follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #2017
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Um... "it's not a stand alone os, it's an app" is what I've been saying.
You've been saying that you'd rather have a standalone option rather than being dependent on a phone. You've stated that the head unit is dumb and that you saw on The Verge and Android Central that a head unit that runs Android Auto is useless without a phone, which hopefully we can agree now doesn't have to be the case. Those links clearly show that Android Auto runs on QNX or Android, meaning that our units could run Android Auto if Ca-Fi added that functionality or if Google released the head unit side of the app. Right now it would only be possible to sideload if someone ripped the app off of another unit, like the Parrot RNB6 when it comes out.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #2018
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post

No, but really, solid links!
I'm gonna save this to post on your Facebook next time you're Internet fighting.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
phanguy (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #2019
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
With a rooted firmware can you change the icons on the carhome screen? This is one of the few things about the system that bugs me, all of the unsed icons and being almost forced to use the stock music player.
Are you talking about the launcher or the car home overlay that displays whenever you press the home key on stock Rom?

I don't know how to edit the overlay(although I'd like to).

If speaking of the stock launcher you have a few options iirc:
Use different launcher
Freeze/delete apps you don't use
Group useless icons into a folder
Rearrange most used apps to beginning of page/list
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #2020
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I'm not sure if this note worthy or not, but I've got llama installed and working well. I can now launch Poweramp by pressing the sd card icon on the car home screen. And if the car home screen is displayed for 15 seconds, as it's presently set, torque is automatically launched.

After reading through some of this thread I'm guessing most guys are using tasker to do those things. I've never used tasker but I am familiar with llama so I went with what I know.

The settings are simple enough: select events, + (to create an event), select conditions, active application, SDHC. Back out to save. Select action, run application, poweramp. Back out to save.

Next select + (to create another event) condition, tic Delay event and Cancel delayed if false, set the delay to 15 seconds or what ever you'd like. Back out to save. Select conditions, Active Application, car home. Back out to save. (I had two apps labeled as car home, of course the 50:50-90 rule kicked in. If you have a 50:50 chance, 90% of the time you get it wrong...) Select Add Action, Run Application, Torque. Back out to save.

You'll see a little icon of a lama in the status bar as llama will be running in the back if you want these to work. It's a light weight app though, so you shouldn't have to worry about it eating up resources.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks again for all of the help guys.
That is a great idea. I use llama and just house the notification.
I don't recall, can you export llama rules?
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #2021
petr

Drives: Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareim View Post
I tried this one the other day and it just stayed on the splash screen and wouldn't proceed any further, luckily I was able to flash another rooted firmware on but that seems to be buggy and I want to go back to a stable official build, can I ask how you rooted it so I can then root a stock image myself
Same here(
After flashing that fw I stuck at splash screen and was unable flash any other version (don't know why, flashing tool just didn't want to start). After couple of hours I was able to flash original non-root 03/18 fw and after that I flashed another rooted version of 03/18 with january kernel (https://yadi.sk/d/H_SLih3DguRbK). Now all works fine.
petr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #2022
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Are you talking about the launcher or the car home overlay that displays whenever you press the home key on stock Rom?

I don't know how to edit the overlay(although I'd like to).

If speaking of the stock launcher you have a few options iirc:
Use different launcher
Freeze/delete apps you don't use
Group useless icons into a folder
Rearrange most used apps to beginning of page/list
I was talking about the overlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
That is a great idea. I use llama and just house the notification.
I don't recall, can you export llama rules?
Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to play well after I upgraded the firmware. Everytime it switched over the stock app would start playing, then poweramp would start but it would take a good 5-10 seconds before it played cleanly.

But yes, you can export llama rules. I'm not 100% sure how, but I've done it with abdfire. I'm just not sure where abdfire puts the file, or what it looks like.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
DC2R (06-29-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #2023
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
This has turned into more of a rooting thread, but I've been considering the Dashlinq4 for a while, read through almost every post, but wanted to know are there any other android HU available that focus on app use like Waze?

