follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #29
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman View Post
Not gonna lie, it really annoys me! Makes me realize how "cheap" the car is lol. But I don't care enough to change my car. Just make the car louder

Cheap? What do you mean by that? It's not a Accent. You car was made to fit a certain price point and to appeal to a certain segment. If you wanted something not as "cheap" why didn't you go for a Z, Mustang, or Camaro?

If you mean by cutting corners with less sound deadening then either do it yourself or forget any car in the 20k range. Everything that goes into a car's manufacture (down to the screws) affects its mileage and most importantly the price and car manufacturers will look into any cost savings method to keep prices low and profits high.

When I hear cheap I thing flimsy, manufacturing blemishes, no features, unreliable, hard as diamonds interior plastics, poor fit & finish. These are things I have not encountered on my FR-S. It's no Lexus RC-F by any means but at the same time it give me the opportunity to save up for RC-F (or better) in the next couple of years.

BTW- my FR-S is cricket free for close to a year, if you think crickets (that eventually go away and are usually noticeable while idling at a drive through) is annoying listen to the constant ticket of other cars with direct injection.

-Not a fanboy (not particular loyal to any brand they all have their issues) but realistic because I do my research.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (09-04-2015), Tcoat (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #30
Rota

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Mine make me self-conscious in drive-thrus.
Rota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rota For This Useful Post:
Bamsterman (09-04-2015), SVTSHC (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #31
Bamsterman

Drives: 13' Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
Cheap? What do you mean by that? It's not a Accent. You car was made to fit a certain price point and to appeal to a certain segment. If you wanted something not as "cheap" why didn't you go for a Z, Mustang, or Camaro?

If you mean by cutting corners with less sound deadening then either do it yourself or forget any car in the 20k range. Everything that goes into a car's manufacture (down to the screws) affects its mileage and most importantly the price and car manufacturers will look into any cost savings method to keep prices low and profits high.

When I hear cheap I thing flimsy, manufacturing blemishes, no features, unreliable, hard as diamonds interior plastics, poor fit & finish. These are things I have not encountered on my FR-S. It's no Lexus RC-F by any means but at the same time it give me the opportunity to save up for RC-F (or better) in the next couple of years.

BTW- my FR-S is cricket free for close to a year, if you think crickets (that eventually go away and are usually noticeable while idling at a drive through) is annoying listen to the constant ticket of other cars with direct injection.

-Not a fanboy (not particular loyal to any brand they all have their issues) but realistic because I do my research.
Dude...chill out. Just because its a cheap car, doesn't mean I'm saying its a bad car. Not a cheap piece of shit, just a cheaply built car.
Bamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #32
Canadian Greg

Drives: Black 2013 fr-s
I feel for all who suffer from this annoyance.
I am very pleased to have never had a chirp in 2 1/2 years.
Petro Can 94 is all I've ever used. And will continue to do so.
Canadian Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #33
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Can't hear them over the sweet sweet burble of the UEL + headerback exhaust. They must not be there.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #34
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post

Lol!

I have many "cheap" cut arounds on this car.

Like our hoods not lining up straight if anyone has ever noticed that (seriously! look at your hood and look at the gap on both sides). Easily peelable clearcoat, not to mention the bumper that just sags over time. Dont get me started on the headunit.

But I still love the car
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #35
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rota View Post
Mine make me self-conscious in drive-thrus.
I know that feel, when I'm idling I can hear them over my exhaust. It's alright though, I just use drive-thrus at night now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Can't hear them over the sweet sweet burble of the UEL + headerback exhaust. They must not be there.
This lol.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTSHC For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #36
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I only hear them when stationary.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Lol!

I have many "cheap" cut arounds on this car.

Like our hoods not lining up straight if anyone has ever noticed that (seriously! look at your hood and look at the gap on both sides). Easily peelable clearcoat, not to mention the bumper that just sags over time. Dont get me started on the headunit.

But I still love the car
My hood lines up perfect. My clear coat is just fine. After 40k miles my bumper is firmly in place even after a winter of playing snowplow. Just because you or others complain does not mean we all have these issues.
The car is built light and with that there are some compromises. This does not mean they are cheaply made.
DAEMANO (09-04-2015), dnieves (09-05-2015), Mim (09-04-2015), Mini&aVette (09-04-2015), SisterBlue22 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #38
NedVargar

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
I got crickets and had the service done, only to have them come back again. I started using pure "non-ethanol" gas, and the crickets went away.

I went on a road trip this summer and couldn't find pure gas. The crickets came back. After I got home I went through a tank of pure gas and they've gone away agin.
NedVargar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #39
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Mine went away after I installed the exhaust lol

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #40
Tcoat

BTW
Cricket thread #1,236 I believe.
dnieves (09-05-2015), MisterSheep (09-04-2015), MokSpeed (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #41
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman View Post
Not gonna lie, it really annoys me! Makes me realize how "cheap" the car is lol. But I don't care enough to change my car. Just make the car louder

This isn't the only car that suffers from crickets. It's simply the design of Toyota's HPFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
BTW
Cricket thread #1,236 I believe.

#1275. I'm sorry @Tcoat your math was off. You are forgiven.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
This isn't the only car that suffers from crickets. It's simply the design of Toyota's HPFP.

#1275. I'm sorry @Tcoat your math was off. You are forgiven.
I was going by memory so was just ball parking anyway.