follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #7169
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The simple fact of the matter, (stockysnail you're right) is that the 335 makes too much air and power for the motor. I've had VERY reputable tuners tell me this. I'm pretty sure sprintex wouldn't even recommend it.

Stay away from that blower unless you're comfortably sitting on $50k and can afford to constantly be fixing pistons and holes. Not worth the extra power IMO. Just go turbo. Or run water meth. If you're looking for more than 315hp, sprintex IS NOT the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
Out of curiosity - how many here have installed post IC temp sensors on the Sprintex 335? We have one we have been messing with one for a while and this thing is a heat monster. Have seen up to 110C intake air temps by the end of a single 4th gear pull. And this is with two massive 4000 CFM squirrel cage fans on the heat exchanger. Sprintex has been refusing to tell me what temps I SHOULD be seeing post IC, and they also are unable or unwilling to provide compressor maps so we can try to figure out what efficiency we are at.
stockysnail (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #7170
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargedup View Post
Does anyone have a sprintex kit w/ an invidia n1? sound clips?

Also figured out why my setup wasn't running right. Dealer advertised the car w/ a nameless axelback and that's what the tune was set up for, turns out they swapped it for full stock exhaust. Picking up an n1 this weekend!
If you have catless headers or catless front pipe, the N1 is going to be f*ing loud. You won't be able to hear the supercharger as much because of it. I had the Nameless axleback with my catless headers and going up a hill was too much for me to take. I switched to the Q300 and I've loved it ever since.

I have some track and non-track video clips on my build thread if you'd like to check them out. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but my exhaust setup on the track with the supercharger at full whine is the best sounding one I've heard. I let someone else drive it so I know from a spectators standpoint as you'll see in the videos. I've also had more compliments than I can count on how people have really loved the sound of my car on the street, autox, and at the track.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
riboyster (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #7171
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
The simple fact of the matter, (stockysnail you're right) is that the 335 makes too much air and power for the motor. I've had VERY reputable tuners tell me this. I'm pretty sure sprintex wouldn't even recommend it.

Stay away from that blower unless you're comfortably sitting on $50k and can afford to constantly be fixing pistons and holes. Not worth the extra power IMO. Just go turbo. Or run water meth. If you're looking for more than 315hp, sprintex IS NOT the solution.
What the fuck are going on about? Where do you get $50k from? Sprintex recommends the 335 just fine as long as you build your engine.

Power is power whether it comes from a supercharger or a turbocharger. Both are pushing more air into the engine. One isn't safer to run that the other. Anything over 300-325 WHP, S/C or turbo, and you're asking for trouble unless you build your engine. Yes, the extra power is delivered differently (S/C power curve is more linear) between the two but it matter not. Unless I'm missing something?

Can you explain how 315+ WHP with a S/C is any less safe than 315+ WHP with a turbo?
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #7172
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
but I'm still weary.
You're tired? Maybe you should get some sleep
stockysnail (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #7173
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
What the fuck are going on about? Where do you get $50k from? Sprintex recommends the 335 just fine as long as you build your engine.

Power is power whether it comes from a supercharger or a turbocharger. Both are pushing more air into the engine. One isn't safer to run that the other. Anything over 300-325 WHP, S/C or turbo, and you're asking for trouble unless you build your engine. Yes, the extra power is delivered differently (S/C power curve is more linear) between the two but it matter not. Unless I'm missing something?

Can you explain how 315+ WHP with a S/C is any less safe than 315+ WHP with a turbo?
We're talking about stock internals here. Go easy with the slandering.
Turbo lag is what I'm talking about. You are at full boost in the green zone as opposed to being at full boost below 2k.
Unless you think that stock internals can handle 9-11psi at 1.5k. By all means, post a vid. But do it with YOUR car.
Dream20b (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #7174
brianhj

Oh, stock? Yeah, no, fuck that

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
riboyster (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #7175
chargedup

Drives: SC BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
If you have catless headers or catless front pipe, the N1 is going to be f*ing loud. You won't be able to hear the supercharger as much because of it. I had the Nameless axleback with my catless headers and going up a hill was too much for me to take. I switched to the Q300 and I've loved it ever since.

I have some track and non-track video clips on my build thread if you'd like to check them out. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but my exhaust setup on the track with the supercharger at full whine is the best sounding one I've heard. I let someone else drive it so I know from a spectators standpoint as you'll see in the videos. I've also had more compliments than I can count on how people have really loved the sound of my car on the street, autox, and at the track.
I'm stock headers/front pipe, so it shouldn't be too loud
chargedup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chargedup For This Useful Post:
stockysnail (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 02:46 AM   #7176
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Isn't that what the bypass valve does though? Doesn't it release some PSI at low RPM? I thought I read that somewhere about the Sprintex
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #7177
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post
Isn't that what the bypass valve does though? Doesn't it release some PSI at low RPM? I thought I read that somewhere about the Sprintex
I think it's open at full boost. Does something to keep the unit cool. Quite frankly, I've never been too sure though. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any wastegating.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:50 AM   #7178
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have noooo clue where I read it but I thought that's what I read. Was why a lot of people have trouble getting boost prior to 3k because it's all to do with the vacuum differential blah blah. But I read so much about these cars so I can't remember where I saw it.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COO86L For This Useful Post:
riboyster (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #7179
Rifle
EX-86 Supercharged God

Drives: '16 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargedup View Post
Does anyone have a sprintex kit w/ an invidia n1? sound clips?

Also figured out why my setup wasn't running right. Dealer advertised the car w/ a nameless axelback and that's what the tune was set up for, turns out they swapped it for full stock exhaust. Picking up an n1 this weekend!

A 'tune' for an axle back, as opposed to stock, wouldn't make your car run any different. An axle back is behind all parts of the engine/exhaust that would show any performance gains. It would be mainly for sound.

I've had the N1 at full catless on my Sprintex setup. Don't do it. Here's a few reasons why. It's fucking loud. With stock everything else, it's okay. But as soon as you add the supercharger and turn out to be chasing power, you'll swap the header and front pipe for a catless setup. Next thing you know, you can't hear yourself think in 6th gear cruising on the highway. I was going to say another reason, but I think I've summed it up enough.

If you're still curious, I've put up enough videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KRHLM4kktw"]2015 Scion FR-S Innovate/Sprintrex Twin Screw Supercharger - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPo9NBzyFc"]Supercharged BRZ Exhaust / Cabin Whine - YouTube[/ame]

I'd recommend this setup, which is the Perrin 2.5inch
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SSYquOYg8I"]2016 Sprintex Supercharged Series.HyperBlue BRZ Dyno Run - YouTube[/ame]
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #7180
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post
As far as I know it's on full boost at full throttle no matter what rpm as the bypass valve is based on throttle %, and boost can't be modulated like in a turbo. I'm far from an expert so don't take my word for it.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (05-15-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #7181
brianhj

I'm getting oil residue near the pulley on the snout. I'm using a 69mm pulley. Should I be concerned? I have the supercharger off right now anything I should check?

Also is this the normal position for everything on the bypass valve?

Last edited by brianhj; 05-14-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #7182
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I'm getting oil residue near the pulley on the snout. I'm using a 69mm pulley. Should I be concerned? I have the supercharger off right now anything I should check?

Also is this the normal position for everything on the bypass valve?

Just check your supercharger oil level at least once a month with it leaking from the snout. Bypass valve seems to look fine to me.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CK_Bladesmith For This Useful Post:
brianhj (05-15-2016)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.