follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #29
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
As far as credibility that site is, as a rule I don't take it seriously if they have **** growing pills as their ads. Which they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
I was thinking about that analytic thing, awkward!
lolol

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #30
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Retreat to Helms Deep!
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #31
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
That actually makes me happier. I'm a casual prepper and a loose social contract away from going road warrior. Any reason to rock a codpiece.

I second the codpiece but I think you need the great quads and abs to frame it properly
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #32
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I will disagree here.
This is news. There has been a discovery made of something that didn't knowingly exist in the U.S. before. It has the potential to be nasty.
The article is not overly sensationalistic imo. It is reasonably factual.
Yes, it is pretty serious.

Mind you, the bacteria is resistant to a last-resort antibiotic, which is normally used to save people infected with certain bacteria which are resistant to most existing antibiotics.

More importantly, this is plasmid-based resistance, meaning it can transfer relatively easily to other types of bacteria.

Meaning, that the time when people become infected with bacteria which cannot be treated in any way, is nigh.

Of course, it's not the end of the world, we've been there before. Basically that was the situation before the 1920s or 1930s (when sulfonamides and first antibiotics came into use). So basically throughout human history. But that was the time when infections that today are no big deal, were harmful and often fatal. Also, many modern medical procedures are only possible because we have good means to fight bacterial infections. If we cannot do that, these procedures will be gone.

So we may be sson in a pretty deep sh*t. Say thank you to:
1. irresponsible users, who do not follow antibiotic regimes, stop their therapies eraly, or take antibiotics willy-nilly
2. irresponsible doctors, who prescribe antibiotics when they are not needed.
3. large-scale farming practicies, or more importantly lax regulation thereof, which allows using antibiotics in healthy farm animals just as a preventive measure, or because growth is faster when on antibiotics
4. capitalism, because return on investement into developing antibiotics is small. A person normally takes a few 5-day or 10-day antibiotic courses over their life, so pharma companies prefer to allocate more resources to creating drugs that you take over long period of time, often daily for a lifetime.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #33
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Yes, it is pretty serious.

Mind you, the bacteria is resistant to a last-resort antibiotic, which is normally used to save people infected with certain bacteria which are resistant to most existing antibiotics.

More importantly, this is plasmid-based resistance, meaning it can transfer relatively easily to other types of bacteria.

Meaning, that the time when people become infected with bacteria which cannot be treated in any way, is nigh.

Of course, it's not the end of the world, we've been there before. Basically that was the situation before the 1920s or 1930s (when sulfonamides and first antibiotics came into use). So basically throughout human history. But that was the time when infections that today are no big deal, were harmful and often fatal. Also, many modern medical procedures are only possible because we have good means to fight bacterial infections. If we cannot do that, these procedures will be gone.

So we may be sson in a pretty deep sh*t. Say thank you to:
1. irresponsible users, who do not follow antibiotic regimes, stop their therapies eraly, or take antibiotics willy-nilly
2. irresponsible doctors, who prescribe antibiotics when they are not needed.
3. large-scale farming practicies, or more importantly lax regulation thereof, which allows using antibiotics in healthy farm animals just as a preventive measure, or because growth is faster when on antibiotics
4. capitalism, because return on investement into developing antibiotics is small. A person normally takes a few 5-day or 10-day antibiotic courses over their life, so pharma companies prefer to allocate more resources to creating drugs that you take over long period of time, often daily for a lifetime.
So it can't be treated or can't be treated *yet*?
Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #34
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was thinking about that analytic thing, awkward!
I opened the link in an incognito window, here's what the ads show:

1) "Vote Bernie" paid for by National Nurses United for Patient Protection
2) Capital One up to 1.00% APY Money Market
3) "buyshadowhawk.com" that talks about a personal weapon that is "recently released by the military"
4) Whole Earth Sweetener Company "Save $1.50"
5) "I'm with her" paid for by Hillary Victory Fund

The only thing "growing" in the ads shown to me are for CDs, and 1.00% APY is absolute shit I agree.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #35
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
This is going to sound like hogwash, but Phage therapy (using a virus tailored to a type of bacteria to attack and kill it) was being researched before the discovery of broad-spectrum antibiotics. It is more expensive and still needs more research, but in cases where it has been used, its above 90% effective (or something like that). Yes, being injected with a virus to get rid of a bacterial infection sounds crazy, but it works simply because the bacteriophages are specifically keyed to bacteria, and do not cause illness in humans. Added bonus of no "resistant" strains, since the therapy is tailored to each strain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #36
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I opened the link in an incognito window, here's what the ads show:

1) "Vote Bernie" paid for by National Nurses United for Patient Protection
2) Capital One up to 1.00% APY Money Market
3) "buyshadowhawk.com" that talks about a personal weapon that is "recently released by the military"
4) Whole Earth Sweetener Company "Save $1.50"
5) "I'm with her" paid for by Hillary Victory Fund

The only thing "growing" in the ads shown to me are for CDs, and 1.00% APY is absolute shit I agree.

-alex
That "weapon" is a fucking flashlight. And the military doesn't "release" anything, it doesn't make anything. Saw another ad for it that said "who needs guns? This thing is so bright it can blind a bear!" Bears have awful eyesight... They probably aren't very hard to blind, and they don't need to see you too be dangerous... just saying
Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #37
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
This is going to sound like hogwash, but Phage therapy (using a virus tailored to a type of bacteria to attack and kill it) was being researched before the discovery of broad-spectrum antibiotics. It is more expensive and still needs more research, but in cases where it has been used, its above 90% effective (or something like that). Yes, being injected with a virus to get rid of a bacterial infection sounds crazy, but it works simply because the bacteriophages are specifically keyed to bacteria, and do not cause illness in humans. Added bonus of no "resistant" strains, since the therapy is tailored to each strain.
T Virus here we come!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
themadscientist (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #38
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Remember ebola, swine flu, bird flu, and anthrax. The media blows these things up to create a story. 3 to 4 people will die from it and the next thing you know the media says there is a pandemic and that death is near.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #39
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
T Virus here we come!
I know you are joking, but the t-virus, if memory serves, was created to interact with human cells. Bacteriophages simply don't work that way, at least in a way that can cause an infection in people.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #40
Ashikabi

Quote:
I know you are joking, but the t-virus, if memory serves, was created to interact with human cells. Bacteriophages simply don't work that way, at least in a way that can cause an infection in people.
Until they do something we didn't think they could/would do. Then we have a zombie apocalypse

Worked on dogs and crows too according to the movies
Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #41
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Until they do something we didn't think they could/would do. Then we have a zombie apocalypse

Worked on dogs and crows too according to the movies
Bacteriophages are something that have been studied as long as humanity has had microscopes. They have been used successfully used in the past, effectively.

Once again acknowledging that I know you are kidding, you have to keep in mind that movies, tv shows, and entertainment in general default to the "worst case scenario." Yes, it could happen, but the chances of something that spontaneous happening are slim to none in the reality we live in.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
Old 05-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #42
Ashikabi

Quote:
Bacteriophages are something that have been studied as long as humanity has had microscopes. They have been used successfully used in the past, effectively.

Once again acknowledging that I know you are kidding, you have to keep in mind that movies, tv shows, and entertainment in general default to the "worst case scenario." Yes, it could happen, but the chances of something that spontaneous happening are slim to none in the reality we live in.
Indeed, which is why I'm not worried. We beat nearly every other major "disease". And pretty well contain the ones we haven't. Not worried about something remaining untreatable for long

Even zombies can be treated with simple cranial trauma
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (05-27-2016)