follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm concerned that future generations aren't going to make the world better.
YukiHachiRoku (04-26-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Hate to say it, but they probably couldn't fuck it up any worse than we have.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (04-19-2016), rice_classic (04-15-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #17
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Hate to say it, but they probably couldn't fuck it up any worse than we have.
Ha! We'll show you!

(Oops. I'm Gen Y. Nevermind...)
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #18
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
'uBox is designed to be a one solution for young generation who like to socialize, work and explore new places.'

I'm sure they can do all of those things with a smart phone. No need for a vehicle other than just possibly a bicycle.

Will they be able to live in this vehicle...since most won't be able to afford rent ?

And what's pictured is most likely their idea of work, yea right...that's work.
Attached Images

Last edited by ToySub1946; 04-17-2016 at 11:56 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #19
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Interesting vehicle. I think I like it, but probably not at all for the reasons they intended. Then again, I sort of like this one too.

http://newlaunches.com/archives/toyo...d-of-60kmh.php

The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #20
cwpbrz-ji

Drives: BRZ & Forester
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Will they be able to live in this vehicle...since most won't be able to afford rent ?
Great points raised and (imo) it is hard to make the “world better” if one has “to live in this vehicle...since most won't be able to afford rent”.

Time Trippin':

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y079_-SEIpo"]z88Films - Slammed Scion XB Tribute - YouTube[/ame]
cwpbrz-ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #21
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Toyota is trying hard to figure out how to replace this one car solution:

It's funny you should mention that.

Toyota's most successful SUV is the landcruiser. it's so successful that they brought back the J70, if only for a limited time.

If they're really trying to capture a market all they need to do release the 2-door variant here. It looks fine, is capable, reliable, has adequate space for the market they're trying to hit, and could quite frankly dethrone JEEP.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #22
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

I'm reasonably certain the previous generation always says the next is a bunch of slackers. It was said about my generation and I've said it about the Millennials. What a bunch of whiny bitches, but I do like their naive idealism. It's annoying when they are young and spouting off from their parent's couch, but they are getting older and it looks like a lot of them are starting to hone it into a useful edge and try to make changes to the world around them. I'm happy to talk about new ideas.

Of course their vehicles would be quite different, they are different people with different ideas and priorities. I'm totally cool with that as long as they leave the old curmudgeonly Gen Xer's loud and fast car, loud and fast music and twinkies and soda alone. Be idealistic, but stay in your lane, rainbow, I'm going fast over here and I don't need you snapchatting about your gluten free muffin in front of me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
krayzie (04-26-2016), YukiHachiRoku (04-26-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #23
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRai View Post
\
But seriously I want to know why they always design these cars for the youth, urban, modern, adventurous, etc demographic who doesn't exist.
What happens when you have poorly trained or untrained market researchers.
Muaddib (04-26-2016), YukiHachiRoku (04-26-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #24
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Marketers have lived in an echo chamber for too long. They no longer think consumers know what they want, but, instead, must be told what they want by marketers.

If these asshats paid attention in their marketing classes in college they would remember the pioneering work of Charles Coolidge Parlin who shot down Campbells idea that their canned food would appeal to rich people. He dug through trash cans and discovered that was not true. Only poor people were tossing empty soup cans. He understood that paradigms and theories had to be vetted against the evidence and while the idea may sound good in the board room and do well in some simulation, people are people and if they just don't want it, they don't want it.

I worked in the hotel business for a long time and the biggest challenges for my front line staff was understanding that if you shut the fuck up and listen to your customer they will tell you what they want. Don't try to tell them what they want based on what you want them to want. Listen to the customer. Ask questions to increase your understanding from the customer's perspective, very important, look at your product mix and service capabilities and deliver on those expectations. It's not like engineering, it's a social science.

I've gone round and round with my engine builder on the GT-R and he has not listened to me and it's infuriating. He wants to build what he wants for me and on paper it makes sense; it's a solid plan, but he has forgot that crucial constant that is people are weird, they want what they want and sometimes it's stupid, but they still want it. It is and I do. he seems to be coming around, but it's been a fight to get him to shut the fuck up and listen to what I, the guy paying for all this shit, wants.

I don't buy a lot of new stuff simply because I need to see some utility in the product before I put down my money. Marketers and other consumers say "but, it does this." I see that, but don't need that. Psuedotangibles (think I just created a word) like whether something entertains you or you find it clever an interesting or ownership rewards you emotionally all play a factor. They are not easily captured in a market study and listening to the voice of the customer is the only possible way to catch that data.

