follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #15
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm kinda torn. I originally was going to say I wouldn't want to get a manual for daily commuting through rush hour in NYC. But then I realized, traffic sucks no matter what and working the clutch in traffic is kinda second nature to me now. Automatic is definitely easier for traffic in NYC though.

As for the wear and tear on the floor mats.. You're gonna have that same hole in the carpet under the brake pedal, having a manual wont change it much. You probably wont have a second hole under the clutch since you shouldn't be riding your clutch anyway. If you're stopped for more than a few seconds, you should just be in neutral and off the clutch.

The area I experience bumper to bumper most is on the ramp from Williamsburg bridge on to east bound BQE. Once you get over the first hill up, its all downhill so I usually just stay in neutral and use gravity to roll me forward lol.

And really, if you're worried about wear on carpet but hate Weathertech mats (I'm assuming), then try the 3D Maxpider mats. I switched to those and they look a lot better.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #16
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
In NYC I'd be more worried about the outside of my car.
Yeah no lie. I had never seen those rubber bumper guards until I visited a friend in NYC where half the people have them and asked WTF they were. Mind blown.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 AM   #17
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Yeah no lie. I had never seen those rubber bumper guards until I visited a friend in NYC where half the people have them and asked WTF they were. Mind blown.
Yep I've got one of those too. Except I keep mine in the trunk when I'm driving. I only flip it out when I'm parked in populated areas with shitty drivers (like all the fucking idiots in Flushing).

I also have a small rubber bumper license plate frame on the front. Helps a bit for assholes who back straight into me when parking. Already witnessed one Honda parked up against my front bumper. Would've cracked something if I didnt have the rubber plate frame. When I let off the parking brake in my car, it rolled backwards away from the Honda.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 AM   #18
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Already witnessed one Honda parked up against my front bumper.
I couldn't do it, I'd take my emergency window punch tool and have a fucking field day with that guy's car.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 02:02 AM   #19
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
I couldn't do it, I'd take my emergency window punch tool and have a fucking field day with that guy's car.
It was in my usual parking garage, and I had to get an attendant to move the Honda due to the layout of the garage so that I could get out.

So I just keyed it a few times.
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #20
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
It was in my usual parking garage, and I had to get an attendant to move the Honda due to the layout of the garage so that I could get out.

So I just keyed it a few times.
How do you know the attendant didn't park it there and not the Honda owner?
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Da Breeze

Drives: 2014 subaru brz and forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
question arises again and again

I got a 2013 auto limited BRZ

i live in NYC with b2b traffic all day. My job requires lots of traveling so most of time im stuck in traffic.. i got a hole in my carpet under the brake pedal..because thats where my foot is most of the time.

New facelift is here, maybe time to trade in brz for a stick shift brz.

Would it be stupid for me to do so? Hows the wear and tear from stick brz in the situation i described above versus an automatic?
I broke down this fall and bought the Weather Tech floor mats. I actually like them better than carpet. It would take a while to wear a whole through those. I would tend to agree with those that recommend staying with an auto for that kind of traffic. A clutch won't make it any easier.
Da Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
Da Breeze

Drives: 2014 subaru brz and forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalli View Post
question arises again and again

I got a 2013 auto limited BRZ

i live in NYC with b2b traffic all day. My job requires lots of traveling so most of time im stuck in traffic.. i got a hole in my carpet under the brake pedal..because thats where my foot is most of the time.

New facelift is here, maybe time to trade in brz for a stick shift brz.

Would it be stupid for me to do so? Hows the wear and tear from stick brz in the situation i described above versus an automatic?
I broke down this fall and bought the Weather Tech floor mats. I actually like them better than carpet. It would take a while to wear a whole through those. I
would tend to agree with those that recommend staying with an auto for that kind of traffic. A clutch won't make it any easier.
Da Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #23
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
A clutch won't make it easier, but like @jawn said, either you want to drive the manual or don't. Traffic is irrelevant if you do. I believe this is the reason the take rate for a manual in this car far exceeds the industry standard.

OP, only you know if you really want to do the manual. I am 95% city driving and ok with it. Once traffic clears, it makes it worth the wait.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joyride86 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-26-2016), Ultramaroon (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #24
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by covance View Post
How do you know the attendant didn't park it there and not the Honda owner?
It was parked half ass'ed and crooked almost into another parking spot on the side. Attendant wouldn't do that simply because it makes their own job harder. Plus an attendant would care enough to at least move the car up a bit after hitting someone's bumper, in the interest of covering their own ass lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
I am 95% city driving and ok with it. Once traffic clears, it makes it worth the wait.
Mmm. Best feeling is when you're stuck on a highway where 3 lanes merge into one due to an accident, and then once you finally get to where the lanes open back up. Car in first gear, foot on the pedal, shoot into left lane and just go through the gears as you accelerate with nothing in front of you
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
covance (03-23-2016), jcw99 (03-26-2016), Joyride86 (03-22-2016), Ultramaroon (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #25
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Mmm. Best feeling is when you're stuck on a highway where 3 lanes merge into one due to an accident, and then once you finally get to where the lanes open back up. Car in first gear, foot on the pedal, shoot into left lane and just go through the gears as you accelerate with nothing in front of you
Strangly enough that was exactly what I was thinking about. Get out of my head man.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joyride86 For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (03-22-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #26
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't know if you're familiar with traffic in the GTA but there's some pretty heavy traffic here too in the afternoons. Everyone on the road is either leaving work from Toronto, or heading towards Toronto for the afternoon shift.

I've been caught in that traffic many times, it's really not all that bad with the manual, in fact you don't even notice that you're doing more work until you think about it.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #27
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
3 years with a manual FRS...over 10 years driving manual cars in NYC...i don't see the problem..People always say auto because of traffic. I personally don't have an issue and yea i drive mines almost everyday (daily is300 5mt for work and 86 after work during rush hour).
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
JoshD16FRS

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Has my first manual car for about a month now. Kind of scary the first day but I'm completely loving it and don't even want another automatic.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
JoshD16FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshD16FRS For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-26-2016)