follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #57
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh and also the hydraulic hand brake and 1.5 way LSD turned up yesterday next drift day is booked for March so at least we've got a couple of months to get everything installed

AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
CxG (06-26-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #58
ChrisD

Engine isn't back yet, but we mounted the hydraulic hand brake (with a little bit of cutting to some of the transmission tunnel and gear shifter surround plastics, but not much). Just got to hook it up to the brake lines now

It was a tight fit but its pretty much perfect, just in the right place and just a few mm from catching on the seat or the centre console etc. As you can see though, we did have to cut a little notch out of the gear stick surround but its only on the lower half so its not very noticeable

AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits

Last edited by ChrisD; 01-10-2016 at 12:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
CxG (06-26-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #59
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who's building your engine Chris?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #60
Tim Radley

Drives: GT86, SQ5, RS3
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Great to see another UK build. Very few here doing this kind of work.
What cams and valve springs did you choose?
Have you fixed the problems in the cylinder head?
Did you bore it out and hone with torque plate to fix the twist in the stock bores?
Doesn't look like the bottom end parts have been balanced as I see no machining anywhere, why is this so?
Hope the engine builder is good, i've seen some real horror stories.
Please keep the updates coming
Old 01-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #61
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Great to see another UK build. Very few here doing this kind of work.
What cams and valve springs did you choose?
Have you fixed the problems in the cylinder head?
Did you bore it out and hone with torque plate to fix the twist in the stock bores?
Doesn't look like the bottom end parts have been balanced as I see no machining anywhere, why is this so?
Hope the engine builder is good, i've seen some real horror stories.
Please keep the updates coming
I looked at quite a few build threads on here and asked a few questions about what would need doing on the engine (and spoke to 2 separate engine builders who have both done GT86 builds before) - never heard of any of those issues you've mentioned... Care to elaborate on what these problems are?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #62
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelr32 View Post
Who's building your engine Chris?
I knew a guy who was a development engineer on the Audi R8 and RS engines and then worked at a tuning company building engines for British Superbikes and various high power cars. He's now starting his own company and he's doing this engine for me for a pretty good price while he's still getting everything set up for the new business. So far he's been really helpful, seems to know his stuff, and like I said its a decent price. Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, will see if we have any problems once it is back in the car, but so far so good.

Last edited by ChrisD; 01-12-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #63
Tim Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I looked at quite a few build threads on here and asked a few questions about what would need doing on the engine (and spoke to 2 separate engine builders who have both done GT86 builds before) - never heard of any of those issues you've mentioned... Care to elaborate on what these problems are?
This is why i said i hope it is someone good as plenty of "engine builders" miss loads of the flaws in production engines. The bores aren't prefectly straight with the heads bolted on, the cylinder heads have a couple of major flaws, there are plenty of other little flaws too.

Quote:
I knew a guy who was a design engineer on the Audi R8 and RS engines and then worked at a tuning company building engines for British Superbikes and various high power cars. He's now starting his own company called RE Performance (not to be confused with RE Performance Centre) and he's doing this engine for me for a pretty good price while he's still getting everything set up for the new business. So far he's been really helpful, seems to know his stuff, and like I said its a decent price. Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, will see if we have any problems once it is back in the car, but so far so good.
I know who that is as he worked for me for a while. He is not and never has been any kind of engine designer. I'll drop you a pm with my number. Just hope you don't end of with the kind of problems he left me with!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #64
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
I know who that is as he worked for me for a while. He is not and never has been any kind of engine designer. I'll drop you a pm with my number. Just hope you don't end of with the kind of problems he left me with!
I should have said development engineer not design engineer, my bad. He seems to know his stuff... but what you say is quite worrying

Last edited by ChrisD; 01-12-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #65
Tim Radley

Quote:
I should have said development engineer not design engineer, my bad. He seems to know his stuff... but what you say is quite worrying. Will give you a ring
No problem. I hope it works out well for you and if you do have any issues then don't hesitate to give me a call.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #66
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I gotta hand it to you @ChrisD. I saw this title, then read the first post and thought, oh great another "build thread" that is more of a dream list. But you man, are doin it. Way to go! building, tracking, wrecking, fixing and building. nice work!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
ChrisD (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #67
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I gotta hand it to you @ChrisD. I saw this title, then read the first post and thought, oh great another "build thread" that is more of a dream list. But you man, are doin it. Way to go! building, tracking, wrecking, fixing and building. nice work!
Thanks and yeah I hate it when people have all these unrealistic plans, but once I've got an idea I tend to end up doing it lol which doesn't always work out too well... but having a lot of fun with this car so far
Old 01-13-2016, 05:13 AM   #68
Nigelr32

Drives: '14 GT86 project, '13 GT86 DD
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hey Chris,

How do you intend to plumb the handbrake in? The 86 has a diagonally split system which uses the brakes to effectively give you all your driver aids. To use the single rear line and retain all the ABS/TC functionality you'll need to add a second pair of calipers.
If you're removing the ABS, then just ignore me and I'll go away..
Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #69
Tim Radley

Quote:
Did you order uprated pins for the CP's? Good discussion about them here. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=84897&page=5
Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #70
ChrisD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelr32 View Post
Hey Chris,

How do you intend to plumb the handbrake in? The 86 has a diagonally split system which uses the brakes to effectively give you all your driver aids. To use the single rear line and retain all the ABS/TC functionality you'll need to add a second pair of calipers.
If you're removing the ABS, then just ignore me and I'll go away..
Yeah we hit this stumbling block the other day... its a pain trying to keep ABS, keep stock cable hand brake, and have hydro hand brake too. The problem with mounting extra callipers is that all of the solutions I've seen for this require you to remove the cable drum brake that is used for the stock handbrake. Currently trying to find out exactly why some of them need the drum brake removing and hopefully we can find a workaround then.