follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
elbrohombre

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suggestions?

Hey all, new to posting but been lurking on here for a while now. I just wanted to get a few suggestions from some of you guys and gals.
I'll be buying a new white Scion FRS within the month and just wanted to get a list going on what I wanted to change. Some things to keep in mind, it will be my daily driver, and I commute in non stop traffic so I will be going with the auto. I'm not going for any major ugrades or mods, just a few things that would make it look cleaner.
Anyways before this gets too long, not much of a list but this is what I got
-TRD Wheels (personally think they look really good)
-not much of a mod or anything but tinted windows
-BeatSonic Shark fin
-worth getting an exhaust?
Any other input/suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!
elbrohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
SleePi

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do what you want with your car is going to be what people say.

I personally started out with small mods.. and the mod bug bit me and it's bad.

I would personally get different wheels versus TRD, just because of the price and size specs of the wheels.
SleePi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SleePi For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
If I were to do it all over again, I'd do suspension mods before anything else, and buy quality parts the first time, so that I'm not buying parts twice.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
8R6 (04-10-2015), JARE_ee (04-10-2015), Jyn (04-09-2015), Tcoat (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
elbrohombre

Drives: None
When you say suspension mods, just the standard lowering kit? I'm no car guru, forgot to that throw in there. Very very basic terminology for me haha
elbrohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
StormTrooper305

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo)
i have a white frs too and looove the look i gave it when i plasti dipped the emblems, the frs sign, the 86 logo on the sides, and the license plate frame. personally not a fan of chrome.

i think its super clean. (everything on my car is stock)
StormTrooper305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My suggestion is to take a look at other peoples build threads and cars see what you like. Also do a lot more research theirs a couple of threads that give plenty of great first mods to do.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
CrispyCheddar (04-09-2015), Tcoat (04-09-2015), Wolfdogelite (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
If you are buying new (a 2015), it already comes with a shark fin antenna. Exhaust will work for sound, it generally does not make much power (3-5 hp). Versus a drop in air filter, which is ~5 hp.
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd just drive it for a while. With some seat time under your belt, you will start leaning towards or away from mods.

I'm still on the fence about lowering it for instance. Hate the wheel gap, but love not caring about scraping on driveways or speed humps. Also quite happy with the quality of ride and don't want to mess with it.

In the end the first thing I did was made sure to get floor mats and a boot mat. And the only real mod so far was a full audio upgrade with an Apple Carplay Pioneer head unit with sat nav, reversing camera, 4 channel amp and new speakers all round.

Pretty happy with the car to be honest now. Not too sure what other mod(s) to do next, but some more seat time will help with that I guess
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (04-09-2015), Tcoat (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I'd just drive it for a while. With some seat time under your belt, you will start leaning towards or away from mods.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Don't start modifying it in your head before you even have the car. Get it, drive it, enjoy it. After a while the mods you want will make themselves known to you. You will likely find that things you thought you would change are just fine like they are, and instead you'll end up with mods you didn't even consider until the car asked for them.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post

I'm still on the fence about lowering it for instance. Hate the wheel gap, but love not caring about scraping on driveways or speed humps. Also quite happy with the quality of ride and don't want to mess with it.

In the end the first thing I did was made sure to get floor mats and a boot mat. And the only real mod so far was a full audio upgrade with an Apple Carplay Pioneer head unit with sat nav, reversing camera, 4 channel amp and new speakers all round.

Pretty happy with the car to be honest now. Not too sure what other mod(s) to do next, but some more seat time will help with that I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Don't start modifying it in your head before you even have the car. Get it, drive it, enjoy it. After a while the mods you want will make themselves known to you. You will likely find that things you thought you would change are just fine like they are, and instead you'll end up with mods you didn't even consider until the car asked for them.
These two wise gentleman summed it up perfectly.
Don't try to pick mods on what others are doing just drive the car and then decide what you want to change for you!
fika84 (04-09-2015), Mim (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #11
chubky

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
I agree with the guys above too. I've had my fr-s since August. I only changed the dome light bulb for an LED one before really driving the car around. Your situation sounded similar to me so I'll list out the mods I made in order for your consideration.

1. Interior dome light
2. Grimmspeed front license plate
3a. TRD Intake
3b. Sharkfin antenna
4a. OEM armrest (my fav so far)
4b. Toyota mudguards (you'll either want them or never think about getting them after the first rain w your car.
5. Valenti tail lights (my friend had a deal i couldn't turn down)
6. Shift knob
7. Brighter license plate lights
8. Brighter trunk light
9. Convex side mirrors

I wanted to lower my car when I first got it, but seeing how I sometime scrap the front already going up driveways, I don't want to have to deal with that when I'm running late somewhere.

All my mods are cosmetic since I'm concerned about maintaining the warranty. Anyways, thats my list for my daily driver, for some ideas.
chubky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chubky For This Useful Post:
ringo16 (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think the first thing you should do on this car is lower it. I don't like the massive oem wheel gap on this car. You don't have to slam it to the ground if you're worried about potholes and scraping. You can get a moderate lowering spring set like my pro kits. I still have a wheel gap but its much smaller and IMO looks more natural for a sporty car. I think this is especially important if you're getting aftermarket wheels just because a nice set of wheels will draw attention to your wheel well and a large wheel gap just makes it look a bit...incomplete. That's just my opinion though, I know theres an entire thread on here dedicated to people who love the stock suspension with aftermarket wheels.

After that get a drop in filter just cause its a cheap mod and you have to replace your air filters eventually anyway. It'll liven up your throttle response a bit and probably add a horsepower or two. Just make sure you stay on top of your oil changes cuz performance air filters generally allow more dirt into the engine.

Exhaust depends on what you're after. If you only want sound and you don't care about power, get an axle-back exhaust, it's cheaper. If you want the sound and a better exhaust flow get a full catback like my invidia N1. If you want something quiet, but still give you better flow over stock, the Q300 catback is good. Better exhaust flow will free up a bit more power from the engine but nothing huge. I like to have it anyway just so the sound is more...."legit" haha
Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
Defuser
Remember

Drives: 2015 Asphalt
Most mods are a matter of taste. I'd be silly to assume my tastes would mirror yours. I second/third/whatever those that have already suggested that you drive the car for a while, and mod as you see fit. I also agree that you should buy quality first.
fika84 (04-09-2015), Tcoat (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
Everyone here has it right so far. You need to drive the car to figure out what you would like to improve. A mod may make a change, but it may make a change you don't like or personally need. @VTEC, the performance air filter shouldn't be letting more dirt in, especially if its an oiled one, plus over time it will filter better (albeit because it is getting full).
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V_86 For This Useful Post:
fika84 (04-09-2015), Tcoat (04-09-2015)