not turn over (crank)." Has low battery written all over it.

Car won't start? Step one, check battery power.

All the ECU statements are red herrings. The ECU being a problem would not prevent the car from turning over.

The conspiracy theories are hilarious however!
Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016), Romanov (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #67
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This all day long.

Didn't realize there were two threads going on for this.

My comment from the other thread:

At no point in this saga have I seen any indication that the battery power was checked. The car is known to have sat for hours (if not a whole day) with the doors open which means lights were on.

"The vehicle had full electricity from alarms, stereo, lights, etc. However, the engine would not turn over (crank)." Has low battery written all over it.

All the ECU statements are red herrings. The ECU being a problem would not prevent the car from turning over.

He said the tow truck driver tried to jump it. I just would like to hear this guy has a car to drive to work soon, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #68
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
He said the tow truck driver tried to jump it. I just would like to hear this guy has a car to drive to work soon, lol.
Loads of reasons why a jump won't take so still no further ahead.
And it still does not point to an ECU issue.
Summerwolf (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #69
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Loads of reasons why a jump won't take so still no further ahead.

Very true!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #70
Romanov
Just another BRZ owner

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I've had this happen during a parking ramp where my lights were on for about an hour. Battery was low but everything on the inside was working (headunit, lights ect). Just wouldn't start/crank. I Rolled it down the ramp and popped the clutch to start it.

I would definitely look into seeing if another battery would start the car. Jumps don't always work.

Follow my Instagram @sal_brz
Romanov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romanov For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-27-2016), Tcoat (06-27-2016)