I had been complaining for many years that I wanted a lightweight, RWD manual transmission "fun" car. For years, nothing. No, Nissan, I don't want the 370Z, are you listening? Suddenly, one day I see a BRZ in a magazine. There it is. Somebody heard me. Here's my money. I love that car to death and it's the first car I haven't immediately wanted to tear apart and redo. I changed the wheels and ever since have never felt to need to change anything. I still look back at it when I walk away from it in the parking lot, I still catch myself taking it in when I drive and I often just go drive for the pure enjoyment of driving. Bullseye, Toybaru.

I can't speak ill of this vehicle. It's not targeted towards me and truth be told, I don't really "get" millennials so I can't really say if it would appeal to them. I dig it aesthetically, but the rest of the whiz bang is lost on me; maybe they will like it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-19-2016), daiheadjai (04-26-2016), krayzie (04-26-2016), soulreapersteve (04-26-2016), YukiHachiRoku (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #25
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Generation Zombie...

By the way, for all you fine specimens born 1981, this is a good read as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-baby-boomers/

Last edited by YukiHachiRoku; 04-26-2016 at 04:28 PM.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #26
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Marketers have lived in an echo chamber for too long. They no longer think consumers know what they want, but, instead, must be told what they want by marketers.

If these asshats paid attention in their marketing classes in college they would remember the pioneering work of Charles Coolidge Parlin who shot down Campbells idea that their canned food would appeal to rich people. He dug through trash cans and discovered that was not true. Only poor people were tossing empty soup cans. He understood that paradigms and theories had to be vetted against the evidence and while the idea may sound good in the board room and do well in some simulation, people are people and if they just don't want it, they don't want it.

I worked in the hotel business for a long time and the biggest challenges for my front line staff was understanding that if you shut the fuck up and listen to your customer they will tell you what they want. Don't try to tell them what they want based on what you want them to want. Listen to the customer. Ask questions to increase your understanding from the customer's perspective, very important, look at your product mix and service capabilities and deliver on those expectations. It's not like engineering, it's a social science.

I've gone round and round with my engine builder on the GT-R and he has not listened to me and it's infuriating. He wants to build what he wants for me and on paper it makes sense; it's a solid plan, but he has forgot that crucial constant that is people are weird, they want what they want and sometimes it's stupid, but they still want it. It is and I do. he seems to be coming around, but it's been a fight to get him to shut the fuck up and listen to what I, the guy paying for all this shit, wants.

I don't buy a lot of new stuff simply because I need to see some utility in the product before I put down my money. Marketers and other consumers say "but, it does this." I see that, but don't need that. Psuedotangibles (think I just created a word) like whether something entertains you or you find it clever an interesting or ownership rewards you emotionally all play a factor. They are not easily captured in a market study and listening to the voice of the customer is the only possible way to catch that data.

I had been complaining for many years that I wanted a lightweight, RWD manual transmission "fun" car. For years, nothing. No, Nissan, I don't want the 370Z, are you listening? Suddenly, one day I see a BRZ in a magazine. There it is. Somebody heard me. Here's my money. I love that car to death and it's the first car I haven't immediately wanted to tear apart and redo. I changed the wheels and ever since have never felt to need to change anything. I still look back at it when I walk away from it in the parking lot, I still catch myself taking it in when I drive and I often just go drive for the pure enjoyment of driving. Bullseye, Toybaru.

I can't speak ill of this vehicle. It's not targeted towards me and truth be told, I don't really "get" millennials so I can't really say if it would appeal to them. I dig it aesthetically, but the rest of the whiz bang is lost on me; maybe they will like it.
TLDR

but the reality is more likely not that marketers are in echo chambers, but that product developers and manufactures. hoose too often not to adhere to the basic marketing concept.

it's about trying to maintain steady income instead of taking chances on doing something better.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #27
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiHachiRoku View Post
Generation Zombie...
Indeed

The Following User Says Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #28
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
it's about trying to maintain steady income instead of taking chances on doing something better.
I think this is because of the stock market and maximizing shareholder value of the corporation. IMO once this is out of the equation would a company start to make the best possible product that caters to the people in a positive manner.

When I was in school around the turn of the century, they were starting to teach that modern marketing incorporates a lot of theory from semiotics, which basically teaches how to manipulate the mindset of people. Maybe that's why nowadays marketers think they know better than their target audience in terms of what they want and should have.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (04-27-2016)