follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I don't mind about the accessories. I want to get a nice set of competition grade pool balls and one of those aluminum racks anyways.

Is it true that Olhausen cushions don't need to be replaced?
It doesn't hurt to have a couple of sets of balls. I have a beater set for drunken visitors and a good set for serious play. The more beers involved or the younger the players the more ball that end up bouncing off the floor and you don't want to have that happen with the good ones.

The top line tables which of course include the Olhausen ones all use a high grade, pure rubber, bumper that other than physical damage (cuts, tears, etc) should last the life of the table without losing their bounce, shrinking or separating. The cheaper lines of table, including some top name manufactures (i.e. Brunswick) will use a rubber coated neoprene bumper that will eventually dry out and shrink. When new or only a few years old it is almost impossible to tell the difference but as they age there will be visible deformities along the length of the bumper and it will very obviously start to separate from the side of the table.
Picking a quality table can be rough since there are so many small manufactures that make several grades and even though they all look the same there can actually be some substantial differences.
Nevermore (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have bought used pool tables. Make sure the bumpers all are still bouncy. If they have become stiff the table will have a "dead" spot. Also, the thicker the slate the better. Take your time. I bought a sweet modern table that is black and chrome with grey felt for $700. I love it.

Make sure your room is big enough. My room is 24 x 14, and I only have a 8 foot table.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
I have bought used pool tables. Make sure the bumpers all are still bouncy. If they have become stiff the table will have a "dead" spot. Also, the thicker the slate the better. Take your time. I bought a sweet modern table that is black and chrome with grey felt for $700. I love it.

Make sure your room is big enough. My room is 24 x 14, and I only have a 8 foot table.
The worn out cushions is why I double checked on the Olhausen. I'm thinking to avoid that issue I'll just keep an eye out for something that shouldn't have problems, but there's not many Olhausen tables for sale. Most of what I'm seeing on Craigslist are brands I haven't heard of and finding reviews for pool tables is difficult. There are a few places that give minor write ups, but it's not information in high demand. Slate at least an inch thick is ideal, so it's number one on my question list.

As for room, that seems to be one of the trickiest things. I'm actually looking for a new place too, so I'd like to force myself to wait until then to get the table. But I'm noticing so many houses with "entertainment" rooms that are like 24'x11' for some reason. It's impossible to find less rectangular rooms.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
Tcoat

Quote:
The worn out cushions is why I double checked on the Olhausen. I'm thinking to avoid that issue I'll just keep an eye out for something that shouldn't have problems, but there's not many Olhausen tables for sale. Most of what I'm seeing on Craigslist are brands I haven't heard of and finding reviews for pool tables is difficult. There are a few places that give minor write ups, but it's not information in high demand. Slate at least an inch thick is ideal, so it's number one on my question list.

As for room, that seems to be one of the trickiest things. I'm actually looking for a new place too, so I'd like to force myself to wait until then to get the table. But I'm noticing so many houses with "entertainment" rooms that are like 24'x11' for some reason. It's impossible to find less rectangular rooms.
The odds of getting an Olhausen table with bad bumpers are pretty remote. Anything that is going to damage them is going to be obvious by sight or feel.

Yes table sales can be very regional but some of those custom one by the small manufacturers are actually really sweet. The easiest way to judge the quality of a table without knowing every single point to look at is to check if there is any particle or wafer board used in any part of it. If there is anything that is not real wood (even trim) then shy away from it as odds are there are other areas that were skimped on hidden away in the structure.

This is fun actually having a topic that I can claim to be an actual "expert" on for a change.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #19
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The odds of getting an Olhausen table with bad bumpers are pretty remote. Anything that is going to damage them is going to be obvious by sight or feel.

Yes table sales can be very regional but some of those custom one by the small manufacturers are actually really sweet. The easiest way to judge the quality of a table without knowing every single point to look at is to check if there is any particle or wafer board used in any part of it. If there is anything that is not real wood (even trim) then shy away from it as odds are there are other areas that were skimped on hidden away in the structure.

This is fun actually having a topic that I can claim to be an actual "expert" on for a change.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for an Olhausen. I've been reading stuff for days and all the arrows point to them.

I'll look into local tables more closely as I find them though, just to keep things open. Though I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy who's parents might be selling their table. It's either a Legacy, or an Olhausen. If it's the latter then I'll try and snag it.

I wish I had an eye for those things. I'm not sure looking around a table I'd be able to identify fake stuff.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for an Olhausen. I've been reading stuff for days and all the arrows point to them.

I'll look into local tables more closely as I find them though, just to keep things open. Though I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy who's parents might be selling their table. It's either a Legacy, or an Olhausen. If it's the latter then I'll try and snag it.

I wish I had an eye for those things. I'm not sure looking around a table I'd be able to identify fake stuff.
He has a bit of a bias since they sell new which is obvious by his repeated "it can be expansive" comments about fixing up used but shows what to look for pretty well.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcEYIIgxxCM"]How to Buy a Used Pool Table - YouTube[/ame]
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
Nevermore
Wayward Member

I'm not sure how useful dredging this thread back up will be with @Tcoat MIA, but I've had a change of plan regarding the pool table. Instead of hiding it in the basement, it can get a prominent location upstairs if it takes on the guise of a dining room table. Some searching has yielded a few options, but not very many. It might be too limited a market, but I'd like to try and find a fairly affordable one. It doesn't look like the big brands make this type of table specifically, though.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
this ones nice?

I need a TL/DR for this thread please
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #23
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I need a TL/DR for this thread please
Oh man that table's gaudy.

The short version is I've been trying to settle on a pool table because I've wanted one for a long time. This was an info gathering thread that pretty much was settled, with much help from Tcoat since he used to install them. I've resurrected it because instead of just a pool table, I actually need one that is also a dining room table.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #24
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Oh man that table's gaudy.

The short version is I've been trying to settle on a pool table because I've wanted one for a long time. This was an info gathering thread that pretty much was settled, with much help from Tcoat since he used to install them. I've resurrected it because instead of just a pool table, I actually need one that is also a dining room table.
I see. Could you not get a big piece of wood to fill the play area and have a thin lip on it that goes over the edges then throw a table cloth over it?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #25
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Quote:
I see. Could you not get a big piece of wood to fill the play area and have a thin lip on it that goes over the edges then throw a table cloth over it?
It's entirely possible, while not going that route, that such an item as a dining table top that fits any table most likely exists. And if I go that route, it would probably work well enough. But a pool table has a distinct look, while the tables designed as dining tables look like nothing more than an ordinary table.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #26
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
It's entirely possible, while not going that route, that such an item as a dining table top that fits any table most likely exists. And if I go that route, it would probably work well enough. But a pool table has a distinct look, while the tables designed as dining tables look like nothing more than an ordinary table.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  10.1 KB
http://www.snookersports.com/dining_snooker_table.html

So do I get a cookie for this one?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #27
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Used is a good idea and if you really want to save on cost get a more commercial model/style.

might want to look into majestic, heritage and palason if you can find them. You should definitely be able to find something sub or around 2k that looks decent and isn't fugly looking
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #28
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
No, no cookie because it's fugly
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-29-2016)