follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
wwilder9

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Third Light Flash

I'm new to subaru, and love the look of the twins, I just recently bought a 2016 WRB BRZ, The dealer installed a flashing light module for the third light, I bought the car in Kentucky, but I live in Ohio, does Kentucky have a law for this? Or is the dealer just being proactive in safety? First time I have ever seen this. Does anyone else have this installed from dealer?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LOjHfldlZ0"]Brz Flashing third light from dealer. - YouTube[/ame]
wwilder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I would be really irritated if I am behind you at the stop and go traffic. That's weird dealer installed it, did you have to pay for it v
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
wwilder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
I would be really irritated if I am behind you at the stop and go traffic. That's weird dealer installed it, did you have to pay for it v
Neil Huffman in Louisville sold me the car, They did not tell me about it, My wife followed me home (two hours) and told me about it when I got home, I found the module spliced into the factory harness in the trunk, The car had 10 miles on it when I test drove it.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Si_Chris

Drives: 2016 ISM BRZ Limited, 2000 Civic SI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I installed a module like this on my old car. If anything, it keeps people who text and drive as well as tail gaters alert, and from rear ending you.

The one I installed did not blink the third brake light every time you hit the brakes. You would have to be off the brakes for 8 seconds for the module to blink the third brake light again.
Si_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #5
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I see your car also has the wall-holding anti-gravity option too. That is not the 3rd brake light. Is that an aftermarket unit? Maybe a Valenti? That area on a stock car is the back up light only, with no brake lights in it. 3rd brake light is in the back window, and I installed the module in mine so the back window high mounted stop light flashes. Hard to believe that a dealer would install an aftermarket backup/brake light unit........I'd be doing some more investigating on that car..........unless it's on the dealer option sticker.

Did you buy it used or brand new?
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Si_Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
I see your car also has the wall-holding anti-gravity option too. That is not the 3rd brake light. Is that an aftermarket unit? Maybe a Valenti? That area on a stock car is the back up light only, with no brake lights in it. 3rd brake light is in the back window, and I installed the module in mine so the back window high mounted stop light flashes. Hard to believe that a dealer would install an aftermarket backup/brake light unit........I'd be doing some more investigating on that car..........unless it's on the dealer option sticker.

That's clearly the third brake light...on the back deck interior. Do you not see it through the rear window in the video?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
wwilder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post

It's the 3rd tail light at the bottom of the rear window, I just made the mistake of turning my phone while recording, and don't know how to fix recording.
Its not on the dealers option sticker, And I bought the car brand new.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
wwilder9

Tomorrow I will call the dealer and see why it was installed, I kinda like it. But then again I hope I'm not breaking any law.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
There are several cars that come with this from the factory. It's legal so long as it stays on the entire time (alternates between dim and bright but never fully goes out while braking).

It's a good reminder for people that are more concerned with everything but driving to pay attention.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Si_Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
There are several cars that come with this from the factory. It's legal so long as it stays on the entire time (alternates between dim and bright but never fully goes out while braking).

It's a good reminder for people that are more concerned with everything but driving to pay attention.
I remember seeing these on Saturn Ions from the mid 2000s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Chris For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #11
jaime3

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
I work at our dealership and it's a module we sell to put on cars. It's actually very important when it comes to getting a bad drivers attention to get him to stop. It just adds more saftey to the vehicle and yourself. And it actually will always give you an advantage when it comes to insurance purposes if you ever get rear ended with it on. I personally have one on my car but not on my third brake light. I connected it to my reverse lights
jaime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 AM   #12
jaime3

Garage
Here's the website http://www.pulseprotects.com
The Following User Says Thank You to jaime3 For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #13
jaime3

Garage
And they are completely legal to have on by the way
Old 03-28-2016, 03:06 AM   #14
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime3 View Post
I work at our dealership and it's a module we sell to put on cars. It's actually very important when it comes to getting a bad drivers attention to get him to stop. It just adds more saftey to the vehicle and yourself. And it actually will always give you an advantage when it comes to insurance purposes if you ever get rear ended with it on. I personally have one on my car but not on my third brake light. I connected it to my reverse lights
Hello!

Do you know if the Pulse module work as described in Si_Chris' post below? (Doesn't blink until off brakes for 8 seconds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si_Chris View Post
I installed a module like this on my old car. If anything, it keeps people who text and drive as well as tail gaters alert, and from rear ending you.

The one I installed did not blink the third brake light every time you hit the brakes. You would have to be off the brakes for 8 seconds for the module to blink the third brake light again.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote