follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Major road trip to pick up my SWP Premium starting Friday 6/15. Critique my course.

I'm flying up from Baton Rouge, LA to Manchester, NH on Friday to pick up my SWP Subaru BRZ Premium manual.
I'm taking the following course: http://goo.gl/maps/E5k7

All of the named stops are places where I know people I plan on visiting on the way down. As you'll see, I'll be hitting up the Tail of the Dragon on the way down. If there are any other really good driving roads I should hit that aren't too far out of the way, let me know and I'll add them to my list, time permitting. This especially goes for anything after 1000 miles into the trip where I can really open the car up.

I'll also be taking tons of pictures and I'll even have a gopro taping the really interesting roads (e.g. the dragon), so there will be a major effort-post when I get time to sort through everything and edit into something presentable.

Your input is greatly welcomed!

-Mitch
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:
Guff (06-11-2012), WRXGuy1 (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
ha! i was considering doing this exact same thing (buying from MA. and driving back to houston) but didnt want to go through the hassle of buying a car so far away. Not sure why you want to stop in Alabama, but congrats and good luck. have fun! im jealous!
wallace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm in the town next to Manchester, when on Friday are you picking it up? If you want we can meet up and I can give you some ideas in person.

Having recently went on a road trip my self from Manchester, NH to Atlanta, GA, heres my take on changes.

Skip Boston. Go from Manchester, through Keene, Brattleboro VT, into Albany on Route 9. It's a very fun and scenic twisty road through mountains and hills. Going down 93 to Boston and then into Hartford is a boring, straight, and congested highway.

I would also avoid the NYC area completely, expect to pay lots in tolls and be sitting in traffic for hours longer then you originally anticipated. With a car like this you want uncongested, twisty roads.

See my suggestions: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=m...rsp=3&sz=6&z=6

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Couple of Virginia recommendations:

If you want to take a little more time to enjoy the trip, head to Skyline drive at Front Royal, VA and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway once you have reached the southern limit to Shenandoah National Park.

Also, your route takes you on rt 151 through Nelson County, VA (born and raised). If you are a fan of beer or wine, you will be in heaven there and I highly recommend spending a night in that area.

Here’s my favorite area brewery and a nice B&B owned by family friends:
http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/
http://www.acorninn.com/intro.shtml
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMU-BRZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-11-2012), xjohnx (07-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just drove mine from NH to VA, awesome trip! Looks like your taking a very round-about route so hopefully by the time you get to the tail of the dragon in NC the engine will be broken in enough to have some real fun.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
helloimgil

Drives: 13 Whiteout / 09 R6 [BRZ is gone!]
Have fun man! I just did a 10+ hour drive for mine going from Utah to LA.

helloimgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
After you leave Albany, you'll be heading down 87. I live in Poughkeepsie, right on the east side of the Hudson river where 87 is. I'd love to see your car and maybe even have a mini shoot!! Let me know if you're interested!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
WRXGuy1

I saw your car today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRXGuy1 For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (06-24-2012), Mitch (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
dorkymork
Na-Nu Na-Nu

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (GBS)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I've been on the tail of the dragon before, there is not 10 feet of straight road on that guy, beautiful side of the mountain scenery.... Perfect for a BRZ

Such a good idea, I'm going to copy it. NC, here I come.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
ha! i was considering doing this exact same thing (buying from MA. and driving back to houston) but didnt want to go through the hassle of buying a car so far away. Not sure why you want to stop in Alabama, but congrats and good luck. have fun! im jealous!
Stop in Alabama is to see family. Birmingham is actually a pretty cool city, all things considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
I'm in the town next to Manchester, when on Friday are you picking it up? If you want we can meet up and I can give you some ideas in person.

Having recently went on a road trip my self from Manchester, NH to Atlanta, GA, heres my take on changes.

Skip Boston. Go from Manchester, through Keene, Brattleboro VT, into Albany on Route 9. It's a very fun and scenic twisty road through mountains and hills. Going down 93 to Boston and then into Hartford is a boring, straight, and congested highway.

