follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #309
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Disconnect them. Don't run the coolant lines through the TB anymore, and run the high side straight to the front connection in the front of the motor where the coolant line of the TB went into, and the low side to the rear of the car where that other line from the TB connects to (its the backside pipe on the driver side of the motor). Thats how I did it at least. You can tee into the lines but you are just introducing 4 more possible leak points. The coolant is ran through the TB for emissions/cold starts but honestly I did the TB Coolant "delete" on my old STi and ran it for years without any issues in the cold. And you don't need to worry about the cold anyways lol.

I'm pretty sure this is what JDL suggests as well, when I talked with them they never mentioned teeing into those lines.
Can't visualize it lol. I know off the top of my head TB has a line on the side(from pass side) and the little loop right in front of it. As per JDL instructions the side hose is cold water so that goes to inlet(low side turbo) then the return would be the lower of the two barbs in front? I'm also bypassing the coolant on the TB as my winters are 60f lol.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #310
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Can't visualize it lol. I know off the top of my head TB has a line on the side(from pass side) and the little loop right in front of it. As per JDL instructions the side hose is cold water so that goes to inlet(low side turbo) then the return would be the lower of the two barbs in front? I'm also bypassing the coolant on the TB as my winters are 60f lol.
Yes correct - a line on the side, and a line in front. Instead of that line connecting into the throttle body (on both sides), follow them back to the motor side and disconnect them, then connect the coolant lines there.

The line closer to the rad is the low side (since its "lower" being angled the way it is). High side is closer to the motor. I am not sure if I have a pic but I will check.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
yomny (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #311
yomny

Quote:
Yes correct - a line on the side, and a line in front. Instead of that line connecting into the throttle body (on both sides), follow them back to the motor side and disconnect them, then connect the coolant lines there.

The line closer to the rad is the low side (since its "lower" being angled the way it is). High side is closer to the motor. I am not sure if I have a pic but I will check.
Ohh always though they would T or something to the actual lines, so we plug the turbo line directly to the source. I see, even though I don't physically lol. Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #312
xxscaxx

Quote:
Ohh always though they would T or something to the actual lines, so we plug the turbo line directly to the source. I see, even though I don't physically lol. Thanks
Yeah I believe thats how FBM does it or some other kits, they T in. I don't see the point though unless you are adamant at keeping the stock coolant lines flowing through the TB. Putting a tee in creates so many more areas for potential leaks.
djezlee (05-20-2019)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #313
yomny

Quote:
Yeah I believe thats how FBM does it or some other kits, they T in. I don't see the point though unless you are adamant at keeping the stock coolant lines flowing through the TB. Putting a tee in creates so many more areas for potential leaks.
Agreed, I like the cleaner method best.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #314
xxscaxx

Quote:
Agreed, I like the cleaner method best.
The only thing is the lines provided from JDL are slightly oversized for the outlets...they provide those squeeze clamps which is fine for the front line, but theres no good way to tighten that thing in the back while using the proper tool (unless they make smaller ones, the one I had I couldn't fit back there). I used a fuel injection clamp in the back that I could tighten down with a ratchet. I was also lazy and didn't want to drain all the coolant out so if you don't be prepared as when you pull that back line off it will start throwing coolant out rather quickly lol. The front you don't have to really worry about, not too much comes out.
yomny (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #315
yomny

Quote:
The only thing is the lines provided from JDL are slightly oversized for the outlets...they provide those squeeze clamps which is fine for the front line, but theres no good way to tighten that thing in the back while using the proper tool (unless they make smaller ones, the one I had I couldn't fit back there). I used a fuel injection clamp in the back that I could tighten down with a ratchet. I was also lazy and didn't want to drain all the coolant out so if you don't be prepared as when you pull that back line off it will start throwing coolant out rather quickly lol. The front you don't have to really worry about, not too much comes out.
I was just about to ask, where the hell does that rear coolant like come from lol, seems to go under the intake manifold. I'm thinking of attaching a barbed coupler to connect it to at least that rear line, want to be able to tighten it good. The front line(coolant return) seems pretty straight forward.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #316
xxscaxx

Quote:
I was just about to ask, where the hell does that rear coolant like come from lol, seems to go under the intake manifold. I'm thinking of attaching a barbed coupler to connect it to at least that rear line, want to be able to tighten it good. The front line(coolant return) seems pretty straight forward.
You could definitely barb it, but its really not bad. It snakes under the Intake manifold and connects to a black hardline pipe on the rear of the motor on the driver side. Its a little tight there but completely doable to get the line on there. I had to remove that line with the Innovate supercharger to use their supplied line, then switched it back when I took it off, then took it off again after I ran the coolant line from the turbo to it
yomny (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #317
yomny

Quote:
You could definitely barb it, but its really not bad. It snakes under the Intake manifold and connects to a black hardline pipe on the rear of the motor on the driver side. Its a little tight there but completely doable to get the line on there. I had to remove that line with the Innovate supercharger to use their supplied line, then switched it back when I took it off, then took it off again after I ran the coolant line from the turbo to it
Thanks for the help, it really helps to put things into perspective. I'll take a look at it and prob just do what you did. You seem to have plenty of experience with the area lol
xxscaxx (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #318
xxscaxx

Quote:
Thanks for the help, it really helps to put things into perspective. I'll take a look at it and prob just do what you did. You seem to have plenty of experience with the area lol
Its one of those things that when you look at it you are like "....oh!". You are like me and when something isn't in front of you, you want to know exactly how it goes on and end up over analyzing it

If you look back to @erok81 post you can see how each line is ran to each spot to give a general idea of where they go.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=258
Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #319
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Disconnect them. Don't run the coolant lines through the TB anymore, and run the high side straight to the front connection in the front of the motor where the coolant line of the TB went into, and the low side to the rear of the car where that other line from the TB connects to (its the backside pipe on the driver side of the motor). Thats how I did it at least. You can tee into the lines but you are just introducing 4 more possible leak points. The coolant is ran through the TB for emissions/cold starts but honestly I did the TB Coolant "delete" on my old STi and ran it for years without any issues in the cold. And you don't need to worry about the cold anyways lol.

I'm pretty sure this is what JDL suggests as well, when I talked with them they never mentioned teeing into those lines.
I seem to know someone who used that same exact route, oh yeah it was me. Definitely easier than struggling to get some T fittings in that area with the throttle body mounted and it looks much cleaner.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #320
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I seem to know someone who used that same exact route, oh yeah it was me. Definitely easier than struggling to get some T fittings in that area with the throttle body mounted and it looks much cleaner.
I actually thought it was you, I remember reading your post somewhere lol. Didn't want to call you in though as I wasn't 100%. Thanks for the clarity.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #321
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
FBM actually uses the craziest looking brass fitting I have ever seen with like 4 nipples on it. Not to mention the hose you are cutting is not very long and not very easy to access.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #322
xxscaxx

Quote:
FBM actually uses the craziest looking brass fitting I have ever seen with like 4 nipples on it. Not to mention the hose you are cutting is not very long and not very easy to access.
Yeah that was my concern as well..plus I don't like cutting things that you can't return to stock.. lol. I am actually really annoyed at myself I cut the stock bumper beam. I didn't realize JDL made an aftermarket crash beam or I would have just done that and left the stock one alone.

Quoting just for reference on your post I came across regarding the lines.

Quote:
This. I ran mine with the FBM fitting for a month or two, but when I pulled my intake manifold I decided to simplify my coolant for the turbo by removing the throttle body cooling completely and using the coolant for the turbo only. I don't see how they could tell how much coolant was getting to the turbo just by looking at it.