follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #15
Kamakanani0

Drives: Scion FRS (RAVEN)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll talk more later at work right now lol but check my Instagram for more detailing videos. Here's a clip of a long lasting year coating I got on my frs https://instagram.com/p/zTIhUMCAp2/

Philippians 4:13
Kamakanani0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #16
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Specifically what kind of paint correction?

Still waiting for @Kamakanani0 to chime in. If you're a DIY type, and your paint is really messed up, try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I detailed a friend's FX16, and it brought back the original white. Left side is after, right side is before.

This was after a wash and clay bar session:

And after using Ultimate Compound:

Bought the car new with dealer installed swirls. I managed to get some of it removed, but don't have the time to work on the entire car thoroughly. So looking for somebody who can do a good and thorough job for me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #17
KalbiCool88

I was using a PC + meguires 205 and 105 followed by P&S ultracoat.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Kamakanani0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
I was using a PC + meguires 205 and 105 followed by P&S ultracoat.

That's the best combo to remove swirls. Maybe try Menzerna FG400 it cuts better in my opinion then follow up with m205, paint should mostly be perfect. And a orange buff and shine pad for the cutting compound and then a polishing pad and you should be good

The Following User Says Thank You to Kamakanani0 For This Useful Post:
KalbiCool88 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #19
VMRamos

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakanani0 View Post
I'll talk more later at work right now lol but check my Instagram for more detailing videos. Here's a clip of a long lasting year coating I got on my frs https://instagram.com/p/zTIhUMCAp2/

I'm interested to get the paint scratches on my black BRZ removed. I'm too inexperienced to venture trying to fix them on a soft paint like ours. I do 2 bucket washes and different wash pads for upper and lower region, but previous owner left his mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VMRamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #20
KalbiCool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakanani0 View Post
That's the best combo to remove swirls. Maybe try Menzerna FG400 it cuts better in my opinion then follow up with m205, paint should mostly be perfect. And a orange buff and shine pad for the cutting compound and then a polishing pad and you should be good
It's just time and a lack of a private garage (I live in an apt complex in San Francisco) that's mainly the problem here.
The Following User Says Thank You to KalbiCool88 For This Useful Post:
Kamakanani0 (11-05-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #21
Kamakanani0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyBrzy View Post
Yeah. . . It's like half a day before the sealant cures. I used to wax my mustang once a month and it look amazing, but it didn't last long. That's why I was looking into a sealant, but I'll take a look at that 476s.

Appreciate all the info
Sealants are basically the new wax, So many of them out, and honestly best ones on my opinion are sonax polymer net shield, really easy application with that it's in a can and just spray on a applicator and wipe on wipe off. Also another great sealant is garry deans juice boost even easier because you can put it in your wash bucket and it'll seal as you wash then your done . And igreenlovers poly coat or Quartz is the bomb coatings easy to apply and shine is crazily enhanced

Old 11-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,861 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Bought the car new with dealer installed swirls. I managed to get some of it removed, but don't have the time to work on the entire car thoroughly. So looking for somebody who can do a good and thorough job for me.

Yeah, time is the killer. I don't have the time to detail my car often anymore, but I'd rather use the excuse of being more water conservative.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
Kamakanani0 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
KalbiCool88

Quote:
Yeah, time is the killer. I don't have the time to detail my car often anymore, but I'd rather use the excuse of being more water conservative.
Yeah I keep telling myself that too, but I just look at my car and I die on the inside seeing the condition that it's in.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,861 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I keep telling myself that too, but I just look at my car and I die on the inside seeing the condition that it's in.
Same here, especially since I don't have a garage. I just detailed mine not too long ago, and was going to wash it today, but it may rain on Sunday and Monday...don't want to waste my effort, time, and water only to have it get dirty again in a few days.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Drives: 1997 Subaru Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Just a little bit confused, new to the detailing thing. Is polish the same as sealant?

I guess I'll shoot down to autozone and check out these products out. I have amazon prime so might just order it, if it's cheaper lol.

Also anyone have feedback on Chemical Guys stuff?
Polish and sealants are two different products.

Compounds and polishes are used for paint correction. They are abrasive and are used to "level" the paint. Compounds are usually more aggressive than polishes. Think of them as liquid sandpaper.

Sealants and waxes are not paint correction products. They have no abrasiveness. They are protection products. You apply them to the paint to keep the paint protected. Think of it like this car is to wax/sealant, as skin is to sunscreen.

There are hybrid products out there where you have polish/sealant as one product, often referred to as AIO (All-in-one). They won't be able to do more aggressive correction (like compounds) but it will be able to do some light paint correction, and seal the paint at the same time.

The difference between wax and sealant is not a whole lot. Sealants are typically longer lasting, but don't quite give off the same "glow" as wax does. Though, this is always changing. Sealants are typically synthetic, where wax is organic based. Waxes uses some level of carnauba as the base. What you use is really up to you. If you are living somewhere warm/hot, it is usually better to use sealants as it is more durable and lasts longer. However, there are things you can do to make your wax just as durable (like 2 layers of wax instead of one). You could also include a premium coating (OptiCoat, CQuartz) in this category also. Coatings are pretty much sealants on steroids, but require a bit more attention/work to apply.

As for Chemical Guys. I think their stuff is mediocre/junk. There's certainly stuff that's decent, but not great, but most are far from the refined product they claim to have. Hype. There's nothing wrong with a lot of the stuff. Car wash is car wash. Tire dressing is tire dressing. All purpose cleaner is all purpose cleaner. The great thing about CG is that their volume products (1 gallon) sizes are hard to beat at the price.

Just being devil's advocate, if their stuff is so good... why do they have like 4 or 5 versions of every type of products?
darkonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #26
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Quote:
Anyone here does paint correction?
I have some experience with paint correction. What would you like to know?
The Following User Says Thank You to darkonion For This Useful Post:
KalbiCool88 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Quote:
Looking to get my car detailed if anyone has a recommendation. Claybar, sealant, wax, etc. Want a protective coat for this winter since it's my daily driver and the paint is looking a little dull.

Or if anyone knows a of a good detail kit, I'll do it myself.

I'm located in Antioch

Thanks.
Just my two cents. If you want to do a really good job getting your car detailed, it is just cheaper to take it to someone and have it professionally done up. Once you get factor in your materials and equipment costs + a cost for your time, it's just about the same or more than going to a detailer. I am sure there are people here who can detail.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #28
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Quote:
Think of polish as, umm, a polish. It'll make your paint more vibrant. Only works for darker colors.
Almost correct. Compounds and polishes work for all type of colors. These products address many things, like faded paint, oxidation, water spots, micro scratches, swirls, etc.

Lighter colored (white/silver) cars don't show imperfections as much, but still can benefit from paint correction.
The Following User Says Thank You to darkonion For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (11-04-2015)