follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2016, 02:20 AM   #169
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,981 Times in 16,483 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Whoa... well.. this thread... heh

Anyway... Is it weird that I want to add FI to my BRZ eventually? The car probably would have cost me 45k in total by that point? Wheels, suspension, full exhaust, SC, and all the labor combined.
The way I see it... I look around at other (new) cars for 45k and I don't see anything I'd want to pick over the BRZ.

The lack of torque down low is annoying for traffic, sometimes, I can see that. I tend to blip to 2K RPM when in stop-and-go traffic just so the engine doesnt sound like a tractor as it tries to make my car creep forward. Or god forbid I'm on even a slight incline and I stall because I don't give enough gas.
Its just not as smooth I guess?

Once I'm rolling around on the highway though, passing other cars and whatnot really isnt an issue. I'm already hitting speeds that would get me in trouble while passing.

Our car isnt practical. None of the cars discussed in this thread are practical. No matter what, you're not spending your money wisely if you have one of these cars. The question is, what do you want to waste your money on?
Well @PandaSPUR ..... I hope you have a better day tomorrow .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:53 AM   #170
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Whoa... well.. this thread... heh

Anyway... Is it weird that I want to add FI to my BRZ eventually? The car probably would have cost me 45k in total by that point? Wheels, suspension, full exhaust, SC, and all the labor combined.
The way I see it... I look around at other (new) cars for 45k and I don't see anything I'd want to pick over the BRZ.

The lack of torque down low is annoying for traffic, sometimes, I can see that. I tend to blip to 2K RPM when in stop-and-go traffic just so the engine doesnt sound like a tractor as it tries to make my car creep forward. Or god forbid I'm on even a slight incline and I stall because I don't give enough gas.
Its just not as smooth I guess?

Once I'm rolling around on the highway though, passing other cars and whatnot really isnt an issue. I'm already hitting speeds that would get me in trouble while passing.

Our car isnt practical. None of the cars discussed in this thread are practical. No matter what, you're not spending your money wisely if you have one of these cars. The question is, what do you want to waste your money on?
Not weird at all to WANT to add power loads of guys do and there is no bad reason for it when the statement is "want" and not "need". If you are "blipping" to 2000 revs when moving then you are just not doing something right. There is no "lack of torque" down low and you should not "sound like a tractor" if you are in the proper gear for the speed. Stalling on an incline is NEVER the car's fault.
Maybe my car is just special but stop and go traffic has never been a problem since I just keep it in first or second and maintain the revs between 2000 and 3000. If I need to clutch in and roll because the speed had dropped below where I can maintain the needed revs I just clutch in and roll. This is no different then driving any other MT car regardless of power. Driving MT in traffic is a pain in the ass in any car but gets even trickier when it is an engine that makes power through revs instead of displacement. Going FI is not going to change the stop and go situation one little bit since you will still need to maintain revs at very low speeds.

So the moral of the story is, when driving in traffic just drive in the proper range with frequent clutch work and revs, swap to a larger displacement engine that isn't so rev happy or buy an auto which will do the work for you. There is no magic that will make a small displacement engine easier to drive at low speeds.
Dadhawk (04-20-2016), HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), Jaden (04-20-2016), wireman957 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #171
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,999 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
That depends completely on your individual definition of "practical" and whether or not you were careful enough to purchase the right car for your mission.

My FR-S is primarily a commuter and it serves that function very well for me. It gets great gas mileage (almost twice what my last car got), it's comfortable (a subjective opinion), and it's fun to drive. It was also relatively inexpensive new (most other cars I considered were 25% to 100% more expensive).

It also serves just fine as a 2 person vacation vehicle. You can easily pack up for a week's vacation and hit the road in it. MomHawk and I have done that multiple times in my almost 4 years of ownership.

Now, 10 years ago when I had 3 sons at home, and my primary vehicle was also the sports team/family transport, no the 86 would not have been practical.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-20-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), new2subaru (04-20-2016), Tcoat (04-20-2016), wireman957 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #172
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Well I'll start by saying the answer to the question depends on how you feel about the car. I've been struggling with this decision for a while. I certainly would like to drop 4k on a kit but at the same time I think I'd rather put that money towards a 16 Camaro SS (my current obsession). The FRS is a great car and I'm certain it would be awesome on boost but there are too many things that I dislike about the car to drop that amount of cash on it, on top of the money I've already spent. If I could do it again I would things a bit different, BUT if you really love this car and all its quirks, by all means do it.
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TruRace For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-20-2016), HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), Summerwolf (04-20-2016), Tcoat (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #173
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRace View Post
Well I'll start by saying the answer to the question depends on how you feel about the car. I've been struggling with this decision for a while. I certainly would like to drop 4k on a kit but at the same time I think I'd rather put that money towards a 16 Camaro SS (my current obsession). The FRS is a great car and I'm certain it would be awesome on boost but there are too many things that I dislike about the car to drop that amount of cash on it, on top of the money I've already spent. If I could do it again I would things a bit different, BUT if you really love this car and all its quirks, by all means do it.

The 6th Gen is easily the best of the current crop of "muscle" cars IMO. A car that can go straight and handle that has an excellent interior and somewhat lightweight.... winner.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #174
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well @PandaSPUR ..... I hope you have a better day tomorrow .....

humfrz
wut o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not weird at all to WANT to add power loads of guys do and there is no bad reason for it when the statement is "want" and not "need". If you are "blipping" to 2000 revs when moving then you are just not doing something right. There is no "lack of torque" down low and you should not "sound like a tractor" if you are in the proper gear for the speed. Stalling on an incline is NEVER the car's fault.
Maybe my car is just special but stop and go traffic has never been a problem since I just keep it in first or second and maintain the revs between 2000 and 3000. If I need to clutch in and roll because the speed had dropped below where I can maintain the needed revs I just clutch in and roll. This is no different then driving any other MT car regardless of power. Driving MT in traffic is a pain in the ass in any car but gets even trickier when it is an engine that makes power through revs instead of displacement. Going FI is not going to change the stop and go situation one little bit since you will still need to maintain revs at very low speeds.

So the moral of the story is, when driving in traffic just drive in the proper range with frequent clutch work and revs, swap to a larger displacement engine that isn't so rev happy or buy an auto which will do the work for you. There is no magic that will make a small displacement engine easier to drive at low speeds.
Honestly it could all just be because I'm a new driver and I'm basing my opinions off a small subset of experience. Maybe this car isnt lacking torque but its just less forgiving?

Doesn't mean the car needs more power just for traffic, or needs more power in general. But I still find myself wanting more power just cause I can :p
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), Tcoat (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #175
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,999 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruRace View Post
... think I'd rather put that money towards a 16 Camaro SS (my current obsession). .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The 6th Gen is easily the best of the current crop of "muscle" cars IMO. A car that can go straight and handle that has an excellent interior and somewhat lightweight.... winner.
Got to agree with both. Had the current Camaro been the 2012/2013 model, I most likely would not be on this forum right now.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #176
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,770 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
To keep with op, if you decide wiht force induction the problem will be which path: supercharger or turbo?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #177
CatScan

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The haters are always entertaining. It's ALWAYS the car that does not live up to their massive skill set.

Not perfect, but learning to drive it well despite the flaws is half the fun.

Edit: Not talking about Panda, he just needs some practice.
CatScan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CatScan For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), p1l0t (04-20-2016), Tcoat (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #178
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,814 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I mean if you can hover around 6 grand for more than a minute than you live in a cooler place then I do... (or you're in neutral)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #179
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Got to agree with both. Had the current Camaro been the 2012/2013 model, I most likely would not be on this forum right now.
Me too!
In 3 more years maybe. The only thing I would have to get over is there are so damned many of them around here. I like being unique.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #180
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I mean if you can hover around 6 grand for more than a minute than you live in a cooler place then I do... (or you're in neutral)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
See that is just it. It seems to be common that everybody says you need to be top end revs all the time. I just don't find that and for city/highway driving it performs just fine through the whole range. I also feel that the whole "the torque dip ruins everything" sentiment is laughable when talking daily street driving. If I didn't know it was there I doubt I would ever have even noticed. One dude here complained that it took him two or three minutes to get out of the dip. I would pay money to see just how he was driving.
HotLeopardMama (04-25-2016), humfrz (04-20-2016), p1l0t (04-20-2016), roddy (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #181
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Dad ... if you had that car ... you would probably be complaining it had TOO much torque and TOO much HP. You would be dreaming if only you had a light weight car with USABLE power with a powerband that can be used all the time.
J/K.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #182
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Dad ... if you had that car ... you would probably be complaining it had TOO much torque and TOO much HP. You would be dreaming if only you had a light weight car with USABLE power with a powerband that can be used all the time.
J/K.
Naw, just get in automatic, that'll fix your power problem
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote