follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #1625
ChrisV

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastWhite View Post
Practice makes perfect. I have the AT, so shifting is easy, BUT, this is the only spot I have issue with the AT. It would be better I think to have the paddles fixed on the column. Plus you have to hit 4000 rpm BEFORE you are able to downshift. So until you can master this skill, you end up slowing down too much. If you hit it right on, you can gain a half a second. Shifting 2-3-2 is easy, 2-1 is what needs to mastered, for me.
Otherwise I do good. And I have fun.
Heel/toe technique helps immensely. I bought pedal covers so I could set up for heel/toe. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you heel/toe-ing an automatic?
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #1626
FastWhite

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, interesting that you brought that up. I know a lot of people will be interested in the answer. A very fascinating subject. !!!!!!!!
Hmmmm were to begin..........
How about I left foot brake. No not the same. It was when I had my STI, I was never happy with the pedal placement. So I put the pedal covers on. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FastWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #1627
MonoRaven

Drives: 2014 Monogram Raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm wanting to get into STX (probably starting next year) and want to get my car set up before hand. I have read about half this thread and my head is spinning though I have really learned a lot.
Right now my wheels are too wide so new wheels and tires are first on my list, thinking 17x9 245/40, RPF1's and DZ2's or R-S3's if I can swing it.
I also want to upgrade my brakes because they just feel kinda soft. Not sure if I can swing a BBK and was thinking at least braided lines.
So a question, the rules state: B. Brake lines may be substituted with alternate DOT-approved flexible brake lines
Does this mean that steel braided lines are OK? If so, are the Goodridge lines DOT approved? or are there better lines out there?
Also is anyone using the Stop-Tech brake upgrade kit? and if so is it worth it?
I have Apexi NV1 EXV coilovers with 6K/6K rates. Do you think these are OK or should I think about going with something else.

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm just trying to get an idea of where I am and where I need to go before I get started.
I'm just getting into it for fun and not really comp but if I really like it, it will probably lead to comp.

Thanks in advance and to everyone who has already posted here, it has helped a lot so far!
RTR (07-02-2015), Vinnito1 (07-11-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #1628
RTR

Drives: monogram raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoRaven View Post
I'm wanting to get into STX (probably starting next year) and want to get my car set up before hand. I have read about half this thread and my head is spinning though I have really learned a lot.
Right now my wheels are too wide so new wheels and tires are first on my list, thinking 17x9 245/40, RPF1's and DZ2's or R-S3's if I can swing it.
I also want to upgrade my brakes because they just feel kinda soft. Not sure if I can swing a BBK and was thinking at least braided lines.
So a question, the rules state: B. Brake lines may be substituted with alternate DOT-approved flexible brake lines
Does this mean that steel braided lines are OK? If so, are the Goodridge lines DOT approved? or are there better lines out there?
I have Apexi NV1 EXV coilovers with 6K/6K rates. Do you think these are OK or should I think about going with something else.

I know it's a lot of questions but I'm just trying to get an idea of where I am and where I need to go before I get started.
I'm just getting into it for fun and not really comp but if I really like it, it will probably lead to comp.

Thanks in advance and to everyone who has already posted here, it has helped a lot so far!
For autocross you honestly shouldn't need more than pads. I use stop tech street performance pads and haven't had any issues. I'm on Z2 star specs but I'm hearing they are quickly becoming outdated. I did make sure and get a +35 offset with wheels in case I ever decide to get a bbk. Just something to keep in mind, if you're considering a bbk at some point, make sure it will fit behind your wheel choice.
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RTR For This Useful Post:
MonoRaven (07-08-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #1629
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

You don't need more than fluid and pads.Yes it's legal to swap lines. I've heard great things about spiegler lines and they are dot approved. But honestly I don't think lines will make a noticeable difference at all, save the money for track time.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #1630
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hey there.. couple of things:
What level of competition are you going for???
-Goodrich lines are legal as they 'are' DOT.
I am running the Stop Tech Kit.. saved about 26lbs over the stockers. (2 pc Rotors/lighter Calipers) You can save some money by just doing a fluid change, upgrade the lines and pads to ones that 'bite' a bit better than stock. There are National level competitors that are still on the stock Brake System..except the a-for-mentioned fluid/lines and pad upgrade.. The current Generation of street tires are a bit better than the ones you mentioned.. Bridgestone RE71's and BFG Rival 'S' seem to be leading the way..
- your coilovers seem ok.. but you won't know till you get it on-course to see how it feels to you.. since you have them already.. try them out and see if they work for you.. Don't be afraid to turn the knobs.. ..STX is great, Fun class. with excellent competition..

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
MonoRaven (07-08-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #1631
MonoRaven

Not really looking for competition right now, just want to go have some fun, learn my car and learn how to drive it better. Maybe comp later after i get all the basics down.
Thanks everyone for the advice on the brakes, guess some good pads and a fluid change should fit my needs right now. I'm just looking ahead, I just had rotator cuff surgery last week so I won't be ready for a couple of months so I will probably just wait til next year. That will give me time to get new wheels and tires and anything else I need.
I will look into those tires, I just mentioned the Z2's and R-S3's because I read a lot about them in this thread but that was early in this thread. I've got time, I don't want to rush into this, want to make sure I have all my cones in a row (before I go knock them all down)!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #1632
RedBRZ80

Drives: 2013 Red BRZ
Garage
STX is where some great action is. I was second fastest raw time at last event.. And didn't even win my class.. STX BRZs were 1/2 overall. Can't beat it.
RedBRZ80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #1633
RTR

Drives: monogram raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBRZ80 View Post
STX is where some great action is. I was second fastest raw time at last event.. And didn't even win my class.. STX BRZs were 1/2 overall. Can't beat it.
Damn I've got to learn how to drive lol. My region is dominated by an evo, a few miatas, Z, and a couple BMWs. Anything I can read? I know seat time is #1 but there has to be a few good resources for learning more about momentum driving.
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #1634
MonoRaven

Scooby, you mentioned the BFG Rival S but what do you know about the BFG G-Force Rival (2013 production)? Tirerack has them on sale for $50 less (ea) than the Rival S. Looks like a great deal if they are worth it.

edit: I just read the reviews on Tirerack and they don't really sound too good.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #1635
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Scooby, you mentioned the BFG Rival S but what do you know about the BFG G-Force Rival (2013 production)? Tirerack has them on sale for $50 less (ea) than the Rival S. Looks like a great deal if they are worth it.

edit: I just read the reviews on Tirerack and they don't really sound too good.
First Generation Rival...harder compound.."S" stands for "soft"
if your learning...go with what you can afford.. like the RS3's or DZ2's..Both of those are alot more competitive than the first Gen BFG...

Bill
MonoRaven (07-08-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #1636
MonoRaven

So I finally finished reading all 75 pages and 1639 posts in this thread and I have learned quite a lot. Thanks to everyone who posted here!
A few questions on rules that I didn't see come up:
1) TRD Quick Shifter Kit...Is it legal?
2) Sound tube delete....Is it legal?
3) Antenna delete....Is it legal?

Just a few things I've already done which are easily reversible, just wondering if I need to or not.
BlaineWasHere (07-05-2015), fstlane (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #1637
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
So I finally finished reading all 75 pages and 1639 posts in this thread and I have learned quite a lot. Thanks to everyone who posted here!
A few questions on rules that I didn't see come up:
1) TRD Quick Shifter Kit...Is it legal?
2) Sound tube delete....Is it legal?
3) Antenna delete....Is it legal?

Just a few things I've already done which are easily reversible, just wondering if I need to or not.
Shifter....Yes
Sound tube delete...Yes
Antenna delete...Yes..

All legal modifications

Bill
MonoRaven (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #1638
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Mono, have you autocrossed at all? If not, absolutely by far and away, spend money on seat time and instruction first. You can build the ever living crap out of your car and make it something serious guys would drool over getting their hands on, and be outrun by a talented driver in a stock '91 Toyota Corolla. My suggestion (again, if you haven't autocrossed much) is to go to an SCCA Starting Line school. You'll get fantastic novice instruction and lots of seat time. Then go to as many events as you can and ask for help. Doing a school and 3 local events will be $400 out of your pocket and will shave 3-4 second minimum off your run times if you're new. Going from Rivals to Rival S's if you're new probably won't shave you any time at all because mistakes will be costing you more than the tires are gaining you. Just my $.02. And can't wait to see you in STX coming up!
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
MonoRaven (07-08-2015), Scooby South (07-08-2015)