I'm slightly concerned with some issues folks are reporting on this HU (nothing bad enough to make the price any less attractive though) and the fact that this may be the last one before a new model is developed.

I have an iPhone 6+, only use waze, spotify or hype machine when I'm in the car, Siri takes care of everything else through Bluetooth; so Android Auto and Apple Carplay are out of the question since neither ecosystems would work the way I need it to. I'd rather have waze up on the HU and not down on my phone, harder to look at then when it's on the dash (esp where I have it mounted, in front of the shifter - mount comes out of that useless little pocket lol).

I looked at the Pioneer stuff, the UIs look pretty poor IMO and the price is crazy high for not many features. Same with Alpine, and they use their own navi. Parrot would seem okay if only it had Waze integration. I don't plan on buying a tablet (already have an iPad mini and that's not gonna fit well) to do a custom install, so I'm feeling like I'm short on options. :/ Suggestions?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #2024
customyota

Drives: WRB BRZ
There are a number of HUs that run full android, unfortunately none of the big name manufacturers like pioneer, etc make one. The XDA forums have a dedicated android HU section where you can find out more about them.
This thread has one of the more supported units. It runs pretty much stock Android, without the overlays that the cafi unit has, so you can set it up to your liking. The one pictured is purely touch screen, with no hardware controls, but the Toyota universal model has controls very similar to the cafi unit.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...arpad-t2865525

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
customyota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to customyota For This Useful Post:
petr (06-26-2015), The_Understated (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #2025
Kevinn

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Black, Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by customyota View Post
There are a number of HUs that run full android, unfortunately none of the big name manufacturers like pioneer, etc make one. The XDA forums have a dedicated android HU section where you can find out more about them.
This thread has one of the more supported units. It runs pretty much stock Android, without the overlays that the cafi unit has, so you can set it up to your liking. The one pictured is purely touch screen, with no hardware controls, but the Toyota universal model has controls very similar to the cafi unit.

Do you have the link for the Toyota Universal Model?
Kevinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #2026
JERM^

Drives: WRB BRZ Aozora 15'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Read somewhere that RNB6 might have been dropped and never released. Considering how this unit has released for the 2nd year now, any other better alternatives yet? Possibly running Lollipop?
JERM^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #2027
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think the Dashlinq is one of the few Android HU's with physical buttons. That was one of the major contributing factors for me getting it. If that wasn't the case, I would've probably looked at the pioneer option a bit more closely.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #2028
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by customyota View Post

Thanks for this! Pretty much what I was looking for, plus rooted out of the box so tweaking stuff shouldn't be a problem. Seems to be lots of support for it as well so I'm happy to see that. Shipping will be costly for the Newsmy Carpad NU3001, but at $345 for the 2GB RAM model it makes up for that.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #2029
customyota

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinn View Post
Do you have the link for the Toyota Universal Model?
No link, but search eonon 5167. It's a different manufacturer I think, but the same firmware. All the Chinese units have interchangeable firmware for the most part, just the mcu is specific to the device.

customyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #2030
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
News!

Quote:
Hello again,

last week we started to ship the very last batch of Dashlinq4. Everybody who has placed an order will received the unit soon. Meanwhile many of you asked us what's next? Is there a Dashlinq5 coming after the 4th generation; and when?

So, what's next? The known Dashinq4 hardware becomes a new firmware and an overall new designed GUI and will be launched with an expanded model range such as 10 inch screens and full touch screen models under the name Dashlinq CT. All previous models of Dashinq4, such as the units suitable for Toyota etc. will be available soon with the launch of Dashlinq CT. More detailed informatios about the new software coming soon.
http://ca-fi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4763
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SilverlightPony For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-30-2015), ChrisD (07-01-2015), Kevinn (06-30-2015), petr (06-30-2015), Pwolf (06-30-2015), The_Understated (06-30-2015)