I would also avoid the NYC area completely, expect to pay lots in tolls and be sitting in traffic for hours longer then you originally anticipated. With a car like this you want uncongested, twisty roads.

See my suggestions: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=m...rsp=3&sz=6&z=6
Thanks for the advice on staying away from NYC. I'll take your route around. I've never seen Boston before, and I'm trying to catch up with people in CT the next day, so it's a good place for me to kill some time. But if something happens that shakes up the plan, I'll make the cut through Vermont instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU-BRZ View Post
Couple of Virginia recommendations:

If you want to take a little more time to enjoy the trip, head to Skyline drive at Front Royal, VA and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway once you have reached the southern limit to Shenandoah National Park.

Also, your route takes you on rt 151 through Nelson County, VA (born and raised). If you are a fan of beer or wine, you will be in heaven there and I highly recommend spending a night in that area.

Here’s my favorite area brewery and a nice B&B owned by family friends:
http://www.bluemountainbrewery.com/
http://www.acorninn.com/intro.shtml
I'll add them to the list of potential stops!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
Just drove mine from NH to VA, awesome trip! Looks like your taking a very round-about route so hopefully by the time you get to the tail of the dragon in NC the engine will be broken in enough to have some real fun.
Yeah, I'll be able to open it up just in time for the Dragon. Even have a new GoPro to film it with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinrawke View Post
Have fun man! I just did a 10+ hour drive for mine going from Utah to LA.

Very nice! Glad we had the same idea. I certainly don't mind going out of my way for something I want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
After you leave Albany, you'll be heading down 87. I live in Poughkeepsie, right on the east side of the Hudson river where 87 is. I'd love to see your car and maybe even have a mini shoot!! Let me know if you're interested!
It's looking like the new route takes me away from Poughkeepsie in the interests of less traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
I saw your car today.

Thanks!! I've been dying to see pictures of it, but I didn't want to trouble Bob for it since I was going to be seeing it soon anyway. It's funny, I've seen hundreds of pictures of this car so far, but those look the best (I guess because this one's mine!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkymork View Post
I've been on the tail of the dragon before, there is not 10 feet of straight road on that guy, beautiful side of the mountain scenery.... Perfect for a BRZ

Such a good idea, I'm going to copy it. NC, here I come.
When you go, remember to check killboy.com for your pictures. That's the first thing I'm going to check when I get home.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
Roach

Drives: '98 Impreza RS -> BRZ
After the dragon, when you cross the TN line into NC, take 28 S all the way to Franklin NC. If your feeling adventurous, take hwy 64 from Franklin to Highlands. Both of these roads are better than the dragon IMO, as they have less traffic and cops.
Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
After the dragon, when you cross the TN line into NC, take 28 S all the way to Franklin NC. If your feeling adventurous, take hwy 64 from Franklin to Highlands. Both of these roads are better than the dragon IMO, as they have less traffic and cops.
As a North Carolinian, I can agree 100% with this one. I don't like tickets! Similar on the fun scale, not even close on the probability of getting a ticket scale.
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
As a North Carolinian, I can agree 100% with this one. I don't like tickets! Similar on the fun scale, not even close on the probability of getting a ticket scale.
I'll add my voice to that. From an overall experience, the other two routes are more satisfying.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
WRXGuy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Thanks!! I've been dying to see pictures of it, but I didn't want to trouble Bob for it since I was going to be seeing it soon anyway. It's funny, I've seen hundreds of pictures of this car so far, but those look the best (I guess because this one's mine!).
That's probably why! He sold me my BRZ, he's a great guy. We talked a little bit about you as well, lol. Hopefully you like your new car!

If you are going to CT, my choice then would be to cut through Route 13 into Townsend, MA through Worcester, then into Hartford. It's pretty much a direct drive south, and the traffic usually isn't as bad.