follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
aquaman

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
boost and internal mods

Hey I am looking to run an AVO turbo and aim for 300WHP, so about 10lb of boost (from what I have found online). Does anyone know if the stock internals will be able to handle that for a long period of time. If so, what is the most boost anyone is running on stock internals. Or if there is already a thread for this, can you point me in the right direction?
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I did 300whp @ 10PSI pump on a Mustang dyno with the CX Racing kit. My tuner said AVO's peak numbers were a little lower but overall it was pretty close.

How hard are you driving the car? Stock internals can handle 10PSI on pump and 16-17 on e85. You could run a bit more, but you would have to pull a lot of timing and start to lose power. If it's seeing track time I personally would only run maybe 8PSI pump and 14-15 on e85.

I speak from my personal experience in regards to the pump fuel. I haven't ran e85 through these motors, but a few of my friends have and I'm speaking from their experiences.
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
aquaman

Garage
fairly aggressive daily driver and autocross... it'll be on pump gas, nothing less than 91. It sounds like 10PSI is pushing it a little too far for autocross on stock internals. so new valvetrain and low comp pistons sound about right or is there something i am missing
Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
fairly aggressive daily driver and autocross... it'll be on pump gas, nothing less than 91. It sounds like 10PSI is pushing it a little too far for autocross on stock internals. so new valvetrain and low comp pistons sound about right or is there something i am missing
I would run 8PSI. With lower compression, you can run significantly higher levels of boost. I'll personally be doing 18PSI on pump after the current phase of my build is completed. Check out my build thread (link in my signature), it'll show you everything I've done to achieve these numbers
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amir Ghadiri For This Useful Post:
aagun (03-03-2015), hmong337 (03-03-2015), raven1231 (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Ghadiri View Post
I would run 8PSI. With lower compression, you can run significantly higher levels of boost. I'll personally be doing 18PSI on pump after the current phase of my build is completed. Check out my build thread (link in my signature), it'll show you everything I've done to achieve these numbers
Yes you could run higher levels of boost but only because you'll have to to make up for the difference in compression - so changing the pistons / static CR would only really alleviate octane sensitivity and not require you to go with race gas or E85 which is great and all, but most peeps out there who bought this car isn't looking forward to doing an engine build - just yet IMHO.

Quote:
Hey I am looking to run an AVO turbo and aim for 300WHP, so about 10lb of boost (from what I have found online). Does anyone know if the stock internals will be able to handle that for a long period of time. If so, what is the most boost anyone is running on stock internals. Or if there is already a thread for this, can you point me in the right direction?
I was the testbed subject for the then AVO300, and I was running stock internals and fuel system then. If you've got 93 in your area, you'll have an easier time to get to 300WHP and I'm currently at >400WHP on E85. Still runs like a champ, 40k miles without issues.

Since then, I've been averaging 11-12 on pump 92, 15 on E85.

My 2 cents!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
http://www.driftoffice.com
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (03-03-2015), raven1231 (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
aquaman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
I was the testbed subject for the then AVO300, and I was running stock internals and fuel system then. If you've got 93 in your area, you'll have an easier time to get to 300WHP and I'm currently at >400WHP on E85. Still runs like a champ, 40k miles without issues.

My 2 cents!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
sweet have you had any issue with the valvetrain not closing all the way. by 11-12, you mean PSI, correct?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
sweet have you had any issue with the valvetrain not closing all the way. by 11-12, you mean PSI, correct?
valve-trains died with the time, faster then normal with boosted engine (boost product more presser and hits the valve-trains stronger )>< mine stock power had rocker arm and lifter failure (clicks sound) with 110k km on clock .

psi will change with weather stat , cold winter will be higher psi then hot summer .

a good advice is using boost controller and data logs (to me check any FBKC)
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Drift-Office

Quote:
11-12 PSI yes, not sure about this valvetrain issue that you speak of since I'm not sure what you're talking about, but certainly, no CELs, misfires or anything of the sort. And what sort of fuel are you running?

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
aquaman

Garage
Quote:
11-12 PSI yes, not sure about this valvetrain issue that you speak of since I'm not sure what you're talking about, but certainly, no CELs, misfires or anything of the sort. And what sort of fuel are you running?

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
i was reading that the valve springs may need to be changed to stronger ones to prevent the boost from escaping the combustion chamber. i put noting less than 91 in the tank... 92/93 if it's at the pump
Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Drift-Office

Quote:
i was reading that the valve springs may need to be changed to stronger ones to prevent the boost from escaping the combustion chamber. i put noting less than 91 in the tank... 92/93 if it's at the pump
Of the 25 AVOs done (plus dozens of other FI TC and SC setups) - I haven't seen a single issue stemming from said springs. Then again, I'm only going to stock redline, and I wouldn't recommend going any higher...

My 2 cents!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Old 03-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
DigitalVeil92

Drives: Maybe 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Yes you could run higher levels of boost but only because you'll have to to make up for the difference in compression - so changing the pistons / static CR would only really alleviate octane sensitivity and not require you to go with race gas or E85 which is great and all, but most peeps out there who bought this car isn't looking forward to doing an engine build - just yet IMHO.

My 2 cents!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
You have run 11-12psi for the 40K miles? Or just recently? I'm toying with the idea of going FI, but I do not want make any other modifications to the engine internals, so I'm wondering just how much boost I should aim for, with the goals of keeping the internals 100% stock and not significantly shortening the lifespan of said stock engine. At this point I have no intentions of ever tracking the car, just the occasional spirited driving (although who knows, that could change). If I'm running 93 pump, what's a good limit to set with these goals in mind?
DigitalVeil92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i want to go avo this year, but coming from nissan world when you go boost on stock valvetrain you go lower then stock redline to be safe. i plan to cap at 7k maybe even little less depends how the engine feels.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Hey Bob do you know when the stage 3 billet wheel avo kit is coming? And/or if its already here?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #14
Drift-Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Hey Bob do you know when the stage 3 billet wheel avo kit is coming? And/or if its already here?
I believe it's been out already - Paul @AVOturboworld?

I saw one physically @ SEMA, haven't tested it out yet...

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC