follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2015, 01:26 AM   #29
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
@xxscaxx Thanks for this DIY. It made the fuel pump install fairly straightforward.

I do have a few questions about my install and if I did everything correctly. I ended up installing the Denso 260lph from Chris over at Speed by Design and purchasing a DW adapter kit from Summit Racing. The wiring harness worked perfectly and I used the OEM white collar with 2 o-rings. Everything seemed to be plug in play except for the fuel sock. The DW adapter kit from Summit Racing came with a short yellow sock that had a rigid plastic backbone inside of it that prevented me from bending/fitting it into the fuel canister assembly. However it did allow for the metal barbed ring and rubber black end cap to be used to secure the sock to the end of the fuel pump as per this DIY. On the other hand, the longer, white sock that came with the actual Denso fuel pump allowed me to fit the fuel pump assembly back into the canister assembly because the sock was much more flexible. But this longer, white Denso sock did not allow me to secure it to the new Denso fuel pump with the barbed metal ring and black rubber end cap. It is simply pressure fitted into the hole at the end of the fuel pump. It seems secure because I had to push fairly hard to get it pressure fitted but I'm concerned that it will eventually work itself loose. Also, since we've removed the clipping mechanism that held the OE fuel pump to the fuel pump assembly, how does our aftermarket pumps stay secured in the fuel pump assembly? I just sent Chris an email to ask him his thoughts but I thought I'd pick your collective brains as well. How did everyone else do theirs?

Bump to @Sportsguy83, @spdbydesign or anyone else who can confirm my install above. I'm the most concerned how the aftermarket fuel pump stays inside the fuel pump assembly since the clips/stock sock combo has been removed. Does the longer aftermarket pump push up against the fuel canister basket bottom which prevents it from slipping out? As you guys can tell, I'm trying not to take out the entire basket again and reek like gasoline again.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #30
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Bump to @Sportsguy83, @spdbydesign or anyone else who can confirm my install above. I'm the most concerned how the aftermarket fuel pump stays inside the fuel pump assembly since the clips/stock sock combo has been removed. Does the longer aftermarket pump push up against the fuel canister basket bottom which prevents it from slipping out? As you guys can tell, I'm trying not to take out the entire basket again and reek like gasoline again.
The FP is held inside the canister and in place by the pressure of the pump pushing down and the canister pushing up to stay clipped with the canister top part.

You should be fine with your installation.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #31
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I have not, but I was considering upgrading it eventually.

I have the same plans and currently run an E85 tune on track days. It makes sense to me to install the new fuel pump first and keep any issues you may have isolated from other modifications. At least 2 of the higher boost supercharger kits require a higher flow pump and injectors even for pump gas.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #32
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Would I need a retune if upgrading my pump?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #33
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY: Deastchwerks 265c Fuel Pump Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
The FP is held inside the canister and in place by the pressure of the pump pushing down and the canister pushing up to stay clipped with the canister top part.

You should be fine with your installation.

And what do you think of me pressure fitting the above longer white stock that came with the aftermarket Denso pump? Is that secure enough? This sock does not allow for the metal barb locking ring or black rubber end cap to be used like in the OP's DIY. I believe the OP is using a DW pump. Also, in FA20Club's fuel pump install YouTube video, he only uses the metal barb ring but no rubber end cap. I don't know which fuel pump he's using but the fitment seems questionable after the video because maybe the pump is even longer than the DW and speedbydesign Denso pumps.

Last edited by dj2020; 11-20-2015 at 10:45 AM.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerronesucks View Post
Would I need a retune if upgrading my pump?
No, as long as you only upgrade the pump, not the regulator.

Quote:
And what do you think of me pressure fitting the above longer white stock that came with the aftermarket Denso pump? Is that secure enough? This sock does not allow for the metal barb locking ring or black rubber end cap to be used like in the OP's DIY. I believe the OP is using a DW pump. Also, in FA20Club's fuel pump install YouTube video, he only uses the metal barb ring but no rubber end cap. I don't know which fuel pump he's using but the fitment seems questionable after the video because maybe the pump is even longer than the DW and speedbydesign Denso pumps.
As long as the pump does not move, which would allow fuel pressure to escape by the O-rings and would get you a lean condition, you will have no problems. The pump moving out of place or staying in place has to do with only one thing, the amount of force put into keeping it in place by the canister "tightness" itself.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (11-20-2015)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #35
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Ok so I got the 65c and installed it tonight and used OPs instructions not realizing the pump is different now. I ended up hammering on the white collar with a socket. I got it on there but holy shit now I'm scared I fucked something up or something will fuck up in the long run because it was a really tight fit. It seems to be running fine.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #36
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Great write up found it to have lots of good tips as thinking I might have a go at putting in my 260 L pump
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote