follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Eighty

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota 86 Full blown premium turbo kit - daily?

First post here and very excited to learn from all the experts and BRZ/FR-S veterans. Okay, so here's my story. A lot of insignificant details so please bare with me.

Earlier this year I sold my Lexus LX 570 and bought a used F10 M5. The intention was to prep it for some (semi annual) track use. I put on an FIE exhaust and almost tuned it and wanted to get a nice set of wheels. At that time I realized I needed a nice daily driver and found a 2013 Toyota 86 for an incredible price. So I pulled the trigger and I'm loving the car so far. My only gripe was the lack of power and when the opportunity to buy a full blow premium turbo kit from a friend, I went ahead and did the upgrade. I ended up blowing my M5 mods money on the 86 and I'm very happy with the result. The M5 is my daily drive and the 86 will be my track car. So far I have on a set of OZ wheels, APR carbon fiber body kit, rocket bunny wing, turbo, Pistons, rods, upgraded brakes and clutch. I started off with a 7 psi set up and now it's back in for the pistons and rods install. my friend managed to pull 400whp with the same set up. It's still in the garage and I expect it out sometime next week.

I asked my tuner to have more than 1 map tuned for daily driving, drag and racing. I wonder if I went too far and whether I should of stuck with an NA setup if I wanted to enjoy the car more. I have the M for when I go out with my wife and kids, for work and for more of a relaxed ride. However, I would still like to use the Toyota on weekends and for more casual trips. I would like to hear from those who chose the turbo root. Do you use the car as your daily driver? Any concerns? Can I drive it to work and in traffic. I'm in Kuwait where it's over 50 degrees Centigrade during summer. I really don't want to park it until it's winter and its track time.

The only photo I could find.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  158.1 KB

Last edited by Eighty; 06-24-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Welcome aboard. Except for the wing, that's the look that I want to achieve. Nice color and nicely done.

So far, in my experience, tons of power is overrated. This car was designed around balanced handling and does this very well. When on a road course getting waved by, by a Corvette or Challenger, only means that the driver isn't at your level, but it feels real good. There are many videos to watch with this little machine outdoing machines infinitely more powerful in the curves. I can remember watching a Super Sport Motorcycle race where most riders were on modified 750's. But the most exciting rider was on a 600 and flying through the curves, passing without reservation. This little gem is much like that 600, no real power, but man can it handle.

If you live your life 1/4 mile at a time, build it. If you live for the ride, you won't need the power. Well, maybe a little more. Start with the header and exhaust, stay NA and keep the balance of the car. But you've already gone FI and changed the balance. I hope that this turns out the way you want it to.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Eighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post
Welcome aboard. Except for the wing, that's the look that I want to achieve. Nice color and nicely done.

So far, in my experience, tons of power is overrated. This car was designed around balanced handling and does this very well. When on a road course getting waved by, by a Corvette or Challenger, only means that the driver isn't at your level, but it feels real good. There are many videos to watch with this little machine outdoing machines infinitely more powerful in the curves. I can remember watching a Super Sport Motorcycle race where most riders were on modified 750's. But the most exciting rider was on a 600 and flying through the curves, passing without reservation. This little gem is much like that 600, no real power, but man can it handle.

If you live your life 1/4 mile at a time, build it. If you live for the ride, you won't need the power. Well, maybe a little more. Start with the header and exhaust, stay NA and keep the balance of the car. But you've already gone FI and changed the balance. I hope that this turns out the way you want it to.
Thanks. I guess to late to go back now so I just better make the most out of it. Without a real track around, I will mostly be doing quarter miles I guess until next winter when the track in Bahrain is back on and there are several events I plan to join.

About the wing, tell you the truth I wasn't too happy with the outcome either but the trunk is now drilled so it will stay for a while. might get a ducktail carbon fiber trunk to use as an alternative.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eighty For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty View Post
Thanks. I guess to late to go back now so I just better make the most out of it. Without a real track around, I will mostly be doing quarter miles I guess until next winter when the track in Bahrain is back on and there are several events I plan to join.

About the wing, tell you the truth I wasn't too happy with the outcome either but the trunk is now drilled so it will stay for a while. might get a ducktail carbon fiber trunk to use as an alternative.

I hear you, you will enjoy the track time regardless. The wing, well the back needs something just not sure what. Still, nice looking vehicle.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2015, 04:22 AM   #5
Eighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post
I hear you, you will enjoy the track time regardless. The wing, well the back needs something just not sure what. Still, nice looking vehicle.
Thanks, that's a sweet ride you have too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eighty For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (06-25-2015)